Scottish speeding penalties

Steve-o:
If you’re mr billy big rig, ‘keeping her lit’, and he gets a blow out on the front axle, what do you think would happen?

I’m not taking sides but I have had an instant steer axle blowout at 56mph, and although it made a hell of a noise, the truck continued in a perfectly straight line, I didn’t even feel it through the steering wheel.

NB12:
Where does anyone say its a duel carridgeway?

The original poster in the first sentence…

And it’s “dual” carriageway although with the number of 2+ mile overtakes I suppose it could be called a :laughing: “duel”… :laughing:

newmercman:

Carryfast:

Steve-o:

NB12:
A ban?, thats a bit steep is it not, depending on the road that may be just 15mph over the limit, if i was caught doing 85mph on the motorway in a car i would expect a fixed penalty at £60 and 3 points.

Yes but there is a slight difference between yout 1.5t car and 44t of truck. A blow out in a car at that speed can be controllable if you’re on the ball. If you’re mr billy big rig, ‘keeping her lit’, and he gets a blow out on the front axle, what do you think would happen? I’m not Mr Perfect, I’ve done the silly speeds down windy hill etc but I’ve woken up to my stupidity and got my act together.

PC bs in a PC bs country.If he’d been running on a typical yank dual carriageway interstate with a 37 tonner at that speed he’d have got maybe a warning or a ticket at worst and the Canadians regularly run at those type of weights and at around 65-75 mph on dual carriageways as a matter of course without any hysterics concerning blow outs on trucks running at car type speeds on motorways in the right places.They’re only being classed as ‘silly’ speeds by those who don’t know different.But I’ve not heard of anyone from here cancelling their holidays in Canada or the States because they don’t want to share the road with trucks running at the type of speeds which the Brits call ‘silly’ here these days.

The main difference here Carryfast are the speed limits, on a Scottish dual carriageway it’s 50mph, in Canada a similar stretch of road would have a 110kph limit (depending on the province) the weights are the same or heavier if it’s a Super B (like the Denby LHV) it’s safe to do 75mph, that is not in doubt, but the roads are very different, traffic is almost non existant, but the main thing to consider is the posted limit, in Scotland it’s 50mph so if you do 75mph (& get caught) then you’re stupid & deserve everything you get :unamused:

But that was the point wich I was making.If we take that to it’s logical conclusion how long before they post the limit at 30 mph on a road which can be safely used at 70 mph+.It seems obvious that it’s the posted limits and the National limit for trucks which are the problem and are more stupid than those who don’t always abide by them and most of Scotland is’nt really subject to much higher levels of traffic than Canada or the US.The fact is North American drivers would’nt stand for the type of limits and law enforcement being imposed here.If they did they’d all still be running at 55 mph and no one ever said then that all those who exceeded that limit while it was in force were stupid and deserved everything they got.It was a case of mass law breaking which got it lifted.However it’s obvious that the British government know that and that’s why they are using draconian penalties to avert that American scenario.

Hell mend him !!!
no sympathy whatsoever.
its good to know that the roads will be a little bit safer once this clown is banned from sitting in an HGV for a while.

he’s not from Stranraer by any chance ?
i think thats normal behaviour for drivers down that way .

isnt there a state or province over the pond that has now limited trucks to 55 mph? i seem to remember reading that somewhere. but lets face it he aint the only guilty person of doing that kind of speeds in an artic on the m74, some even manage it without the aid of a steep downward slope :open_mouth: i let mine go too 60 down hills ( on a motorway) and i reguarly get overtook by some of the large firms. i’v found the article about it and it 105kph torontosun.com/news/canada/2 … 6-sun.html

Update on my mate… He has been notified of a fine of £120.00 and 3 points, If he pays within 7 days thats the end of the matter. If not he will have to attend court and then it will be anyones guess, I think he must have been saying his prayers over the last few weeks.
To me he is a very, very, lucky person. good luck to him and lets hope he will now slow down and learn a bit of sense.regards, Terry

top cat leek:
Update on my mate… He has been notified of a fine of £120.00 and 3 points, If he pays within 7 days thats the end of the matter. If not he will have to attend court and then it will be anyones guess, I think he must have been saying his prayers over the last few weeks.
To me he is a very, very, lucky person. good luck to him and lets hope he will now slow down and learn a bit of sense.regards, Terry

Phew! I would say lucky but it does set a precedent for anyone else on here who has the same problem.
It’s not that difficult fully loaded to be at 75mph downhill and you’re not concentrating on the speedo for a moment, especially if there’s something good on TV or the chow mein is ready in the microwave, ping …75mph :smiley: :smiley:

NB12:
In that case i used to sit in the passenger seat with my dad years ago as he drove dangerously for years, 75mph on the flat in the old 113 before speed limiters, and going down the beattock the speedo went that far round it used to catch the card when slowing down again. I realise times are differant and roads are busier now, but all modern trucks have improved suspension most have disk brakes, but 75mph= a ban and somebody loosing there livlyhood and possibly home etc? its not like anyone died.

YEAH…BUT THEY COULD HAVE!