just saying hello

Hi everyone, been browsing this site for a couple of weeks now and it’s a great site, i just wanted to ask for a bit of advice. I worked out of the buncefield oil terminal that went boom, now the company want redundencys and having talked it over with the missus we fancy coming out to canada. me and the wife are going to winnipeg in may to have a look around and for me to take the written part of the driving test , get the medical out the way and talk to a few firms about a job, has anyone got any advice about firms and also about areas to rent a house for the family, schools, neighbourhoods ect, any info really! many thanks to you all.

Hello and welcome to TNUK!!

Try searching through the forums and you will find some threads relating to Canada. Thisis a good place to start!! :wink: :wink:

Can’t add any better advice than that CC but you are most welcome to TruckNet where you will get all your questions answered, one way or the other.

Salut, David.

thanks, read the link, most interesting, wife wants to know what the schools are like and does anyone live in the river heights area of manitoba and what they think of it. also how easy is it to rent if you have the family dog as well as the 3 kids in tow. judging by the topic info i’ll give yanke a miss, i’ve sent my c.v to kindersley, i’m coming out in may under my own steam to do the driving test so hopefully i might be able to sort out some interviews with some smaller firms then, oh! wife wants to know if its worth bringing out the kitchen electricals like the food mixer , blender , if and when (don’t want to tempt fate) we get out there, she rather attached to her kitchaid :unamused:

Have you ever taken your dog on a flight?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: It’s well expensive - at least twice as much as your ticket!!

White goods (electricals); isn’t it all different voltages over there??

TBH, i’ve known a few people emigrate (both ‘across’ and ‘downunder’) and they’ve only taken a few cases with them - everything else has been sold etc. ‘New life = new life’ and all that!!

kids will create havoc if i try and leave the dog at home, wife accepts she’ll lose her kitchen gadgets, but is kicking up a stink over leaving her new sofa :unamused: if canada is on a different voltage, i take it that it’s not worth taking the tellys or laptop? what about sentimental things like photo albums ect ? i just can’t see the wife doing the move with a couple of cases, hell, she doesn’t even do a weeks hoilday with a couple of cases :open_mouth:

Good luck with your planned move.

Can’t help with your electrical goods,we went Down Under istead of West(too cold for me in Canada).My advice would be to get a container, when we did our move we sold up and did the suitcase thing.The amount of stuff we sold for peanuts or gave away coz we couldn’t sell does my head in.

Your dog will cost muchos cash,but it was my biggest regret that I didn’t take mine with me.A ruff guess is that you better budget for 2k ,for vet fees and shipping.

hi there

my friend is coming to live in our city in alberta he worked out of buncefield too so you probably know him

no you cant bring anything electrical - your dog will be between 600 and 1000 quid but of course u cant leave them!

please do read the posts on canada and make sure your doing the right thing :wink:

good luck

who did he work for? i’m with total. i might know him.

Have a look at www.truckscan.ca and ask questions on the Canadian ambitions forum,there was alot of info there but since they “upgraded” the website most of the posts have disappeared :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush:
Also have a look on the “long haul” forum and read “Steve the bulkers tales” as this was his blog from when he went over to work for Kindersley in Aug 04 but things have gone abit sour and quiet from Dec 2005 :cry: .
Above all remember that your wife cannot work for the first year on the PNP scheme and the vast majority of trucking in Canada does involve long haul which means being away for around 12 to even as much as 30 days at a time before getting home for a couple of days rest :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

have looked at this site, its great for info, but i’ll be dammed if i can actually register with the bloody thing, it just won’t let me , keeps saying one of the fields isn’t filled in correctly, although i’ve double checked all the fields so many times that i’ve now given up. anyway i say go and read that thead, thanks

big truck if u choose the option show all you can see all the previous posts on there…

it will be about 6 to 9 months before your wife can work as soon as you have your pnp certificate she can apply for a work permit but then it takes a while to settle in with your house and the area so its good not to work for a while anyway :smiley:

i cant remember who he said he worked for :confused:

There’s little point in taking your TV over with you, to Canada. I think they work on the same system as the US of A, which is a different system to the UK. Your laptop should be OK though. Lappies, and their like, are usualy designed to run off a fair range of voltages. UK as you will know is 240v 50Hz mains supply. Canada is (I think) 220v 60Hz mains supply .

As for taking your other electrical things with you, it would probably be cheaper to buy new things than it would to pay to move your things over there.

so sell all electrical, doesn’t leave a lot after that when you think about it!

creamcrackered:
so sell all electrical, doesn’t leave a lot after that when you think about it!

So I guess we’ve come full circle back to ‘just the cases’, eh?? :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: the wife is still clinging to her sofa though :wink:

the furniture and electrical stuff here is quite cheap compared to the uk

when u come in may u should take a look round the furniture shops - we brought furniture that was sentimental and lots of photos and pictures… one thing i do regret is not bringing over my kitchen stuff - things u cant get here or arent as good… look in www.thebrick.com for furniture and the prices they do good deals where they throw in a huge screen tv with sofas

for us 300 cubic feet was 1600 quid door to door and they wrap and unwrap for you.
its going to take about 6 to 12 weeks to get here tho so u need to be buying beds sofas wtc straight away - but will come in handy to bring your own sofa as u will probably have two living rooms anyway
:smiley:

thanks for that link , debs is in her element browsing, it’ll keep her happy all day :laughing:

Hi creamcrackered
we’re off to canada in the summer,we went out in feb(very cold,but colder when we got back to england)going through the MPNP(manitoba provincial nominee program)we where going to sell all our stuff, but after talking to people out there we’re taking them with us,familiar things around you,cheaper to take things than get all when we get there,we are taking our tv&computer cos you can get a convertor.we’re taking the dog,2 cats and a scorpion going through animalairlines costing a bit but better than leaving them behind we’d be heartbroken.
I wish you and your family all the best hope you get something.
Rocket :smiley:

hi rocket, we are going to manitoba as well, pauls been offered a job with kindersley to start on the 21st aug if we can sell the house in time, went out on the 18th of may for a week and it was really hot, glad we went though as we’ve decided we don’t want to live in winnipeg it’s self but outside of the perimeter road. let us know how you get on, who r u going to b working 4?