Buses, coaches, & lorries

cav551:

oiltreader:
Thanks to VALKYRIE for the detailed info on the decker :smiley:
Oily
An East Kent OMO in good nick.

390 DKK owned by Brian Catchpole is very active on the running day scene. AFAIK this was originally a Coach but like other M&D Reliances converted to dual purpose spec. Built to 2MU3RV spec the bus was originally powered by an AEC AH 470 engine and vacuum braked. After numerous head gasket failures in preservation it was decided that persevering with this particular 470 engine was not a realistic proposition and neither was the work involved in simply fitting another. Brian decided that the best option was to substitute an AH 505. THe actual engine change apparently proved quite straight forward however there was a problem with the braking system since no AEC 505 engines were ever built for vacuum braked vehicles. The exhauster drive gear has teeth of a different pitch and angle to those on a compressor. There is a lengthy article somewhere on t’internet describing the lengths necessary to overcome this problem. When I find it I shall post a link.

Sorry CAV but for the sake of accuracy I must contradict you. BRS had AV505 Mercury tractor units with both a compressor and an exhauster. BRS still had hundreds of vacuum braked trailers in the mid 1960s. My uncle bought Mercury tractor unit HUB 311E second hand in 1970, ex-BRS Leeds and it had both braking systems. It came with a vacuum tank as well as air tanks, air brake susies, and vacuum susies. In fact we never took them off. All that lot behind the cab looked quite impressive.

Oily this AEC Reliance belonged tom Maidstone & District in their distinctive green &n cream livery, East Kent buses and coaches were cherry red and cream.
Cheers, Leyland 600

I asked around for a copy of the relevant article to get chapter and verse on this. I can only assume that AEC built a few specials with a compressor one side and an exhauster the other side of the timing case, because the timing gears for a 505 will not mesh with a similar gear for a 470. My guess is either that these BRS lorries had an engine driven compressor which had a through drive to an exhauster and then a through drive to the fuel injection pump; more easy to achieve with the much smaller rotary DPA pump but not impossible with an in line. Alternatively the simple solution would be to have the exhauster driven from the transmission.

The article is from the newsletter of “Friends of Classic London Buses of the Fifties”

Fitting an AEC 505 engine into a vacuum-braked 470 Reliance. The impossible we can do, miracles…

By Brian Catchpole

The Problem:
The AEC “MU” Reliance was introduced in the mid fifties with the newly developed 410 cu inch (6.75 litres) lightweight wet-liner engine lying horizontally under the floor. As operators demanded more power, the engine was stretched to 470 cu inch (7.68 litres) by increasing the bore size from 105mm to 112mm. In this form it developed an unhealthy reputation for overheating and head-gasket failure. This generally occurred between the cylinder and one of the cooling system ports leading to loss of coolant, failure of the saloon heaters and, eventually, a sump full of oil/water emulsion. When left to cool down, the remaining coolant could drain back into the cylinder causing hydraulic lock when attempting to start the engine. Bent con rods were not unknown as a result. The heads then have to come off and, at the very minimum, the gaskets replaced. I have been round this circuit approx 6 times in 14 years ownership of 1958 Maidstone and District Reliance 470, 390 DKK. Heads have been skimmed, liners replaced, different heads used and expensive handmade copper gaskets tried out, all to no avail.

The Cause ?
Theories abound: the cooling system capacity was inadequate; the radiator was too small, liner height variation and the thinner liners of the stretched engine being commonly mentioned. My own view is that the design was flawed from day one. The engine has only one head stud in the land between the cylinders. Instead of the conventional 6 studs surrounding each cylinder, the “lightweight” 410/470 makes do with 5. A glance at the illustration of the heads shows just how easy it is for the gasket to blow from 2 adjacent cylinders to the rather large waterway. Any imperfection in the flatness of the block or heads or difference in liner heights simply accelerates the problem.

What did AEC do about it?
Initially, they decided that fitting high-tensile head studs would allow the head to be held down tighter. Torque settings were increased from 90 to 110 lb ft. Subsequently a revised design of head gasket was specified, eliminating the little rubber O-rings which were supposed to seal the waterways. None the less the problem did not really go away until well into the 1960s when the dry-liner 505 (8.80 litres) engine was developed, complete with 6 head studs per cylinder. Most, if not all, 505 engines were fitted with air compressors and DPA rotary diesel injector pumps. By this time vacuum brakes were a thing of the past and in-line pumps were also rapidly becoming extinct. A very few vacuum-braked 470 engines were fitted with DPA pumps but finding the adaptor which allows the 505 DPA pump to fit to the end of the 470 exhauster is close to mission impossible. Likewise finding an exhauster that was originally fitted to a 505 also proved impossible, if indeed such a combination ever existed.

