Caught speeding twice scotland

Whisky , oil and speeding. Three of the main revenue makers for Scotland.

Oopps I thought the speed limit in Scotland HAD been raised :laughing:

alamcculloch:
The rules changed recently for vans , I think that they are only allowed 60 mph. Have heard of a few drivers donating to the Treasury lately.

50 on a single, 60 on a dual and 70 for motorways for anything not a car derived van …

Shug:

J88wul:
Just received letter for speeding cam van caught me doing 51mph on national speed limit road Scotland so 40mph this is second in a year what a D**k

Anyone experience this? Got letter the first time saying I’ll be sent in front of traffic commissioner if caught again within 3 year

Tia

I was in the same situation last year (50mph both times) and was asked round to the TC’s gaffe. I thought Ms Aitken (TC for Scotland) was very fair and reasonable - well, I would say that since I got off with a warning. Seriously though, I listened to the three cases before mine - everyone got a fair hearing and I thought her decisions were spot-on. My case was the last of the day, and when it had been dealt with, we had a friendly 5-10 minute chat about lorry-driving. You"ll get the chance to explain your case in as much detail as you want and of course offer any mitigating facts, so - stating the obvious, I know - spend a bit of time preparing what you’re going to say. In my own case, I was caught both times by a mobile camera on an uphill overtaking section (i.e.2 lanes in that
direction only) so I pointed out to the TC that it was a good and safe place to get past tractors and slow lorries. I showed her the photo from the camera to prove that it was a 2-lane section. Whether any of that made any difference, I have no idea. Maybe I just got lucky. Anyway, best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Had my hearing today with the Tc and got gave a warning so I’ll just continue what I am doing causing tailbacks and taking abuse for my 40mph hold ups on single carriageways getting bored of pulling into lay bys to let the traffic by lol

Just a point of order on revenue from speeding fines in Scotland. All fines go directly into the coffers of westminster, so there is not one single penny to be gained by the Scottish government by enforcing speeding laws. In fact it could be argued that since enforcement and processing is paid for out of the scottish budget that if money was the issue they would be better off not bothering catching drivers. So basically they are spending a fortune raising money for another government in another country.

I did write to the SNP on the 40mph speed limits at the 2016 election and their response was the discussion is not even on the table, therfor I would guess it will not even be up for discussion until the next parliament, so at best they may discuss it sometime after 2021 - so I wouldn’t bother holding your breath.

WRONG!!!

Fine money goes to the Scottish Government however safety cameras are not funded by fine revenue. The retention of monies received by the Scottish Government from fines and fixed penalties is off-set by an associated reduction in the block grant the Scottish Government receives from the UK Government. This is in accordance with the Fiscal Framework agreed between the UK and Scottish Governments in March 2016 which complemented the powers sets out in the Scotland Act 2016.

Supatramp:
WRONG!!!

Fine money goes to the Scottish Government however safety cameras are not funded by fine revenue. The retention of monies received by the Scottish Government from fines and fixed penalties is off-set by an associated reduction in the block grant the Scottish Government receives from the UK Government. This is in accordance with the Fiscal Framework agreed between the UK and Scottish Governments in March 2016 which complemented the powers sets out in the Scotland Act 2016.

So what do you think that bit means ?
Scotlands ‘Block Grant’ (about £30bn) is reduced by the same value that she raises from fines etc. Which pretty much means there is no gain to the scottish gov by handing out speeding fines.

£30 Billion ■■? do we really get £6,000 each, that’s quite generous of you’s all, :laughing:

Well, thanks for that… we feel the same. :smiley:

The Scottish Government must be thinking about the 40mph speed limit - they seem to have commissioned a study into the impact of raising it to 50
Make of it what you will, its pretty extensive, but not very conclusive one way or the other
transport.gov.scot/media/42 … otland.pdf

one interesting finding was; For single carriageway trunk roads (excluding the A9) the free flow speed for HGVs was nearly 2mph faster in Scotland
Scotland averaged 48.2mph, where as England averaged 46.4 mph

J88wul:
Just received letter for speeding cam van caught me doing 51mph on national speed limit road Scotland so 40mph this is second in a year what a D**k

Anyone experience this? Got letter the first time saying I’ll be sent in front of traffic commissioner if caught again within 3 year

Tia

You don’t say where this happened but there are enough signs about saying trucks max speed 40mph.

