Roundabouts - help

Basically I have my class 2 test on friday. My instructor has said that all my other driving, on the way down to the test centre, is a pass. I am good with my mirrors, my gears, reading the road ahead, my reverse, blah blah blah, but roundabouts are a concern. I have had two instructors tell me what I need to do, and I understand, but the back wheels just keep on either going onto the kerb, or going into a lane that they shouldn’t be in. I have tried taking it nice and slow, looking in my mirrors loads, and it just keeps on happening. Is there any advice, or perhaps the same advice I have received from my instructors (who have been great by the way) but worded differently so it might hopefully click?

Roundabouts are tricky as they are all about how you set yourself up. Are you catching the curb on the entry to the roundabout or in the middle of one?

Go even slower. If you’re straying out of lane you’re going too fast.

Also, turning left have offside wheels following the right line, turning right have nearside wheels following the left line.

Just steer to follow the line-slowly.

No prizes for getting round quickly…

This thread is going round in circles.

eagerbeaver:
This thread is going round in circles.

You’re just loopy! :grimacing:

But seriously, I’m guessing you are not getting your nose in deep enough (So to speak) and are turning too early. As a newbie, it’s easy to over estimate the depth (or lack of it) of the cab/front of the truck. So you are a bit tentative about sticking it out there, and as a result, your back wheels are taking the shorter route and kissing the curbs. I personally find that trying to hold the inside lane of a smallish roundabout to be the worst, as you have to aim the front passenger side of the truck pretty much into the lane on the outside of you, where you also have poor visibility. :cry: So it might be that you need to be a little braver with sticking the nose of the truck deeper into some of your turns. However, without seeing your driving, that’s just a guess and my lawyers will say the same!!! :laughing:

But don’t worry pal, it comes with practice! :smiley:

If there are markings dividing the lanes, just make sure the front wheel on the outside of the turn hugs that line. The rear wheels should follow nicely (at the right speed of course).

I’m sure your instructors can tell you the basics, its not difficult to understand. But somehow its not working for you. One little tip that might help you;

‘Its not how you drive round the corner that matters, its how you drive up to it that makes the difference.’

In other words, position your truck better on the approach and remember to steer smoothly with pull-push technique so that your steering is more controlled. Good steering technique is never a chore, many think pull-push is a pointless method but seeing a well honed professional style must be a wonderful sight for your driving examiner.

You can pass the test so long as you have ‘control’ of the steering in a variety different methods, rotational, one handed, two handed push+pull but it might not be helping you steer accurately.

But this is all guess work, out of personal interest, what is the wheelbase of the truck? 6 metre? Ours are 5 metre wheelbase, much easier to get round curves - makes a big difference. Do any driving schools out there use any rear steers? I’ve been tempted to look at one but I worry that rear end sweep would be a greater danger with new drivers, I used one supplied by a customer one week and I can tell you now you would not be running kerbs if you had a rear steer truck.

Hi,

Sounds like the most pertinent advice has already been dispensed…
But… I think the main point to re-iterate is that, and quoting from your OP, ‘but the back wheels just keep on either going onto the kerb, or going into a lane that they shouldn’t be in.’
The back wheels just don’t do anything themselves. You control the truck, and so, them.

From what you describe, it seems likely that you are not positioning your cab, and so your front wheels, in the ‘correct’ place on approach.
If you do this, as others have pointed out, your progress into and throughout the roundabout should be relatively simple.

I was going to suggest you could have an issue that I had on training - and that is replicating a nasty little car habit of approaching the roundabout and at the last minute, as I slowed to a stop at the give-way line, turning my steering in, to the left.
That caused me a few tyre/kerb closeness issues.

Good luck and hope you get it nailed.
Jon

Kerb hitting or driving on is a no no unless there is no other option such as physically not enough room to do other

It is not an issue to go over white lines if necessary & planned but it is an issue if not planned

Plan what you need to do for a situation and then do it safely with as little as possible inconvenience for others

Be very aware of everything going on around you, both nearside and offside. Watch those mirrors like a hawk, and ease your cab and trailer on the safest path you can. White lines tend to be drawn with cars in mind, and it is often hopelessly optimistic to expect to be able to put an articulated lorry down the same path. Instead, you may need to take command of an adjacent lane to allow you to go around safely. Do it with courtesy, take it slowly, and most people will give you the room.

I got a minor fault on one of my tests at a roundabout. The examiner said it might have been a major fault, but he could see I had noticed a white van in a potentially dangerous position and I was watching him closely in my mirror as I navigated safely through so that was what saved me.

