Class C1 or C?

Probably a bit of a no brainer this one but I thought I would ask anyway, As my test is coming up in April I am looking into doing either my 7.5t license straight after or my Class C license. I’m not looking into jumping straight into an artic once I’ve passed my test but I am looking into trying my hand at getting a job driving rigids of all sizes for a couple years before I go for my C&E license. I’m just wondering if it would be wise going for C1 or C? I was thinking C1 because it would be cheaper short term, but long term I’d have to pay for more theory tests & training for Class C vehicles.

Just seems like it would be worth doing considering there’s quite a few jobs going at local companies, some of whom I know take on new blood so to speak. Probably answered my own question but I thought I would get the advice from hgv trainers etc. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

You know that as a young newly qualified driver things are going to be tough for you. But if you went for CAT C then you might get a job driving a Transit and eventually work your way up. This is because you are compensating, in part, for lack of experience and your age by having a serious driving licence.

If you went for C1 and passed you wouldn’t ever need to do more theory tests to upgrade.

C1 is a lot cheaper than C and easier to achieve.

Honestly, you may as well toss a coin because there is no straight yes/no answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Personally, if its the line of work you know you want to go in to then jump in to C class. You’ve got more scope for employment … Having said that, that’s only reflective in the area I live in (Suffolk). But ultimately, it’s your call as to what you can afford etc.

I’m assuming the theory test is the same for C1 as it is C? And the C1 test is similar to the Class C except with a smaller vehicle. But I’m thinking saving for a couple more months to do the Class C is probably more worth it i’d assuming? Considering I want to drive lorries for a living it would me more expense than should be spent? It just had me thinking to be honest as I saw a vacancy for a 7.5t tramper and was one of those things I’d be keen to try my hat at but assuming having a Class C license would make me more of a ‘catch’ should said company have the need to get any bigger vehicles or if a driver of a lorry bigger was ill or such? Just trying to get peace of mind as such!

Cheers

I was debating between C and CE, in the end I decided that I might as well get the CE straight off. I might not get artic work immediately, but if I don’t have a CE then I definitely won’t - same principle probably applies to your choice.

If you have done a C1 test do you still have to do the C test or can you go straight to the CE? I don’t know the answer as I’m old enough to have C1 on my licence anyway. If not then going C1 - C - CE would be three tests, which would be more expensive in the long run.

DynoDad:
I was debating between C and CE, in the end I decided that I might as well get the CE straight off. I might not get artic work immediately, but if I don’t have a CE then I definitely won’t - same principle probably applies to your choice.

If you have done a C1 test do you still have to do the C test or can you go straight to the CE? I don’t know the answer as I’m old enough to have C1 on my licence anyway. If not then going C1 - C - CE would be three tests, which would be more expensive in the long run.

If you do C1 you need to do C too.

If I was you I would personally go for C Jonny, you know it will be hard but it will come.

I’d go straight to C, there’s no point delaying the inevitable.

There is only one set of theory tests to do for you to drive LGVs commercially

Once theory has been passed it will not need doing again unless you let it lapse more than 2 years before passing practical C1 or C

Didn’t you win one of the 3 on the flair xmas offer? If so, it seems silly to me not to go straight to C.

I’m not sure how it works regarding your age and when you passed your driving test johnny but I think you’ll find you have to have c1 first anyhow. I had to have a medical and theory at 18 and done my 7.5 ton test then my c class at 21 then c+e, so you may to obtain a 7.5 liscence first any how. Back in the day you could go from a car liscence straight to atrtic but I’m sure now you have to do it in 3 stages if not then just go straight for c class with the size off some off the 7.5 boxes now there’s not much I’m it width wise or size so I’d save my money and get the c class for all rigids. Good luck when you come to do whatever tho.

DJC:
Didn’t you win one of the 3 on the flair xmas offer? If so, it seems silly to me not to go straight to C.

Unfortunately not, pretty glad I didn’t to be honest as I failed my test first time round in January so I would be leaving flair waiting another few months until the results of my second test (9th April…Waiting times take the ■■■■! Gutting as well when it was 2 serious marks and 2 minors, 2 serious marks being on something daft!) So i’ll be funding it myself :slight_smile: I was questioning it due to the amount of work for 7.5t drivers where I live whether it would make sense to go for my 7.5t license first but as some have said to me I’d be more flexible with the vehicles I can drive if I had my Class C. But with 7.5t being a little cheaper I thought I would ask the question but it does seem silly doing 1 extra test considering I want to drive for a living!

Cheers

Go straight to C. It gives you c1 and if you decide to do c+e later you’ll have to do cat c first. Ultimately you’re adding more cost and an additional test doing it from C1.

As merchantofdoom says, go straight for C. It may be a bit more trickier and expensive than doing C1, but its worth it, and from what I’ve read from you, it would be what you ultimately want to do.

Thanks for that :slight_smile: Yeah I suppose it’s a no brainer really. Had my first lesson today since I failed my first driving test last month, although I was a bit nervous to start everything just seemed to click into place although there was something if on a test I would have failed on my instructor told me it was an experience thing as something that will come in time. So I can only hope I learn pretty bloody fast :laughing: But the waits for a retest are a ■■■■ take! My first test if i remember was on the 30th of January or something to that affect and I’m having to wait until the 9th of April for the retest :imp: Taking the ■■■■ to a whole new level, all I can say is I can get a bit more practise in for my test. Although my instructor informed me that doing 2 hour lessons instead of 1 hour lessons wouldn’t really be cost effective and that 1 hour a week should be enough to just keep ‘touching up’ on my weak areas. But it’s nice to be told I’m not really needing 2 hour lessons any more as my driving standards are more or less test standard so it’s put me in good spirits! Determined to have my second test just 2 minors instead of the 2 minors and 2 serious marks :smiling_imp: Bring on april! :laughing:

Cheers

jonnytruckfest:
But it’s nice to be told I’m not really needing 2 hour lessons any more as my driving standards are more or less test standard…

Of course they are, he wouldn’t have let you take your first test if they weren’t. :wink:

My instructor had me do a mock test before my actual test, if that wasn’t enough to make me ■■■■ myself for what was to come then I don’t know what is! ( I failed that too but a much worse mark than my actual test) determined to do at least 1 more mock test and pass it. Put me in a ‘good spirit’ for the real thing. It’s just a case of not making stupid mistakes. :slight_smile:

Cheers

I wasn’t aware you had to do/could do a test for 7.5t, I thought if you were old(er) then you had grandfather rights but if younger like us lot then once you did ‘C’ it was free, always appeared to be a sort of ‘freebie’ on the way up the LGV ranks, I personally would go for the bigger of the licence classes, I have a motto that goes ‘Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it’, is actually a term from my old gun club but can be applied to anything in general.