Hello everybody, failed test,could I have some advice please

Hi there,
I did my class 2 test at swynnerton on saturday and failed for incorrect position for turning right at junction.
It was on a round about with four exits and I was instructed to take the third exit ,which was straight ahead so I stayed in the left hand lane. The examiner explained afterwards that I should have been in the right hand lane. There was no road markings and the exit wasnt even on the sign, the road approaching was single carriageway but just seperated to to lanes just before the junction.

So my question is what are the rules for which lane to use on approach to a round about regarding two and three lane approaches and various exits.

Thanks in advance

what was the wording of the examiner?word for word?..ive just come off my class 2 and 1 and passed in wrexham (the lowest pass rate in the country)my instructor said to me when the examiner asks you which way to go the clue is in the question,if he says at the roundabout turn right then its right hand lane,if he says go straight ahead or left then its left hand lane unless the road markings or signs tell you otherwise.

clarkyboy:
what was the wording of the examiner?word for word?..ive just come off my class 2 and 1 and passed in wrexham (the lowest pass rate in the country)my instructor said to me when the examiner asks you which way to go the clue is in the question,if he says at the roundabout turn right then its right hand lane,if he says go straight ahead or left then its left hand lane unless the road markings or signs tell you otherwise.

Hi Clarkyboy,
As i can remember it , he said at the roundabout take the third exit for stafford a 5013. I dont recall him saying anything about turn right .

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome nic99 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:** ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg)

MULTI EXIT ROUNDABOUT THREAD

Ok Rog, look forward to it.
cheers
Greg

I was under impression that if any exits are 12 oclock and after then its a right hand lane job■■? A lot of HGV drivers, around my area anyways, stick to the left lane though, dontknow why but I presume its to do with size of vehicle? Not wanting cars going up the blind side etc??

Hi nic99. I may be able to help you out here, as i did both my C & C + E at swynnerton.

I suspect you were heading into Stafford from Eccleshall, (top left road heading down to the right towards roundabout) google arial map below.

Now the first exit is for the M6 North, 2nd exit is a dual carriageway with both lanes running straight off the roundabout, the 3rd exit is the A5013 Eccleshall road heading into Stafford town, down past Esporta and Maccy D’s.

if you look carefully, the 3rd exit is actually past (only just) the 12’oclock position as you are facing that direction, making it a right hand lane approach. also that road is on the road signs, but i also admit that lane markings would help a lot on that roundabout, as theres so much going on.

Anyway Chin up , and dont let this stop you going for it again, its well worth it in the end. :slight_smile:

What did your instructor say when you explained it to him ■■? get him to take you to the area so you know the type of thing for the next time

Keep ur chin up boy took me 2 attempts been driving 30yrs now tried other things once in an office but couldnt standit so 6mths later was back on the road

BigJon:
Hi nic99. I may be able to help you out here, as i did both my C & C + E at swynnerton.

I suspect you were heading into Stafford from Eccleshall, (top left road heading down to the right towards roundabout) google arial map below.

Google Maps

Now the first exit is for the M6 North, 2nd exit is a dual carriageway with both lanes running straight off the roundabout, the 3rd exit is the A5013 Eccleshall road heading into Stafford town, down past Esporta and Maccy D’s.

if you look carefully, the 3rd exit is actually past (only just) the 12’oclock position as you are facing that direction, making it a right hand lane approach. also that road is on the road signs, but i also admit that lane markings would help a lot on that roundabout, as theres so much going on.

Anyway Chin up , and dont let this stop you going for it again, its well worth it in the end. :slight_smile:

Hi BigJon,
Yes , thats the place alright.
Well I know for next time .
Thanks very much for your help.

Greg

nick2008:
What did your instructor say when you explained it to him ■■? get him to take you to the area so you know the type of thing for the next time

Keep ur chin up boy took me 2 attempts been driving 30yrs now tried other things once in an office but couldnt standit so 6mths later was back on the road

Hi Nick,
Well he said the examiner must have said turn right, but he didnt.
I thought my instructer was very good but he told me while I was doing the course that at that roundabout you can use either lane, whichever the examiner tells you and he also told me that anything up to 3 oclock is left hand lane.
Im not trying to make excuses, it was me alone who failed but im more determined to pass next time!!

nic99:

nick2008:

Hi Nick,
Well he said the examiner must have said turn right, but he didnt.
I thought my instructer was very good but he told me while I was doing the course that at that roundabout you can use either lane, whichever the examiner tells you and he also told me that anything up to 3 oclock is left hand lane.
Im not trying to make excuses, it was me alone who failed but im more determined to pass next time!!

