Strange motor - a coach or a truck?

3300John:
Hiya …will this do i saw her at Llandudno last week.

Hiya i need this on page one for 10 mins
thanks John

I was driving along the M56 this morning heading towards manchester at about 730am, and coming the other way was a vehicle that seemed to be a bit of a mix-up!

The front 10ft or so was was looked like part of an old 1960s/70s Plaxton coach body, and behind this was a well-executed flatbed body on the chassis! Im going to guess it was on a Leyland chassis if only because the wheels had discs that seemed like the coaches I went to school on.

I vaguely saw a name on the front/sides of “Mason” or something similar!

Anybody else seen it or got pictures of it, as Im still not sure whether I just dreamt it!!

Please put my mind at rest!!

Hiya your not dreaming you did see a plaxton’s recovery truck…we see it at many steam rally’s
and transport festivals,on many occasions there’s some other truck on the back…if you look close
theres a compressor/hiab and much more usefill equipment for recovery bolted on to her.
John

This is how they do it in Norway:

Nothing unusual in this, bus companies often cut-down their old vehicles into lorries for various purposes at the end of their service life…Examples would be for stores, snowplough/gritting and recovery work. Whilst I was working at Yorkshire Traction, three Alexander-bodied Leyland Leopard single deckers were transformed into stores/towing lorries with the front part of the bodywork retained for workshop or breakdown crew use. I believe at least one survives in preservation. There were also numerous private conversions to transporters for racing cars, classic cars or tractors, with the front portion for workshop or sleeping accomodation.

Blue Band had one that I can remember I think it ran Lockerbie to Glasgow people in the front parcels in the back some of the Lockerbie lads could maybe remember it. Eddie.

aye spot on eddie , they used it on a school bus run as well…

Aye Jimmy I canny be as senile as I thought Eddie.

I think this is the motor you saw:

Imgur

marky:

FVO 67D AEC Plaxton Panorama Recovery Vehicle - K & R Wals… | Flickr

Thats a roomy sleeper cab!!!

erfguy:
Blue Band had one that I can remember I think it ran Lockerbie to Glasgow people in the front parcels in the back some of the Lockerbie lads could maybe remember it. Eddie.

I remember it Eddie I used to do the evening papers here in Crawford.When the railway station closed they were delivered by the blue band bus which passed through the village round about 6pm.It came in the morning about 8.00 am.A few years later I used to get home from Hamilton when I was attending Motherwell College.My cousin Tom Geddes who stayed in Lockerbie used to drive it.
Had problems logging in so slight change to user name.Havn’t had time to look out these photos yet.
Robert.

marky:

FVO 67D AEC Plaxton Panorama Recovery Vehicle - K & R Wals… | Flickr

I wonder if it’s ex Bartons of Nottingham with that “VO” reg?

I have several pictures of those combination Bus/Lorry vehicles some are quite good i will post them if anyone is interested

LB76:
I have several pictures of those combination Bus/Lorry vehicles some are quite good i will post them if anyone is interested

Hiya LB76…we’re waiting !!! of corse we’er intresret…4 or more wheels and runs on diesel and we’re glued
John

Hi Robert.

No problem about the photos there’s no rush. Can you mind what make Blue Band’s lorry/bus was would it be a Bedford I canny mind ■■. Maybe a Penman built body. Eddie.

220pxkombinertnsbbilhh.jpg

Another strange motor

94434607.jpg

Got some pics somewhere of this one that runs a regular service on the route - a T.I.R. approved bus what next!

Hiya …will this do i saw her at Llandudno last week.

John