Buses, coaches, & lorries

Very soon after the end of World War 11, Liverpool Corporation began to place orders for new buses,
some of their existing fleet was from the mid 1930s, and under normal circumstances, would have
replaced many of them after 10 years or so. Large orders were placed with AEC, Crossley, Daimler,
Guy, and Leyland. The Daimler order was for 100 chassis, 50 to be bodied by Northern Counties, and
50 to receive body frames by Weymann, with completion at the Corporations massive workshop and
bus and tram depot at Edge Lane. This Daimler, D587 was one that had Weymann framework.
The 2nd picture is one of the Daimlers that received bodywork by Northern Counties in 1948. NMP.

LCPT Daimler.jpg

This Bedford staff canteen artic was one of several which Liverpool Corporation acquired in the late 1950s
from London Transport. It is at the Old Haymarket bus terminus in the centre of Liverpool, and was used by
the bus crews of Liverpool Corporation and Ribble Motor Services. The Mersey Tunnel entrance and exit is
just to the left of the picture, and the new flyover, at the rear, built in the 1960s, was demolished recently. NMP.

Hi Ray,

I hope you and your family are well and keeping safe,I have been loading all my old negatives on to my computer during the lockdown from various places around the UK I took in the early 60’s here’s a couple of Wigan Corporation for you,I’ll put more on as and when I come to them.
Take care.
Regards
Richard

pete smith:

oiltreader:
Don Everall Commer thanks to Arriva436.
Oily

Don Everall was a local company to me, ended up being a large Ford dealer, everything from cars to HGV’s. Sadly all gone now.

Hi Pete,

Hope you and Mrs.Smith are keeping well in these troubled times, looks like Locomotion won’t be happening !!

Don Everall used to pick us up from Highfields School and take us to Dunstall Park for our P.E lesson Cross Country run every week good old days.

Keep safe

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:
Hi Ray,

I hope you and your family are well and keeping safe,I have been loading all my old negatives on to my computer during the lockdown from various places around the UK I took in the early 60’s here’s a couple of Wigan Corporation for you,I’ll put more on as and when I come to them.
Take care.
Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, Thank you for the pictures of buses in Wigan town centre in the 1960s.
I look forward to some more interesting pictures. Keep safe and take care.
Best regards, Ray.

Old british buses formerly victoria tour buses store in a field in Coombs Vancouver island Canada some dating back before world war 2 . I hear this storage facility doesnt exist anymore .What a shame

images.jpg

440445163_10aedc7462_z.jpg

Just found this picture of this solid-rubber tyred triple-decker bus on a French forum. Who will say more about it?

Froggy55:
Just found this picture of this solid-rubber tyred triple-decker bus on a French forum. Who will say more about it?

Fantastic photo Froggy! Hamburg. It must have been built for one of the early Harry Potter films.
Here’s a later one:

Froggy55:
0Just found this picture of this solid-rubber tyred triple-decker bus on a French forum. Who will say more about it?

Hi Froggy, Judging by the route indicator at the rear of the top deck,
It shows Steffiner Bhf, which sounds German for a Railway Station.

Cheers, Ray.

Thanks to to both of you! It ought to have run in a very flat city! Missing a pavement edge could have been enough to overturn it!

Hi I’m restoring a 1970 scammell handyman gardner 180 aec gearbox and reduction rear axle I would like to know who built the axle I have been told it’s an odd axle could be leyland could be albion as it’s on the changeover from scammell transmission all I know it’s got five planetary gears and the later ones have three any ideas anyone thanks the lorry is ex bass charringtons from burton on trent

Royal Blue line up at Swanage, all credit to Chris Downer for the photo.
Oily

Bus Royal Blue Swanage,four_Royal_Blues-_geograph.org.uk Chris Downer cc by sa 2.0 _-_1365191.jpg

Merseybus, all credit to Harry Pope for the photo.
Oily

OK Motor Services ex Halifax Corporation, 1960 AEC Regent V, MCCW H40.32F bodywork seen Bishop Auckland Market Place 1974.
Oily

oiltreader:
Royal Blue line up at Swanage, all credit to Chris Downer for the photo.
Oily

Great machines from Bristol and Lowestoft Eddie, Cheers, Ray.

A St Helens Corporation Leyland PD2 passing through Market Place in Wigan on route
362, Wigan to St Helens. Routes 362 and 352 were a joint service shared by Ribble and
St Helens Corporation, but the St Helens buses only appeared at peak times. The other
three Leylands in the picture are from Wigan Corporation.

St Helens PD2 L29.jpg

oiltreader:
OK Motor Services ex Halifax Corporation, 1960 AEC Regent V, MCCW H40.32F bodywork seen Bishop Auckland Market Place 1974.
Oily

Hi Oily. Looks like one of Carl Williams diesel transits in the shot there. Probably a York motor in it.

oiltreader:
Oily

Thank you for a very busy picture. I don’t ever recall seeing an AEC Mk V with 30ft
bodywork, or with forward entrance bodywork. Cheers, Ray.

Paul John:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Oily. Looks like one of Carl Williams diesel transits in the shot there. Probably a York motor in it.

A lot of farm tractors of the same era were quieter :laughing:
Oily

Ex Midland Red Leyland Leopard with Marshall bodywork, all credit to Dave Root for the photo.
Oily