A question on roundabouts

Ok. So you’re in a truck approaching a roundabout. It has two lanes and no markings specific per lane.

The roundabout has 4 exits. You are at 6 o’clock, next exit is 7 o’clock, then 8 o’clock and the last is at 1 o’clock. After that it is where you are now.

The 1 o’clock is your exit; it has 2 lanes coming off the roundabout with another junction close by, and for that the right hand lane is to turn right and the left hand lane is for straight on or left.

So leaving my exit to go straight at the next junction what lane do I need to be in please?

Hi Dented

I am going to assume that exits 1 and 2 are fairly normal sized roads similar to the road you are approaching from and the exit you wish to take.

I would teach to approach the roundabout in the right hand lane with the right indicator on. Remain in the right lane until after you have passed exit number 2, then after checking nearside mirror change signal to a left indicator and when clear move over as soon as possible to depart the roundabout in the left hand lane. This should be fairly straight forward under normal conditions because there will be a fair distance between exits 2 and 3.

The assumption I made at the start is because if exits 1 and 2 are only very small roads not used by many vehicles it may be that trainers have an agreement with examiners that the left lane should be used for the entire process.

It is not unusual for training schools and examiners to discuss specific junctions due to local conditions and problems and agree a preferred course of action.

Hope this helps although my reply is based on the info you gave and not from personal experience of the area.

On the basis this is a real road, why not tell us and see can search it on google maps and see for ourselves, that way you get a more clearer answer.

Indeed, you are correct and I had planned on doing this anyway. Not sure if my phone data connection will let me do Google StreetView but… If I vanish, the answer is ‘no’ :confused: :confused: :blush: :unamused:

Ok. I’m still here :smiley:

Holbrooks Lane, Coventry

This image should show you facing the roundabout, with a left turn, then another left turn. The ‘right’ turn is the other side of the island and you can see on the road for that coming towards you there is a branch for that blue bus in it’s own lane.

The roundabout doesn’t have lane markings. Oddly, I thought it did but never mind.

The advice from the trainer here (LGVTrainer) early this morning was what I thought it should be but that went against advice I had had in the past that was supposed to be someone in authority and training me. I won’t mention who as it would just cause you all to point and laugh, but anyway.

The first left lane is a small side road to industrial units. The next one leads to the A444 where another left will have you soon on the M6 at J3. The last exit has two lanes, where the right hand lane usually has a queue.

Dar is probably qualified to answer this too as he used to live down the road from here…

Clearly I was led astray :frowning: Thanks for your input :wink:

Confused how you know I used to live up the road from there. But yes I know the roundabout very well.

The junction is as you describe it, but as I am not an LGV TRAINER, I would not want to give you an answer that he thought inappropriate :frowning:

No, the person that told me I should stay in the left hand lane all the way around isn’t on this forum, but if he was then he’d probably be ripped to shreds by now :smiley:

The words that LGVTrainer from here seem to be correct and are backed up elsewhere, and seemingly by others on here too.

Thankfully I have not come a-cropper on that junction :astonished: But it is helpful to get he right answer where I can on this :unamused:

I would definately use the right hand lane, else there is no point it being there, after all you are turning right (third exit).

+1
Turning right, as there are two lanes, gotta be in the right hand lane :smiley: :laughing:

Seeing as you passed, did you use this roundabout on your test and if you did which lane did you use■■?

Thanks Fox. Alas no, I did my test a hundred miles from that roundabout but as usual the advice here and from the trainer was most helpful :slight_smile:

LGVTrainer:
I would teach to approach the roundabout in the right hand lane with the right indicator on. Remain in the right lane until after you have passed exit number 2, then after checking nearside mirror change signal to a left indicator and when clear move over as soon as possible to depart the roundabout in the left hand lane. This should be fairly straight forward under normal conditions because there will be a fair distance between exits 2 and 3.

I agree with most of that but with one major difference. If in an artic I would use the left hand lane all the way round. It is much easier to prevent unseen ‘sneakers’ up your nearside from that position than if you are dragging your trailer across that lane. You can keep a better eye on those who think that overtaking artics on a roundabout is ok from that position too.

I am, of course, assuming this is in the UK with a RHD wagon.

However, having being involved in long and protracted arguements before on this very subject I will now respectfully withdraw and lower my head below the parapet. :wink: :smiley:

Thanks Spardo :slight_smile:

My examiner (Class C) said that you should basically consider anything before 12 o’clock as left and anything after as right and indicate accordingly. Same for lane choice, unless specifically marked otherwise.