Scottish speeding penalties

Amate of mine has just been caught on radar on a scottish dual carriageway doing 75 m p h in a loaded artic,The friendly copper also inserted his own digi card in tacho and did a reading from it, this reading corresponded with the radar reading, i have told him to get off down to Halfords and get himself a decent bike, he is likely to need it for a long time. Has anyone any idea what sort of penalties he can expect, My idea is £1000 fine and 12 month ban. but i am told that Scotland will take a very dim view of the extreme excess and bring in a charge of dangerous driving or driving irresponsibly a new charge used by the sherrif courts… anyones views would be welcome. terry

Deffo a ban. Was he rolling down hill or fiddling the tacho? He’s also breaking C&U regs if he’s over on the max rated speed for the tyres. To give you an example, DURAMOULD super singles are rated to 62mph so if the cop wanted to be arsy he coulda checked all them too.

I think pedal power is the way forward for your mate. Anyone remember that guy that came on here a while ago? He was speeding down the A9 in a loaded artic at 62 or something■■? IIRC, he got a fairly stiff penalty

A ban?, thats a bit steep is it not, depending on the road that may be just 15mph over the limit, if i was caught doing 85mph on the motorway in a car i would expect a fixed penalty at £60 and 3 points.

hell need some serious body armour

cause hell get the book thrown at him

and rightly so imho 75 in a 50 limit FFs

or did he think there was different speed limits in scotland

[zb]in IDIOT deserves everything he gets

and before anyone pipes up about me being whiter than white yes i do speed and if i get caught then ill take the penalty. but this is more than a bit of overrun surely

Does it not get referred to the traffic commissioner if its those sort of speeds?

NB12:
A ban?, thats a bit steep is it not, depending on the road that may be just 15mph over the limit

Do you have a licence? What is the speed limit for a vehicle >7.5 tonnes on a Dual Carriageway with the National Speed Limit?

Clue: It isn’t 60MPH.

At least a 28 day ban, fine, referred to TC.

Where does anyone say its a duel carridgeway?, and if you read my post i have said “depending on the road”.

So less sarcasim and go and practise your letters son.

top cat leek:
Amate of mine has just been caught on radar on a scottish dual carriageway doing 75 m p h in a loaded artic,The friendly copper also inserted his own digi card in tacho and did a reading from it, this reading corresponded with the radar reading, i have told him to get off down to Halfords and get himself a decent bike, he is likely to need it for a long time. Has anyone any idea what sort of penalties he can expect, My idea is £1000 fine and 12 month ban. but i am told that Scotland will take a very dim view of the extreme excess and bring in a charge of dangerous driving or driving irresponsibly a new charge used by the sherrif courts… anyones views would be welcome. terry

it says duel carriageway in first sentence

At 50% over the speed limit the driver will be very lucky to get away with just points and aa hefty fine IMO

The TC will deffo be looking at a suspension on the LGV part of the licence

A lot of grovelling and a good solicitor at court will be needed here me thinks

NB12:
Where does anyone say its a duel carridgeway?, and if you read my post i have said “depending on the road”.

So less sarcasim and go and practise your letters son.

top cat leek:
Amate of mine has just been caught on radar on a scottish dual carriageway doing 75 m p h

:wink:

ive always understood that on the moterway or dual carrigeway the police will take a dim view of hgvs speeding and you will get a ticket… but once you break the speed limit of a car in a hgv then they throw the book at you.

NB12:
A ban?, thats a bit steep is it not, depending on the road that may be just 15mph over the limit, if i was caught doing 85mph on the motorway in a car i would expect a fixed penalty at £60 and 3 points.

Yes but there is a slight difference between yout 1.5t car and 44t of truck. A blow out in a car at that speed can be controllable if you’re on the ball. If you’re mr billy big rig, ‘keeping her lit’, and he gets a blow out on the front axle, what do you think would happen? I’m not Mr Perfect, I’ve done the silly speeds down windy hill etc but I’ve woken up to my stupidity and got my act together.

