Cancelled Test - Gutted

ROG:

Franglais:
… but without testing you’re guessing.

An intelligent common sense approach is the key as there will be no testing to see if someone has had it until after all of us who have had it are no longer immune

Watch the second spike come in the middle of the NHS winter crisis :exclamation:

Do you know something the Doctors don’t?
“of us who have had it, are no longer immune”.
I see three assumptions there

1. You’ve had it.
  2. Having it gives immunity.
  3. That immunity is short lived.
    You’re also making assumptions about the time scale of tests.
    IMHO a common sense approach doesn’t rely on guess work.
    If you assume you have had this virus, when you haven’t, you could become an unwitting spreader when/If you do later catch it.
    If you assume you’ve had it when you haven’t, you may avoid the precautions to prevent it, and catch it when it could be avoided.
    Mostly, I agree with your posts, this one I think you’re wrong.

It is also likely to be necessary to know who is immune but still a carrier.

cav551:
It is also likely to be necessary to know who is immune but still a carrier.

Not being a Dr I’m open to being corrected, but immunity will only come from having been infected and recovered, or having been vaccinated?
People in those groups won’t have live virus in their own “precious bodily fluids”, but, they could still cross contaminate, through carrying fluids from infected people to others. Even a vaccinated health worker needs to swop clean gear between every patient to protect the patients, not themselves.

Franglais:
carrying fluids from infected people to others. Even a vaccinated health worker needs to swop clean gear between every patient to protect the patients, not themselves.

Totally agree

Then comes the view - should this virus be shielded from one patient to another when in the end almost everyone is likely to get it?
Trump seems to have that sort of view but in a more extreme way - he seems to want all to get it even if all at once so he can get his economy moving again

ROG:

Franglais:
carrying fluids from infected people to others. Even a vaccinated health worker needs to swop clean gear between every patient to protect the patients, not themselves.

Totally agree

Then comes the view - should this virus be shielded from one patient to another when in the end almost everyone is likely to get it?
Trump seems to have that sort of view but in a more extreme way - he seems to want all to get it even if all at once so he can get his economy moving again

Trump seems to have a “difficult relationship” with expert advice, truth and facts…let’s leave him out of this?
It is Not inevitable that everyone will soon get the virus.
Time is being used now to develop vaccines. 9 months? 18?
And new treatment and management of cases is developing: lying patients on their stomach rather than their back, using existing drugs in this new illness. (Existing anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce lung damage).
Letting the virus run free won’t help the economy that much either. Having everyone off sick with flu, fewer carers, resulting in non covid deaths, lost production, lost demand? Whatever choices are made, none are free.

I personally can see this virus being around till a jab is available some time next year

Not sure what will happen with the dvsa as surely they cant stop passing people till some time next year as its all tests

Would going forward trainer’s have to put a plastic partition screen up

At some point its got to be relaxed as the world will crumble with most people claiming 80% from the government

I know mates whos not seen there kids thru all this and that alone is causing depression thru out the country

It’s unprecedented times but at some point they have to try get it back to normal

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It’s foolish to predict when training/tests will get back to normal. So, for a moment, I’ll be foolish. I reckon we’ll have the extra 3 weeks of “lockdown” then we’ll see some relaxation of the rules bit by bit.

So my prediction is that training/tests will get back to normal at the end of June/early July. To be clear, I have no inside information. It’s simply a gut feeling combined with logic.

Watch this space and see how wrong I am!!!

Stay safe everyone, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

cav551:
This will not be what prospective drivers and the training schools wish to hear but that doesn’t alter its relevance.

Perhaps all of you need to consider very, very carefully the chances of obtaining employment as a driver following this epidemic. There will be in all probability thousands of experienced drivers, from companies which have closed down, looking for work when things resume. You may well be better off cutting your losses rather than shelling out for further instruction and vehicle hire. How many weeks’ shopping etc need to be taken into account? My advice would be to leave any decision until at least six months after we are absolutely certain that this is all over.

The other side of the coin of course is that the epidemic takes a devestating toll on the current number of HGV drivers and there are vacancies galore.

Which outcome are you going to bet upon?

This is pretty good advice to any wannabe drivers thinking of doing their tests. I started the process of getting my licences back in 2011, 3 years after the 2008 financial crash and let me tell you by the time I had everything ready to go in 2012 getting a job was pretty near impossible!

I should add I live within commuting distance of the golden triangle in the midlands and I still had to accept a job that was the pits in terms of pay and everything else to get a foot on the ladder - and that was after over 6 months of trying! By the way I now have a very good job with great pay, T&C’s etc but that took me 8 years to get too in a much easier environment than we will see going forward.

I personally think the implications of this world wide situation we are currently experiencing will be a lot worse than what we saw back in 2008.

Even Pete Smyth is posting in the “main forum” about medicals being available which says a lot about the need to drum up business and get “new” drivers in the industry … no personal attack intended by the way as I know you normally post a lot of great info and knowledge for new people entering the industry.

Even Pete Smyth is posting in the “main forum” about medicals being available which says a lot about the need to drum up business and get “new” drivers in the industry … no personal attack intended by the way as I know you normally post a lot of great info and knowledge for new people entering the industry.

I dont take that as any sort of personal attack. There’s a couple of reasons for me “pushing” medicals: firstly it’s a service we always offer, but take up was low as the phones have virtually stopped ringing. To offer the service we have to pay the doctor for a minimum number so it’s important that we achieve that. And we did - just!

Secondly, at the time of posting, there was virtually no provision for D4 medicals so I could imagine a degree of panic amongst drivers whose licence was coming up for renewal during the lockdown. So I was genuinely trying to help - and some folk were very grateful. Now, of course, the medical requirement for renewals has been lifted for a year so the situation has changed yet again.

We are taking contact details for anyone who would like a medical and, when we have sufficient numbers, the doctor will come and do them. But at the moment we are not working to a date.

In the meantime, stay safe everyone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I hope that everyone is keeping well, and for the people in a similar situation to myself, hopefully we won’t have too long to wait.
The DVSA have still confirmed my test for the 22nd June, so fingers crossed that it goes ahead and likewise for anyone else. What does raise my suspicions, is why was this date given so long ago and is still confirmed for the same date?
It seems that the way things are going that this date complies with the rumoured easing of lockdown measures which have been leaked by government sources lately. Either great timing or clever pre-planning.

Good luck all, and let us hope that business thrives, for all our sake.

Skids78:
Hi. Thanks for your comments. I hope that everyone is keeping well, and for the people in a similar situation to myself, hopefully we won’t have too long to wait. The DVSA have still confirmed my test for the 22nd June, so fingers crossed that it goes ahead and likewise for anyone else. What does raise my suspicions, is why was this date given so long ago and is still confirmed for the same date? It seems that the way things are going that this date complies with the rumoured easing of lockdown measures which have been leaked by government sources lately. Either great timing or clever pre-planning. Good luck all, and let us hope that business thrives, for all our sake.

I think this was the lock down length and the government didnt tell us the entirety of it due to fear of revolt on ppl giving the middle finger up to it

In 3 week steps it gives everyone a goal and it dont feel as long

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk