Cleaners required, nevermind driving lorries!

She’ll be getting around £221 a week, which is well above the £157 p.w. threshold

For the 2017/18 tax year, those born after 5 April 1948 are entitled to earn up to £11,500 (more if you can use your married allowance) per year before they start paying income tax. So if you’ve got a part-time job and earn under £11,500, you won’t pay a penny in deductions.

You’ll pay ni

TruckOff:

She’ll be getting around £221 a week, which is well above the £157 p.w. threshold

For the 2017/18 tax year, those born after 5 April 1948 are entitled to earn up to £11,500 (more if you can use your married allowance) per year before they start paying income tax. So if you’ve got a part-time job and earn under £11,500, you won’t pay a penny in deductions.

She’ll still have to pay National Insurance. So rather more than “not a penny”.

The Lower Earning Limit for NI will be £5876 from April next year - she’ll be paying NI on anything above that amount (not £11500). As I said, someone appears not to understand how National Insurance works.

Harry Monk:
Probably costs no more to get this qualification than an HGV licence.

Gold fridge card like I have, and you can double that pay, problem is to get a gold card takes years as you have to be indentured so they deserve it. A lorry driver doesn’t warrant it as you simply do a two week course in driving. It isn’t about just paying money out in most jobs, that’s the big difference. I will say this though, for the same price as a HGV licence there are better options for training into a different job that beats lorry driving if it is simply money you are chasing.