I get ■■■■■■ off with the abuse for sticking to 40mph (although I do allow an increase for going downhill on cc).

robroy:
The cynic in me can not help thinking that this faliure in Scotland to come into line with the rest of the UK’s HGV speed limits is purely there to catch you out to raise revenue and nothing else but …especially when there are exceptions made when it suits THEM (A9 Perth/Inverness)
It’s been proven elsewhere that 50mph works (although originally I was not sure it would because of the d/heads amongst us)

It’s supposed to be the ‘‘UNITED’’ Kingdom ffs., as much as they want their independence they aint got it, so bring [zb] things into line with the rest of the country

Another example here is the legal alchohol limit,.

Now I know I’m going to get a effin [zb] storm chucked at me for this off the purists :unamused: , and those who swallow without thinking the official line ■■■■■■■■ on ‘sucking a wine gum affects your judgement’
So I’ll just pre empt with ''Anybody getting behind a wheel ■■■■■■ up deserves all that comes to them., so get that out of the way first eh…but think about it for ONE minute…

The original concept of drink/drive limits on a breathylizer were to stop someone '‘Driving whilst DRUNK’
However, when a guy loses his licence for having a half lager with a meal in Scotland (allegedlly a true event, not sure but go with it ) there is something wrong with a system.

Before those purists I was on about give themselves a coronary/stroke to come back and have a go at me :unamused: …‘‘NO I DON’T drink and drive myself’’ !
sorry to disappoint, my point is based purely on principle.
If you do something in Scotland they deem illegal you’re nicked, but in the next village 100yds over open border …it’s perfectly legal and you aint, in the same country.
Aka a [zb] joke.

But it isn’t the same country! Under the Act of Union Scotland kept its own religion, education system and laws.

Clue United Kingdom

dieseldog999:
latin is always a vague language to translate.
i tried two words in english,and three words in latin came up…i wonder how they translate for you?

obliquitas ambulationis retardant :open_mouth:

I had to do Latin at school. I only remember 2 things.

1] Crassus et Claudia. A crappy attempt to try and engage kids by having them translate a story about these 2 people. Crassus amat Claudia, etc

2] We free the free books of the free children, which translates to: liberos liberos liberos liberos liberos

Bluey Circles:
The Scottish Government must be thinking about the 40mph speed limit - they seem to have commissioned a study into the impact of raising it to 50
Make of it what you will, its pretty extensive, but not very conclusive one way or the other

one interesting finding was; For single carriageway trunk roads (excluding the A9) the free flow speed for HGVs was nearly 2mph faster in Scotland

Not surprised. I am quite appalled at the standard of hgv speeding in Scotland. On the A9 between Stirling and Perth I would say 80-85% of trucks exceed the 50mph dual carriageway limit.

The Highlands IMO see the worst drivers (not just truck drivers), but most truck drivers are pushing you if you stick to 40mph.

I would be interested in knowing why the Scots didn’t raise the limit. It is very restrictive, though there are some roads where even 40 is too fast like parts of the A82. Raising it to 50 with local slower speeds would be a major help in improving productivity as would some ruddy slip roads like at Broxden from the A9 to the A9 so as not to be stuck at the roundabout!

Major work needs to be done on the M80, M876 and M8 because there is major congestion on these roads and often there is no substitute.

Sand Fisher:

Bluey Circles:

Not surprised. I am quite appalled at the standard of hgv speeding in Scotland. On the A9 between Stirling and Perth I would say 80-85% of trucks exceed the 50mph dual carriageway limit.

The Highlands IMO see the worst drivers (not just truck drivers), but most truck drivers are pushing you if you stick to 40mph.

I would be interested in knowing why the Scots didn’t raise the limit. It is very restrictive, though there are some roads where even 40 is too fast like parts of the A82. Raising it to 50 with local slower speeds would be a major help in improving productivity as would some ruddy slip roads like at Broxden from the A9 to the A9 so as not to be stuck at the roundabout!

Major work needs to be done on the M80, M876 and M8 because there is major congestion on these roads and often there is no substitute.

Probably because the English said it was a good idea, the trials for raising the limit were carried out in Scotland and deemed to be a success by all concerned then oddly the country that the trial was carried out in doesn’t implement the result :confused:

Sand Fisher:

Bluey Circles:

The same thing went on in England before the limit was raised and now HGV’s do 45mph on single carriageways. I met with plenty of abuse on roads like the A47 and A17 because I complied with the speed limits. When you are paid by the hour why speed?