License BOGOFF Passed 7.5 C1 got Class C for free!

New boy at work has passed his 7.5 tonne C1 test and now his cpc and has just received his licence back and it has class C on it! So out with him at the moment in 18 tonne (no L plates) on the M40 letting him do just the motorway driving. Is it legal? Was it an error on his licence?

Have not got a clue what C C1 and all the rest of it is.
Class 1 2 and 3 is much easier, although maybe old fashioned.
A mate of mine sent his Class 3 in for renewal many years ago and got a Class 1 artic licence returned to him.
He was very select who he told and kept his gob shut to everybody else.
He retired about 2 yrs ago after driving artics for 25 years.
Maybe your mate should have done the same and kept schtum with his head down instead of drawing attention to it.
No doubt the self righteous never do anything wrong types will disagree. :unamused:

Sounds like someone’s finger slipped whilst entering his particulars (oh come on even why I try and write a clean sentence it doesn’t work).

He should keep tight lipped about this though, just crack on and act daft or call the Dvla to inform them of their error. The choice is his.

Not easy I know you would think class 1 would be C1 but no thats C+E, as C1 is 7.5 tonne and class 2 would make sense being called C2 but it’s C!

darren118:
Not easy I know you would think class 1 would be C1 but no thats C+E, as C1 is 7.5 tonne and class 2 would make sense being called C2 but it’s C!

Ah well,… that clears it up then. :laughing:

The first question is he reading his licence correctly, does it list C and C1 on the front of the card and have dates for both on the back?
And what vehicle did he do his test in? Are sure it wasn’t a 12 tonner which could be the same size as some 7.5 tonners?

In fact why would he even do a C1 test if his intention was to drive rigid trucks?

I’ve seen his licence it’s says he passed C1 and C on the same day! And just asked him and he was definitely in a 7.5 tonne!

Glen A9:
The first question is he reading his licence correctly, does it list C and C1 on the front of the card and have dates for both on the back?
And what vehicle did he do his test in? Are sure it wasn’t a 12 tonner which could be the same size as some 7.5 tonners?

In fact why would he even do a C1 test if his intention was to drive rigid trucks?

Yep I passed mine in a 10t flatbed Icrapo and it was no bigger than the road works 7.5t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darren118:
I’ve seen his licence it’s says he passed C1 and C on the same day! And just asked him and he was definitely in a 7.5 tonne!

But why would he go and do C1 training when the test is exactly the same as the cat C which he could have gone straight to? Most places do C1 training in large vans like 5 tonne Ivecos Dailys.

I think he was driving around a small cat C vehicle for a week and thought it must be 7.5 tonne because it was smaller than the 18 tonners in your yard.

Sorry all I think the idiot didn’t know what he was driving, it looked like a 7.5 tonne he just told me but might have been 10 or 12! He has a photo of the truck on his phone, I’ll have a look when we swap driving…

Sorry just saw the photo judging by the size of the wheels it’s was a 18 tonne Daf or Renault. Wallace training truck.

Jesus. Are you sure you want to be sat in the passenger seat of a truck where the driver doesn’t even know WTF he was driving or what course or test he was taking?

Conor:
Jesus. Are you sure you want to be sat in the passenger seat of a truck where the driver doesn’t even know WTF he was driving or what course or test he was taking?

Not only that, but numpty is now good to go and take ‘control’ of an 32 tonne 8 wheeler :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

Conor:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: classic.

These people move amongst us…

I know what an idiot! And to confuse things more the photo of the truck he passed in didn’t have orange and yellow rear markers, I thought everything over 7.5 tonnes had to have them, but have seen plenty today without ? Also he passed in a automatic and the Scania split shift manual gearbox is causing him problems…

darren118:
I know what an idiot! And to confuse things more the photo of the truck he passed in didn’t have orange and yellow rear markers, I thought everything over 7.5 tonnes had to have them, but have seen plenty today without ? Also he passed in a automatic and the Scania split shift manual gearbox is causing him problems…

Our jobs are secure. :grimacing:

darren118:

New trucks are now getting "high conspicuous " markings.

robroy:
A mate of mine sent his Class 3 in for renewal many years ago and got a Class 1 artic licence returned to him.
Maybe your mate should have done the same and kept schtum with his head down instead of drawing attention to it.
No doubt the self righteous never do anything wrong types will disagree. :unamused:

I think you might find that when he got his licence back it would have had a 102 restriction on it which is a drawbar it was because they done away with a class 3 so your licence was upgraded to a class 2 and thus you had grandfather rights on a drawbar ( 102 Restriction)or as it appeared on your licence c+e 102 restriction

robroy:

A friend of mine had exactly the same, as the old class 3 entitled you to also drive drawbars, which is now C+E, new licence issued with C+E category.
But he failed to spot the restriction number next to it which limited him to drawbars only.