What did operators do?
Once the 505 was available many operators decided to change their 470 engines for the newly- developed engine. Whether by design or by good fortune, AEC designed the 505 to fit directly into the existing MU Reliance chassis using the same engine mounting points so the changeover was, on the face of it, quite straightforward. For those with air-braked vehicles fitted with DPA rotary fuel injector pumps this was indeed the case. Our own, air-braked, ex-Western Welsh Harrington Grenadier ABO 145B was fitted with a 505 years ago and the heads have only been off once in 27 years. For older vacuum- braked chassis with in-line pumps the cost and trouble of re-engineering the ancillaries was probably prohibitive. Most operators pensioned off their vacuum-braked 470 Reliances as soon as they decently could. M & D certainly replaced most of theirs, but 390 DKK survived mechanically unmodified, well into the 1970s, probably because of the expense incurred in modifying the body-work from touring coach to DP spec in the mid 1960s. M & D wanted a return on their investment.

So, can a 505 be fitted into a vacuum braked chassis?
The answer is Yes, but not without solving a few problems along the way. Having reluctantly decided that 390 DKK would have no future without an engine change to a 505, I canvassed opinion among fellow owners and various AEC experts. The responses varied from “it’s a doddle” to “it’s impossible”. Undaunted, the search was on for a suitable engine. An engine coupled to a 5 speed synchromesh gearbox was located in the South Wales valleys. This had come out of another air-braked Western Welsh vehicle which had originally been fitted with a 470. Hence it was fitted with a rotary pump and air compressor. The decision was made to install the complete engine/gearbox but to use the vacuum exhauster and in-line injector pump from the existing 470.

What’s involved?
Removing the complete engine/gearbox unit is straightforward. At least it is if you have a set of 4-post lifts, a pile of pallets, a pallet truck and a few competent helpers. We started after lunch and had it all out by about 4.30 pm one November afternoon. The process entails lifting the bus up, undoing everything leaving the engine mountings finger tight, and draining all the fluids. Lower the bus down gently with a pile of pallets underneath until the weight of the engine/gearbox unit is firmly on the pallets. Undo the engine mountings and raise the bus up. Finally, pull the complete unit clear using a pallet truck. It is really that simple. (See photo on previous page.)

Engine removal revealed the previously inaccessible and filthy centre section of the chassis. There then followed 3 cold winter months of chassis scraping, removal of corroded chassis lube pipes, rust treatment, undercoating and silver-painting so that the replacement engine could be fitted into a spotless engine bay.

In parallel, the 505 engine was cleaned and the compressor/diesel pump assembly removed. The injectors were removed and sent for servicing and to be set up to run with an in line pump. Although the mounting arrangements for the compressor and vacuum exhauster onto the engines are apparently identical, the lubrication arrangements are different. A core plug has to be fitted into the block where the compressor drains oil into the crankcase and the pipe work for the oil feed/drain transferred from the 470 to the 505.

The vacuum exhauster then has to be fitted. At this point, it becomes apparent why some experts believe that this conversion is impossible. The main timing drive gears at the front of a 505 are quite different from those on a 470. The teeth are cut at a different angle. Hence, a vacuum exhauster from a 470 simply will not mesh with the drive gear on a 505. The picture shows the difference. Given that finding an exhauster that was originally fitted to a 505 was impossible, the only solution is to take the driven gear from a 505 compressor and have it re engineered to fit the vacuum exhauster. Unfortunately this is complicated by the fact that the compressor driven gear has a parallel centre with key way, whereas the exhauster needs a taper fit centre. There is nothing, however, that cannot be solved by a combination of a good engineering shop and a lump of cash.

There remains the problem of connecting the in-line injector pump to the 505 injectors. This arises because the in-line pump uses the larger size nuts and the injectors the smaller size associated with DPA pumps. Thus, the injector pipes from either of the donor engines are useless. The only solution is to have a new set of pipes made up with different size nuts at each end. Then bend gently to shape making sure they will clear the chassis as space is very tight.