This is the DSA way of thinking for such a roundabout as shown on the map.

Any exit between 10 o clock and 2 o clock is regarded as straight on.

The examiner, at the start of the road drive, tells you that you will follow the road ahead unless told other.

The approach to this roundabout has 2 lanes without any markings.

For you to regard the third exit as a right turn the examiner MUST tell you “At the roundabout , TURN RIGHT, third exit” - that is a right lane job.

If the examiner says “at the roundabout take the third exit” then it is to be done as ‘straight on’ - that is a left lane job.

It all comes down to what the examiner actually said.

I am stating the DSA way here and not going into a debate as to the rights and wrongs for post test driving.

The info for what I have stated comes directly from the DSA chief examiners office.

What can I say. This is just typical of the DSA.

If I am looking at this right , then the left lane would of been my choice.

Some of these roundabouts are like giant one way streets where a signal depending on road markings is confusing. In particular where designated lanes are marked with destinations or road info.

Alot of it comes down to local knowledge, meaning none locals will probably negotiate the RB in a different way, but most of it comes down to confusing info by the highway agency, local council planners and the idiots who design these sort of things ,on computer screens. The latter being the ones who will probably never use the RB in real time.

Look on this as taxation rather than a driving failure.
Go for it again good luck for next time.
I rarely drive on R.B.S but dont go all the way to the hub as my examiner said that I should _I failed aswell_In my opinion with blind spots its dangerous exiting with faster traffic determined to creep up your near side.
Hope you get it next time.

Rog wrote:-

If the examiner says “at the roundabout take the third exit” then it is to be done as ‘straight on’ - that is a left lane job.

Not always the case Rog - well not in Peterborough anyway. Trainees should always pay attention to the signs, sometimes, particularly on roundabouts a trainee has to make his/her mind up whether it is road ahead or right turn, when the examiner says take the third exit.

Or they sometimes word it as.

At the next RB take the third exit it’s the road leading off to the right.

Or follow the road signs for Stafford etc.

Or Follow the road ahead it’s the third /second /first exit signposted New Zealand.

Or go straight ahead at the next three RB’s

Or give you confusing instructions that they have made up themselves in order to generate a quota fail :bulb:

Thanks for all your input.
Lets hope I dont get that rb next time with a different examiner and fail cause I should have used the left hand lane.Now that wouldnt be funny.

Just for the record there is no road marking and the sign on the approach doesnt show that exit, im pretty sure thats the case.

Smart Mart:

Not always the case Rog - well not in Peterborough anyway. Trainees should always pay attention to the signs, sometimes, particularly on roundabouts a trainee has to make his/her mind up whether it is road ahead or right turn, when the examiner says take the third exit.

All I can say to that is that they need to speak to the chief examiner for clarification.

nic99:
Hi there,
I did my class 2 test at swynnerton on saturday and failed for incorrect position for turning right at junction.
It was on a round about with four exits and I was instructed to take the third exit ,which was straight ahead so I stayed in the left hand lane. The examiner explained afterwards that I should have been in the right hand lane. There was no road markings and the exit wasnt even on the sign, the road approaching was single carriageway but just seperated to to lanes just before the junction.

So my question is what are the rules for which lane to use on approach to a round about regarding two and three lane approaches and various exits.

Thanks in advance

When given the instruction take the 3rd exit look at the roundabout and check lane markings etc…If no markings and your exit is past 12 o’clock it’s a right turn ( right hand lane ) Or as Smart Mart replied

The person who taught you should have highlighted that roundabout as it SEEMS to causes a few problems.

All I can say to that is that they need to speak to the chief examiner for clarification

Well I can only speak as I find - never having asked the chief examiner Trevor Wedge about this particular topic myself when I have spoken to him - nor presumably have the examiners in Peterborough. I am of course speaking of LGV/PCV tests, maybe the chief examiner is referring to cars.

Instructions should be clear, and in good time. The test is not at the moment about navigation. Trevor WEdge knows F***k about truck driving and is just a minion to his ladyship. No doubt Wedgy will end up with his chum Rob ■■■■■■■■ at BS£/Atom and other chief ( Joke) examiners at another such unholy alliance.

The old adage, of if the exit is after twelve o clock is right is rubbish. Every one seems to know this apart from our lords( lady) and masters the DSA.

I would agree that the 12 o clock rule sometimes exists, but in modern driving this is nor always the case.