Fledgling Truck Driver - Scarcity of Driving Tests

Having been furloughed on two occasions over the past 12 months, and my work position beginning to look precarious, I decided to look into LGV driving as a possible alternative. To date, I have bought and read the DVSA books, passed modules 1&2 (theory, hazard perception and case studies) and been on a driver assessment outing in a Class C vehicle, which I enjoyed. Although surprised at first at the high driving position and the rear wheels cutting in on a left turn (brushed the kerb twice), I enjoyed the experience. Nice modern automatic lorry. Pleasure to drive etc.

All good so far, but when I went into the office after the assessment to book the four day course and test, I was told there was nothing until next year and it could be Easter before my turn in the queue. That’s almost a year away! Now feeling a bit deflated and can’t plan anything because don’t know when it will be and whether I can get time of work etc. It also grates because every time I listen to the news I am told there is a chronic shortage of LGV drivers.

Anybody got any ideas or solutions? Is everybody waiting months for a test? Would welcome any advice/info. Thank you.

Phone the forum sponsor Peter Smythe and see what their wait times are :bulb: :smiley:

70+ miles away = free accommodation residential courses

The situation for driving tests is much worse than most folks realise. Most schools will book their tests 10 or 12 weeks ahead - and pay for them at the time. Then they sell the courses with the test and everything is great. Except that DSVA are currently unable to supply the normal number of tests. And then tests are being cancelled with a few days’ notice as they cannot supply an examiner.

To be clear, this is not the fault of DVSA. The “ping” demic has had a huge effect on their staffing capacity and, by it’s nature, is unpredictable.

There are moves, currently under consultation, to instigate changes which will improve the supply of tests. And, as and when changes happen, it will be a huge help.

In the meantime, each trainer has to try and manage the ever changing situation as best as they can. Speaking for PSTT, the staff there are becoming experts at keeping up with the situation as well as anyone can. It is incredibly difficult at the moment and, of course, very frustrating for all concerned.

All we need now is heavy snow and some industrial action!!

Take care all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Simply put there aren’t enough trainers, examiners or test centres to cope with the demand and backlog caused by basically a year where tests were not able to be carried out. Look around at as many training centres as you can, let them know you can be available for cancellations if necessary if you really want to do the training, and then see how you get on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I know of a school who has an allocation of ONE test for October. This is dire.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: