Buses, coaches, & lorries

Don Everall Commer thanks to Arriva436.
Oily

GPO Commer thanks to Alan.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Great pictures of Commer coaches Eddie. Was the GPO Commer a Postbus, the likes of which were
seen in rural areas, which carried letters and parcels and passengers. The only Postbuses that I ever
saw were 8 or 12 seaters with a bit of parcel space at the back. Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

oiltreader:
Oily

Great pictures of Commer coaches Eddie. Was the GPO Commer a Postbus, the likes of which were
seen in rural areas, which carried letters and parcels and passengers. The only Postbuses that I ever

It was a mobile telegraph office Ray.
Bernard

oiltreader:
Oily

Don Everall was a local company to me, ended up being a large Ford dealer, everything from cars to HGV’s. Sadly all gone now.

albion1938:

Ray Smyth:

oiltreader:
Oily

It was a mobile telegraph office Ray.
Bernard

Thanks Bernard for the info, I think that it is a smart looking machine, Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

oiltreader:
Oily

Post bus that take me back to late 70’s going from a Village called Ockley in surrey to Dorking via Cold harbour village on Leith hill with my Mum I would have been any age up to 5 years old born in 75
,They were first Comma cob vans then changed to Sherpa’s
The best bit was you could amble through sorting office loading bay to get to waiting room :open_mouth:
different times and no elf n saftey

OilTreader:
Oily

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Buses,Motorcoaches & Lorries ,51 . Commer Motor Vehicles .
Thursday,9th April,2020 . VALKYRIE

Commer Avenger MkIV Series 94,Two Stroke Diesel-Engined,Duple Corinthian,Butterfly Grille,C41F,Motorcoach,CN 94A0160,BN 1091,34,VJW 882,Wolverhampton,2-1958,Don Everall.TNUK,OTL-B,M & L,51.4-2020.Arriva436.3#

.Commer Avenger MkIV Series 94,Two Stroke Diesel-Engined,Duple  Corinthian,Butterfly Grille,C41F,Motorcoach,CN 94A0160,BN 1091,34,VJW 882,Wolverhampton,2-1958,Don Everall.TNUK,OTL-B,M & L,51.4-2020.Arriva436.3#.jpg

Commer Avenger MkIII Series 84,Harrington,Telecommunications Vehicle,CN T84A0032,BN 1827,SLO 24,London,5-1956,GPO,No.54325,London EC1.TNUK,OTL-B,M & L,51.4-2020.BedfordAI Collection.3#

QUOTE:Pete Smith » Thursday,9th April, 2020 10:26 am

OilTreader wrote:
Oily

Don Everall was a local company to me, ended up being a large Ford dealer, everything from cars to HGV’s. Sadly all gone now.UNQUOTE.

Don Everall was founded in 1923,and took over several local,and not so local,motorcoach and bus
operators over the years and were also bus and motorcoach dealers.And,as Pete Smith says,they also became commercial vehicle,motorcar and Ford motor vehicle dealers.
Don Everall sold its entire motorcoach business to National Travel Midlands in January 1974.
Don Everall also operated Don Everall Aviation,based at Pendeford,Wolverhampton Airport.

Don Everall had the reputation of an interesting mixed fleet of motorcoaches of various marques and
models,that included re-builds as well as newly-built motorcoaches.

AEC Reliance MU3RV200,Burlingham Seagull MkIII C41C Motorcoach,CN-QV,BN 5788,NDA 21,Wolverhampton,6-1954,Don Everall.Corgi 97175 Diecast Scale Model.TNUK,OTL-B,M & L,51.4-2020.Chezbois.Com.FNV 3#

AEC.Magnificent lineup of luxury AEC Regal Motorcoaches of Don Everall’s Tours Ltd from the early to mid 1930s.TNUK,OTL-B,M & L,51.4-2020.BlackCountryHistory.3#

VALKYRIE

A Ribble Bristol VR in Liverpool in 1984, freshly painted for The International Garden Festival
which took place at Otterspool Promenade and Gardens beside the River Mersey.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

Ribble Festival bus.jpg

Ribble Leyland PD3, fleet number 1792, at the front of the Royal Liver Building
at the Pier Head, Liverpool, on route number 58 to Litherland.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

Ribble 1792.jpg

Ex London Transport Daimler Fleetline in the fleet of Greater Manchester Transport,
seen on Station Road, Wigan in 1980. The Daimler has received the 3 section GMT
style of route number and destination indicators. There used to be three railway
stations in the town centre of Wigan, but the station that was here on Station Road
closed about 1964. This area is now part of a traffic free shopping mall called Grand Arcade.

Picture by Tom Sutch.

A rather plain and angular looking bus by Optare. I seem to recall that Optare developed
from what was previously Charles H. Roe from Leeds, part of Leyland Group in its later days.

Ray Smyth. NMP.

Ray Smyth:
A rather plain and angular looking bus by Optare. I seem to recall that Optare developed
from what was previously Charles H. Roe from Leeds, part of Leyland Group in its later days.

Ray Smyth. NMP.

Ray,

I don’t think this was an Optare product. It was a demonstrator bodied by Omni who used to be part of East Lancs Coachbuilders. The chassis number is Oi SDJPSZFLRFWD00010 which seems (to me anyway) to suggest that it was an integral product from them.

thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index … t_id=75231

This was an Optare product, I have actually ridden on it at Papplewick Pumping Station.

flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/27399966875 NMP

Pete.

windrush:
This was an Optare product, I have actually ridden on it at Papplewick Pumping Station.

Pete.

The Optare Alero, probably the worst product that Optare have produced. The concept was great but the actual product was so poor it beggared belief. Suffered from suspension and steering problems.

Dennis Javelin:

windrush:

Pete.

The Optare Alero, probably the worst product that Optare have produced. The concept was great but the actual product was so poor it beggared belief. Suffered from suspension and steering problems.

I think it is either the only one left or the only one in preservation? It is used internally to ferry folk from the parking area which is quite a walk from the actual pumping station. Optares seem to have a bad reputation in general, my brother in law works for a bus company as does a friend (different companies) and neither of them rate them highly! The only bus I have travelled on in the 45 years I have lived in Derbyshire was a local Optare and sitting at the rear the noise and vibration when hill climbing was horrendous! Conversation was almost impossible. :confused:

Pete.

windrush:

Dennis Javelin:

windrush:

Pete.

I think it is either the only one left or the only one in preservation? It is used internally to ferry folk from the parking area which is quite a walk from the actual pumping station. Optares seem to have a bad reputation in general, my brother in law works for a bus company as does a friend (different companies) and neither of them rate them highly! The only bus I have travelled on in the 45 years I have lived in Derbyshire was a local Optare and sitting at the rear the noise and vibration when hill climbing was horrendous! Conversation was almost impossible. :confused:

Pete.

There’s still a few out there but getting parts (especially steering) is a nightmare. In general Optare don’t, or are unable, to help with this.

In my opinion that the problem with Optare is that they are always trying to bring out the “game changer” product. History tells us that this seldom works. It’s very much a case of style over substance with them.

DAF 95 - VS 14 HP - V. Kemenade:

Delivery of two new DAF chassis to NCME, Wigan, for bodying.

IMG_0004%2520(640x422).jpgwas this a better idea ?

TROOPER2:
DAF 95 - VS 14 HP - V. Kemenade:

Delivery of two new DAF chassis to NCME, Wigan, for bodying.

Geoff, Thank you for the picture of the delivery to Northern Counties factory at Enfield Street, Pemberton, Wigan.
The building at the rear was until quite recently a public house, The Enfield Inn. It is being altered to accommodate
about 4 self contained flats for private rent. I live approx 600 yards from this location. Keep safe and take care, Cheers, Ray.