Punishment usually goes on the percentage of the amount over the limit.

top cat leek:
dual carriageway doing 75 m p h

ROG:
At 50% over the speed limit

A car doing 84 on a motorway is 20% over the limit
A car doing 98 on a motorway is 40% over the limit
A truck on a SC doing 56 is 40% over the limit
A truck on a DC doing 55 is 10% over the limit

Steve-o:

NB12:

Yes but there is a slight difference between yout 1.5t car and 44t of truck. A blow out in a car at that speed can be controllable if you’re on the ball. If you’re mr billy big rig, ‘keeping her lit’, and he gets a blow out on the front axle, what do you think would happen? I’m not Mr Perfect, I’ve done the silly speeds down windy hill etc but I’ve woken up to my stupidity and got my act together.

PC bs in a PC bs country.If he’d been running on a typical yank dual carriageway interstate with a 37 tonner at that speed he’d have got maybe a warning or a ticket at worst and the Canadians regularly run at those type of weights and at around 65-75 mph on dual carriageways as a matter of course without any hysterics concerning blow outs on trucks running at car type speeds on motorways in the right places.They’re only being classed as ‘silly’ speeds by those who don’t know different.But I’ve not heard of anyone from here cancelling their holidays in Canada or the States because they don’t want to share the road with trucks running at the type of speeds which the Brits call ‘silly’ here these days.

Well when you exceed the max speed for that particular tyre then blow outs DO become an issue.

scotstrucker:

top cat leek:

it says duel carriageway in first sentence

:blush: Eh, yeah, can we like pretend that never happened. Apolagies Conor.

75mph is 120 kph so how the ■■■■ did he get it that fast? was a cliff involved?
i think if he’s LUCKY he’ll get a fine and a ban, some judges take a dim view of what can honestly be called dangerous driving

In that case i used to sit in the passenger seat with my dad years ago as he drove dangerously for years, 75mph on the flat in the old 113 before speed limiters, and going down the beattock the speedo went that far round it used to catch the card when slowing down again. I realise times are differant and roads are busier now, but all modern trucks have improved suspension most have disk brakes, but 75mph= a ban and somebody loosing there livlyhood and possibly home etc? its not like anyone died.

Not knowing your mates age or experience, do you know if he was aware of the kind of penalty that his offence could bring him if he is convicted?
The reason I ask is, was this a one time event?, i.e. showing off, inattention,rushing to get the job done you know the sort of thing?. Or is this a regular occurence, in which case, then unless, he is an O/D. his boss may also find that he has to answer some difficult questions.

Im not whiter than white either, I made mistakes in the past and learned the hard way. Im not up to date on the legal side of things in Scotland but I think he will be lucky if he keeps his licence.

I think he is gonna need a book down his trousers when he goes to see the T/C.

Carryfast:

Steve-o:

NB12:

PC bs in a PC bs country.If he’d been running on a typical yank dual carriageway interstate with a 37 tonner at that speed he’d have got maybe a warning or a ticket at worst and the Canadians regularly run at those type of weights and at around 65-75 mph on dual carriageways as a matter of course without any hysterics concerning blow outs on trucks running at car type speeds on motorways in the right places.They’re only being classed as ‘silly’ speeds by those who don’t know different.But I’ve not heard of anyone from here cancelling their holidays in Canada or the States because they don’t want to share the road with trucks running at the type of speeds which the Brits call ‘silly’ here these days.

The main difference here Carryfast are the speed limits, on a Scottish dual carriageway it’s 50mph, in Canada a similar stretch of road would have a 110kph limit (depending on the province) the weights are the same or heavier if it’s a Super B (like the Denby LHV) it’s safe to do 75mph, that is not in doubt, but the roads are very different, traffic is almost non existant, but the main thing to consider is the posted limit, in Scotland it’s 50mph so if you do 75mph (& get caught) then you’re stupid & deserve everything you get :unamused: