Can't pass class 2

The vehicle I am using is around 10.5 metres long. There are a few junctions I really struggle with. Once I failed just because I was close to kerb on left turn and i let vehicle roll forward putting myself in a position where i had to wait exceedingly long for oncoming on new road to give me way before I could turn. Examiner said I could have used my space a little better and bigger vehicles can make the turn. I could have put wheels on kerb as the dedicated footpath was more than 2 metres away and there was a grass strip in between. Not sure if that would have been a serious fault. I did not stall once on that test

One exit roundabouts have not so far been a problem. Maybe it’s all the exits and lanes causing anxiety

IronEddie:

dieseldog999:
6 replies,and not 1 from a cynic.
world record for a troll.
if on the remote chance its a serious question,then heres your best option for the future.
people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search

Actually I read this thread before anyone had commented. Assumed it simply must be a troll post and decided to stay silent.

It’s too daft for words. The gears thing I could understand but the roundabout thing gives it away.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On first reading I had never thought op was a troll.
On doing my C+E we were 2 two 1 and the other guy was abysmal he no lane control no road manners wasn’t interested in listening to the instructor it was actually like he was paying his money to just go for a drive. So I know there are people out there like this
But he could change gear on a knock over… So can’t be the same guy. :unamused:

I’m not going to give advice on roundabouts You should be able to work it out you are a car driver.

Although Peter commands great respect on here and I do extend respect to him and this opinion is directed at “all training company’s”.
I personally don’t like the idea of learning in a small “puddle hopper” it’s giving a person a License. We’re training to become professional drivers if we can’t cut the mustard we should not be doing it…
The first job you get A proper truck then hit every thing before you get to the yard gate and take them out too.

Question to the OP. Did you pay for guaranteed pass or are paying every time.
If the latter go and have 2-3 assessment drives with other companies and ask them for some honest advice. It’s actually very important that you like and get on with the instructor.

No I did not pay for a guaranteed pass. I am paying a fair bit for each retest. Might be worth downsizing and going for auto. Are most cat C vehicles around 2.4m in width. I may need some time to adjust to a new vehicle

Am I missing a joke here?

I personally don’t like the idea of learning in a small “puddle hopper” it’s giving a person a License. We’re training to become professional drivers if we can’t cut the mustard we should not be doing it…
The first job you get A proper truck then hit every thing before you get to the yard gate and take them out too.

There is method in the madness! Bear in mind that a huge majority of candidates have driven nothing bigger than a Fiesta. So a 12 tonne 8.2m vehicle is massive in comparison. Having learned on a vehicle of that size, grown in confidence and skill, a vehicle a couple of metres longer is no issue. I have no anecdotal evidence of anyone running into problems with a larger vehicle.

Some trainers use larger vehicles - mainly because they are plentiful on the used vehicle market. As we buy our vehicles brand new, we don’t have that issue.

My reasoning also follows through to artics. Here, we run full size tri-axle artics with hefty units - far bigger than generally used for training. But people training on CE have, as a minimum, passed a test on CAT C. So their skill-set is different and there is a good opportunity to use industry compatible equipment.

I have used this formula for many years with no issues. Just my thoughts.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

There is method in the madness! Bear in mind that a huge majority of candidates have driven nothing bigger than a Fiesta. So a 12 tonne 8.2m vehicle is massive in comparison. Having learned on a vehicle of that size, grown in confidence and skill, a vehicle a couple of metres longer is no issue. I have no anecdotal evidence of anyone running into problems with a larger vehicle.

Some trainers use larger vehicles - mainly because they are plentiful on the used vehicle market. As we buy our vehicles brand new, we don’t have that issue.

My reasoning also follows through to artics. Here, we run full size tri-axle artics with hefty units - far bigger than generally used for training. But people training on CE have, as a minimum, passed a test on CAT C. So their skill-set is different and there is a good opportunity to use industry compatible equipment.

I have used this formula for many years with no issues. Just my thoughts.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete I don’t mean to pick on any particular company. In the most part you are probably correct for 90% of candidates but there the odd few that just can’t do it and should not become professional drivers but pay there money and on test day just scrape through.
I’m sure you know I’m a newbie to this trucking thing and and recently have been on a few assessment drives and in conversation with them been told that a high percentage of new pass have problems doing the basic basics.