C1 question

Peter Smythe:
The fact is that most 12 tonners (which is almost certainly what you used) look like 7.5 tonners. I should know - - I’ve got a yard full of them!!!

Which could lean into the debate of whether Newbies should have to pass their test in an 18t, so they’re a bit more used to the size of what they’ll get thrown the keys of that first time out alone.

But I won’t go there…

Opps! :laughing:

P.S. If I ran a driving school, I’d also be using the smallest I could though, as why wouldn’t you? So no dig at you Pete! :smiley:

You started the debate EB, and I’m bored, so I’ll say my bit! We use 12 tonne puddle jumpers because many trainees come straight to CAT C having driven nothing more than a Fiesta! So, although to an experienced truck driver the trucks are relatively small, trust me - they are quite big enough for many folks to cut their teeth on.

But I adopt the opposite attitude with artics, having a collection of big cab units where you collect oxygen half way up coupled to full size trailers. At this point, the candidate has driven a minimum of a 12 tonner so the difference is not quite as daunting.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I appreciate this has probley been asked loads of times I’m currently training to get my c1 which I’ll be then training for my c1+e

Now the company I work for have paid for it all but they very disorganised just trown money everywhere without actully looking into it i was under the impression that I was doing my c1 which is 7.5 ton Max however I had my first lesson the other day in a truck identical to this billythomashgvdrivertraining.co. … ence-hgv2/

Just a thought; I suggest you check your provisional entitlement to ensure you have CAT C provisional rather than just C1. Otherwise it’s going to be an awkward moment at the test centre!!

Peter Smythe:
You started the debate EB, and I’m bored, so I’ll say my bit! We use 12 tonne puddle jumpers because many trainees come straight to CAT C having driven nothing more than a Fiesta! So, although to an experienced truck driver the trucks are relatively small, trust me - they are quite big enough for many folks to cut their teeth on.

But I adopt the opposite attitude with artics, having a collection of big cab units where you collect oxygen half way up coupled to full size trailers. At this point, the candidate has driven a minimum of a 12 tonner so the difference is not quite as daunting.

Sounds reasonable to me! :smiley:

Peter Smythe:

I appreciate this has probley been asked loads of times I’m currently training to get my c1 which I’ll be then training for my c1+e

Now the company I work for have paid for it all but they very disorganised just trown money everywhere without actully looking into it i was under the impression that I was doing my c1 which is 7.5 ton Max however I had my first lesson the other day in a truck identical to this billythomashgvdrivertraining.co. … ence-hgv2/

Just a thought; I suggest you check your provisional entitlement to ensure you have CAT C provisional rather than just C1. Otherwise it’s going to be an awkward moment at the test centre!!

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Trust me ! I’m lucky really as the company I work for had paid for everyone to do there medical and told everyone what to apply for I sadly had already paid for a medical prior to starting with this company as I had planned to do my c1 one at some point and was told when filling in the d2 form you most of well apply for all of your provisionals if I had let the company do it they would have only applied for my c1 that would have been awkward

I guess 2 things could have happened someone has there wires crossed and I’m doing my C and the company thinks i’m doing my c1 or the trainers have messed up and putting me trough my C instead of c1

Who knows ay

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Back in 2005 I used to work for a LGV training company that used 12 tonners and the examiners at Weedon you to say to those that passed - you passed in a large van now go and get some training on the real thing ! = seriously

Back in 2005 I used to work for a LGV training company that used 12 tonners and the examiners at Weedon you to say to those that passed - you passed in a large van now go and get some training on the real thing ! = seriously

Totally out of order as far as I’m concerned. It’s none of their business. Their bosses decide what vehicles qualify. They need to ■■■■ it up and get over it. Simple.

Hi all the mystery Has been solved !! I was in the wrong vehicle [emoji23] I asked the question at the depot i was training at and they said it was correct but I kept asking as was worried about about it since my test is thursday and yep they rang the office and they had put me in a class 2 instead of a good old transit van … also my test had been booked for a c1 so good I checked otherwise awkeness on Thursday turning up in the test centre in a class 2 so I had spent 2 days of a 3 day course in a class 2…

Cheers for all ur help guys

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Glad it’s sorted. Out of interest, it wouldn’t have mattered at the test centre. Easily changed.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do people find it that much different going from a 12 tonner to an 18 tonner or even an 18 to a 26 tonner etc?

on your car licence you can drive large van’s which are a jump from a little fiesta or whatever so surely its not much different i remember people saying when i passed my car test you can learn to drive now which i reckon is the same with lorries you can pass on one type and then be on something completely different.

In the case of the OP they’re learning in a van but can then go on to drive things a fair bit bigger even on a 7.5tonne ticket!
Personally i don’t think there’s THAT much difference from a 12/15 tonne to an 18 tonner.

Also out of pure interest could you in theory take your class 2 in an 8 wheeler or bigger even?

I’ve actually found a 26t is easier to drive than an 18t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cant see any problem going from 12 to 18 tonnes. The body may be longer so a bit more room needed on turns. Seating position will be higher with an extra step to climb to get in the cab. The progression to 26 and 32 tonnes is greater as the steering can be different and gearboxes can get more interesting if not auto.

Don’t understand the question about theory as there is no vehicle involved. The “C” theory test is the same for any category and is not needed for CE.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t know if anyone would know the answer to this, but out of curiosity, if you was booked in for a cat C1 test and turned up at the test centre in a cat C vehicle would they continue with the test, and if so what category would you get on your licence if you passed ?

Sorry I meant could you do your class 2 driving practical in an 8 wheeler? probably not an ideal vehicle but could you actually do your lessons and test in one?

removed

RB84:
Sorry I meant could you do your class 2 driving practical in an 8 wheeler? probably not an ideal vehicle but could you actually do your lessons and test in one?

You can take your test in any vehicle your company owns as far as I am aware, just make sure it is loaded with some IBC’s full of water as one of our drivers found out, they refused to do the test as the vehicle was empty.

So we had to find some IBC’s and fill them with water for him to do a retest.

In fact that’s another question I just thought about now.

Could you take the test in a Unit alone for C as it is still a rigid without a box?

I assume the answer would be no. But technically it is still a rigid and I assume there are minimum regulations on the type of vehicle you can learn and take a test in.

simcor:
In fact that’s another question I just thought about now.

Could you take the test in a Unit alone for C as it is still a rigid without a box?

I assume the answer would be no. But technically it is still a rigid and I assume there are minimum regulations on the type of vehicle you can learn and take a test in.

It must be minimum 12 tonnes and be 8 meters long, otherwise nope cannot be used.

gov.uk/guidance/rules-for-l … ving-tests

RB84:

The vehicle must have a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab which tippers don’t normally.

if you was booked in for a cat C1 test and turned up at the test centre in a cat C vehicle would they continue with the test, and if so what category would you get on your licence if you passed ?

The examiner would make a call to confirm licence entitlement. The test, if passed, would give a normal CAT C licence.

Yes, provided it has a “closed box”.

Cant use a unit alone. There are minimum test vehicles and a tractor unit is specifically excluded.

Thanks for the replies Slapstick and Simcor, so you probably could take it in an 8 wheeler with a box body or curtainside I guess?

This is probably the same kind of thing as the auto v manual debate, as a skip lorry is a different beast to a long beavertail but you could end up in either. So that’s when the real world learning would happen!