Need C1, but should I go for C?

Evening folks

Got a mountain of daft questions, much appreciated if anyone can help with any of them.

I work for myself doing all sorts of odd bits and pieces that form a living. For my own stuff, I’m getting to the stage where I could do with a heavy (over 3.5tonne) van. Another business I’m involved with is looking at buying a cherry picker/MEWP, we haven’t decided whether we’re going van mount or tow-along, but most of the van mounts in the size we been seem to be on 5tonne vans.

The catch for me is, I took my car test in 2000, so I’m only licenced for 3.5T. So I need to do my C1, and presumably for my van, a CPC? Hope I don’t need an operators as well, being self-employed? The other thread about work platforms says there’s no need for CPC if just driving these as they’re plant?

Is there much difference between doing my test on C and C1? Vehicle size doesn’t bother me, I’ve driven 7.5T trucks before when I was younger and stupider (off road honest officer), when I got my teeth out of the steering wheel and figured air brakes out, I didn’t think it was so bad.

The other thought for me is if I’ve got C and all the other relevant bits of paper, I could use that for a job when things are quiet. But is there really the work in that round my way (Spalding, everything that works out of here seems to be an artic dropping illegal immigrants off and picking veg up).

Also, driver’s medicals, I’m a bit nuts (diagnosed, medicating and stable… not normal though, bugger being like that). Is that a problem (PM me if you’d rather not discuss your own probs on an open page)?

Thanks for anything you can offer, even if it’s just abuse :wink:

I’d definitely take my class 2 rather that arsing about with 7.5s

However, I did have the time of my life caning the blazes out of 7.5s for a few years.

I’d do Class C to give yourself more options…

Being a bit nuts is probably mandatory for truck driving, it helps me get through the days! :smiley:
It shouldn’t be a problem as long as “the doctor” doesn’t think you are a suicide risk, or have bouts of delusion where post boxes are chasing you down the street! :laughing: Basically, as long as you are are not deemed to be be wanting to crash the truck on purpose, or flipping out for one reason or another, it shouldn’t be a problem… And I say “the doctor” as crazily, it doesn’t have to be your own GP that knows your history that signs off the medical. And you think you’re the crazy one! :open_mouth:
(Cost for a medical is about £50 if you check the internet - Your own GP will probably want at least twice that…)

If you are driving C1 or C for reward, you will need a DCPC either way, so it makes no difference there…

You mention towing as well. While I’m not sure about this, don’t you also need to sit a test to do that now?
If you pass your class C, you can then choose to take your C+E, and that would obviously giving you towing as well.
Along with a licence to drive any truck you like…

I’d definitely choose Class C mate, it opens more door! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
You mention towing as well. While I’m not sure about this, don’t you also need to sit a test to do that now?
If you pass your class C, you can then choose to take your C+E, and that would obviously giving you towing as well.

You don’t need C+E for towing light stuff, assuming the cherry picker & it’s trailer is small & lightweight (750kg MGW for the trailer), you can tow it on a B/C1/C license: gov.uk/towing-rules/y/large … 21-or-over

If it’s a heavier trailer/MEWP/combo, you’ll need C1+E/C+E. Depending what you’re going to be using the truck/van for, how much space you actually need, and assuming the cherry picker has wheels… you could get a 7.5t box van (or larger if you do cat C) with a large tail-lift and carry the MEWP in the van, which would save you having to get an artic license.

RE: O license, my understanding (could be wrong) is that you need it for all vehicles over 3.5t, if carrying own goods only, you’ll only need a restricted license. Don’t know if you’d also need Operators CPC, but think it’s only required for standard O licenses. More info here: gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … r/overview

HTH.

How much will the cherry picker weigh ?

What is the GVW of the vehicle you will be towing it with ?

If the plated weights work out then it is possible to tow on a B licence

If staying with a 3500 gvw van then towing the picker will only need B+E and does not need DCPD but will need tacho as the total plated weight comes over 3500

For B+E all you need to do is to pass the practical road test/reverse/un-couple

n00b:
Evening folks

Got a mountain of daft questions, much appreciated if anyone can help with any of them.

I work for myself doing all sorts of odd bits and pieces that form a living. For my own stuff, I’m getting to the stage where I could do with a heavy (over 3.5tonne) van. Another business I’m involved with is looking at buying a cherry picker/MEWP, we haven’t decided whether we’re going van mount or tow-along, but most of the van mounts in the size we been seem to be on 5tonne vans.

The catch for me is, I took my car test in 2000, so I’m only licenced for 3.5T. So I need to do my C1, and presumably for my van, a CPC? Hope I don’t need an operators as well, being self-employed? The other thread about work platforms says there’s no need for CPC if just driving these as they’re plant?

Is there much difference between doing my test on C and C1? Vehicle size doesn’t bother me, I’ve driven 7.5T trucks before when I was younger and stupider (off road honest officer), when I got my teeth out of the steering wheel and figured air brakes out, I didn’t think it was so bad.

The other thought for me is if I’ve got C and all the other relevant bits of paper, I could use that for a job when things are quiet. But is there really the work in that round my way (Spalding, everything that works out of here seems to be an artic dropping illegal immigrants off and picking veg up).

Also, driver’s medicals, I’m a bit nuts (diagnosed, medicating and stable… not normal though, bugger being like that). Is that a problem (PM me if you’d rather not discuss your own probs on an open page)?

Thanks for anything you can offer, even if it’s just abuse :wink:

Mewp’s fall under Ipaf category 2 I believe, you would deffinetly need a ipaf ticket

Thanks so far folks, keep it coming.

I’m not too bothered about the towing bit, if we get a towalong picker, and it’s over 750kg, it’ll be light enough to be legal behind the car/small van that’s in the business already (little known fact that under 3.5 train weight doesn’t need B+E).

Right, got to go, there’s a letterbox looking at me funny!

n00b:

I’m not too bothered about the towing bit, if we get a towalong picker, and it’s over 750kg, it’ll be light enough to be legal behind the car/small van that’s in the business already (little known fact that under 3.5 train weight doesn’t need B+E).

Under 3.5 total PLATED MAM weight not total TRAIN weight

n00b:

You can get some decent little nifty towable booms, don’t weigh much at all just depends on how high you need :wink:

What’s the cost difference between a C1 and C where you live? If there’s nothing in it go for the C

Dave