Had my final lesson before my test today. Although will be driving up to the test centre with the instructor tomorrow. My positioning was pretty much spot on on every roundabout. Thanks for the advice. I feel more confident that it won’t be a roundabout that will fail me, but not 100% sure that I won’t fail full stop. I was more relaxed today, hopefully I can positively channel my nerves tomorrow and be really focused on all the little things now.

cufcmike:
Had my final lesson before my test today. Although will be driving up to the test centre with the instructor tomorrow. My positioning was pretty much spot on on every roundabout. Thanks for the advice. I feel more confident that it won’t be a roundabout that will fail me, but not 100% sure that I won’t fail full stop. I was more relaxed today, hopefully I can positively channel my nerves tomorrow and be really focused on all the little things now.

Was it a 5 day course with a ‘I have forgotten how to drive’ day on day 3 :question:
If it was then that is normal :laughing:

ROG:

cufcmike:

Was it a 5 day course with a ‘I have forgotten how to drive’ day on day 3 :question:
If it was then that is normal :laughing:

It was! Underestimated how mentally draining it could be.

Just seen this as I’ve been away and regulars will know I don’t do t’internet on hols! But the advice has already been given. Hope it works for you tomorrow. And don’t convince yourself that you’ll fail on something else just because you’ve got this bit sorted!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tockwith Training:
Out of personal interest, what is the wheelbase of the truck? 6 metre? Ours are 5 metre wheelbase, much easier to get round curves - makes a big difference. Do any driving schools out there use any rear steers? I’ve been tempted to look at one but I worry that rear end sweep would be a greater danger with new drivers, I used one supplied by a customer one week and I can tell you now you would not be running kerbs if you had a rear steer truck.

I’m not sure in the long run, how it helps to pass your test in a truck that is far easier to drive than ones you’re lightly to face once you have passed…
I went straight into an 18t truck after my test, which was bigger than the one I passed in, which I’m pretty sure was a 12t. A week later I was in a 26t with rear steer. And on the point of rear steer, yes it helps reduce the rear of the truck from cutting in and taking a shorter route around corners, but there is a price to pay for that! The tail swing can be huge on hard lock, and you could easily wipe out pedestrians in a big rigid like a 26t, as there is so much rear overhang on them. Road positioning can also be different, as you have to pay far more attention to what is going on with the rear of the truck, and it’s easy to get stuck making a right turn, as if you do, your arse end will take out the traffic coming up your inside. So nothing like a little 12t truck used for tests…

Anyway, my point is that a driver should be capable of handling a normal 12t truck without additional assistance/aid, as if they can’t do that, they are going to be in big trouble when let loose alone on the roads! :open_mouth:

Sadly I failed today. All the instructors were talking before I took my test about the hell route, that they can’t believe they actually send drivers down. This route features the roundabout from hell also. Funnily enough, I didn’t fail on the roundabout from hell that everyone fails at, but I failed on a right turn at a box junction with a padestrian crossing in front of it. I didn’t realise its ok to sit inside the box junction as you wait to turn right, so long as the exit is clear. But I know this now! My instructor witnessed my reverse and said “at least your reverse was spot on.” He seemed just as baffled as me when he saw there were two minors for control on my reverse. Been practising it all week and today was the best one I have done! And before you ask, no I didn’t use a shunt.

But I feel like I know more having failed, and will be taking a retest at the soonest opportunity.

Sorry to hear that pal, but like the attitude of getting straight back on it! :smiley:

Yes you have to do it all over again, but you now know what to expect and that should help, as you won’t be so nervous…
I’m sure that should help!

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

cufcmike:
I didn’t realise its ok to sit inside the box junction as you wait to turn right, so long as the exit is clear. But I know this now!

How come you did not cover this on your car test training :question:

I’m surprised the trainer didn’t cover this during the course.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

cufcmike:
I didn’t realise its ok to sit inside the box junction as you wait to turn right, so long as the exit is clear. But I know this now!

How come you did not cover this on your car test training :question:

Genuinely never encountered a box junction like it where my car test was, or indeed anywhere else, and I have covered a lot of miles all over. There was a padestrian crossing right by the box junction, and I didn’t want to block that either. But anyhow, as soon as I failed on that, I learnt from it!

Anyhow, passed today at the second attempt. Well, fourth attempt, but the DSA were on strike for 2 of my test attempts, so I never got to take it! Will take my CPC mod 4 in the new year, and then on to the road I go!