Canada...illusions and info

any ive come across ,you just tell them especially if running south,they need you more than you need them! meat on the seat an all that.

US DOT rules state if you have a passenger you must have authorization from your company and insurance company. It’s 3 CSA points on your record for having an unauthorized passenger.

Hi guys, can somebody give me and advice on a couple things I’m wondering? I’m in the process of application for one company in Winnipeg, got into shortlist of candidates and waiting for a skype interview now. The company is offering between 4k-5,5k average so let’s count 4,750 Cad a month, 53k Cad a year. Could someone tel me how much can I expect to bring home after taxes, insurance etc? I’m browsing the rents around the Winnipeg and not sure what budget to set up. Also anyone can advise on decent neighbourhoods for a family? With schools nearby. I’m not naive to expect a luxury living but as I’ll be away for a long periods, I want to know my wife and kids are staying in the safe area and not in the kind of cheapest or social housing if you understand what I mean, not sure how to say it polite and not being rude. Simply what highest I can expect that will be still affordable with only my income.
Thanks a lot for any help.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it containing your 4%holiday pay? … imo take a third of for deductions…think around $1000 a year insurance on a vehicle (you can pay monthly). NOw as you are “being away for long time” is it important to be in/close to the city as rents/taxes are higher?. would your family consider moving an hr or so away from the city where you get a bigger bang for your bucks. yup until you get nomination by MBPNP your wife cant work. . we got a place 1.5hrs out of the city ,very cheap…good schools safe and friendly, and after a weeks driving what is a hr an a halfs drive home its. nothing. don’t fall in the trap o buying big gas gussler…we bought a wee Toyota with winter tires never a problem.or an ex police crown vic couple o K for a well maintained vehicle.hundreds to chose from as they went to different model.(rear wheel drive though). lots o wee towns south o the peg with cheap taxes and good schools. if you are away for ages …let the missus take you to work and she can use the car when your away ,you would be surprised at the number o folks that would rather buy two cars than do that. james

A simple method of calculating take home wages is to multiply the mileage rate by 8,000miles, that is roughly what you’ll get after the tax man takes his cut, you’ll be doing around 12,000miles a month on long haul, any less and you’ll have spent a lot of time hanging around and unfortunately that’s most often in a truckstop, rather than at home.

As for living costs, that depends on what you’re used to, you can live out in the boonies for very little, but if you’re not a country boy at heart, I wouldn’t recommend it, you’re miles away from shops to get even the basics and in winter that can be a lot more than an inconvenience, especially for the wife who will be the one going to the shops while you’re away, the kids will also be virtual prisoners at home, although most kids nowadays seem to prefer to be in their room on a computer game than actually going out, but still, it’s a very different way of life.

In Winnipeg there are lots of, shall we say multicultural areas, probably best avoided. There’s also the north end and that’s a proper hole, full of drugs and crime. It’s quite an expensive city to live in, there are quite a few towns within a half hour drive or less that can be a good compromise though, La Broquerie, Niverville, Stonewall and Steinbach for example.

Jimmy is bang on with the car, get an ex cop car, plenty of room, bulletproof running gear and a lot of fun in the snow if you are that way inclined, they also have the benefit of making lane hoggers move over as you catch them up lol

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply. I’m not really a country boy and wife isn’t at all so I’m trying to find out what could be affordable on the compromise of not driving 1 hr to a supermarket and living in the city. I thought about something nearby with 30 min drive max even for the cost of having a smaller house or a flat in a nice area but not living in a proper rural area with bears on the back garden. I don’t mean it seriously.

I wouldn’t like to leave the family and kids somewhere away from everything. I meant a bit more expensive living within the city or not too far, where they can still have a bit of a social and cultural life. Some places where to go. Just wanted to get a picture of how expensive it may be within the budget.

try kijiji Manitoba and look at rentals ,have a map and see whats in your price range /area. :smiley:

That’s what I’m doing for the whole afternoon. But not sure what is good for the area you know? It can be a very nice rent but in the horrible neighbourhood like mercman mentioned with drugs and crime and then something not as nice but a lot better thanks to a better part of the city.

Found some good reviews but reality can be different. Charlestown, River heights? Doesn’t say to much for me so asking for a reviews from you guys [emoji6]. Compromise of the price and the proper rural life.

Charleswood sorry

As NMM says, North Winnipeg has a bad reputation. Anything West of Gateway and North of Portage Ave is to be avoided. There is also a French speaking sector around St. Boniface where schools teach lessons in French. I live in the area called East Kildonan. There is plenty of development going on, over towards Transcona, with new apartment blocks renting out three-bedders. Maybe that would suit you. Good retail area close by on Lagimodiere and Regent.

I dated a lady who lived in the River Heights area. Charming old houses but most in poor repair with little or no insulation that cost a fortune to heat in the Winter.