Having sorted out these problems over the winter, we undertook the refitting in April and it was nearly as straightforward as the removal process. The exhaust down-pipe fits straight on with 3 bolts, and all the drive-shaft mounting points and cooling connections are identical. Some new pipe work had to be created to connect the diesel dribble return, and the air intake trunking from the air cleaner has to be modified as the 505 manifold inlet is larger than the 470. Finally the injector pump timing has to be reset as the in-line pump setting is very different from the DPA.

It was then a question of filling with oil and water, bleeding the diesel pump and pressing the starter. It ran but was rather lumpy and lacked power. Some experimentation with the pump timing on the road has resolved much of this and the engine now works well, albeit some way off the timing spec given in the manual. Perhaps we fitted the driven gear one cog out?

Was it worth it?
Nine months on and with several trips behind us, we now have a vehicle which feels like it will not let us down. It is no faster than it ever was and doesn’t have the get up and go of a DPA pumped 505 like ABO. It is noticeably noisier than the 470 but at least the cab and saloon heaters work for the first time in years. What more can we ask?

Thank you:
My thanks go to my son Mark and fellow members of the North Kent Vehicle Preservation Group who assisted at all stages. Also to Goddens of East Malling who re-engineered the exhauster driven gear, Cooks Autodiesel of Faversham who serviced the injectors/made new pipes and to John Evans of Bargoed who supplied the 505.

Regarding engine removal: way back in the thirties Morris Commercial made their double decker bus so that the complete front axle with radiator, engine and transmission could be wheeled out as a complete unit which seems a good idea to me. Of course back then it was an overhead (or high?) cam petrol engine so probably needed more regular maintenance like decarbonosing for instance? I assume that nowadays rear engined busses will have a similar set up.

Pete.

Leyland600:
Oily this AEC Reliance belonged tom Maidstone & District in their distinctive green &n cream livery, East Kent buses and coaches were cherry red and cream.
Cheers, Leyland 600

:blush: Hello G ta for that now sorted and to make amends a couple of East Kent coaches.
Cheers
Oily

Bus East Kent Martin49 cc by 2.0 10310444224_a88fc7aaba_k.jpg

Bus East Kent 1949 Dennis Lancet J3 - East Kent Roadcar Jon Bennett cc by 2.0 131531239_f65353a057_k.jpg

oiltreader:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

:blush: Hello G ta for that now sorted and to make amends a couple of East Kent coaches.
Cheers
Oily

I maintained and occasionally drove WFN 513. The bus a similar 2MU3RV chassis to 390 DKK, however early in its life it had been fitted with the AEC D197 six speed overdrive 'box to improve journey times on the newly opened M2 Motorway. This combination with an underfloor engine makes gearchanging a precise matter requiring concentration with a load of noisy passengers. This turned it into a real flying machine. I can vouch for its ability to achieve in excess of 70 mph. :smiley: . It not only ran an express service from Canterbury to London but toured Europe extensively; unless they have been sold off when it departed my care it still has blinds for many European destinations as well as the major UK Towns.

I was involved with it for some six years during which it covered a fair mileage for a preserved bus. It was not without its problems however including the dreaded head gasket failure. My theory was that not only did the design suffer from the engine related issue but the entire cooling sytem design was very poor. The saloon heaters were above the level of the coolant header tank so they air locked, but worse the header tank was so small and badly sited that it was very difficult to see the actual coolant level, consequently it was very easy to overfill it. There was no pressure cap, just the old style flip-up oil filler type cap . This encouraged the coolant to overflow when hot and to continue to syphon out unless the level had been very carefully set on departure. In fact unless it was almost overfull one had no idea how much coolant was in it. The result was repeated complaints of ‘cold bus’ and much bleeding of heater pipes.

Its other major failing for some time was its inabilty to achieve more than about 19/20 inches of vacuum. On the road this was not a real problem but roller brake testing does not simulate the conditions in motion since the engine is on tickover rather than over-run. A vacuum brake draws down the assistance level on the gauge very noticeably when applied. Once mastered, the skill of left foot braking at MOT while keeping the engine revs up to a moderate level, then there was never an issue on test. The low vacuum had continued even after a ‘new’ old stock exhauster was fitted, but a few washers added underneath the ‘snifter valve’ spring overcame the problem permanently.

Shortly after purchase the bus had been sent away for conversion to AC charging, this had required a rather Heath Robinson addition to the generator drive shaft. The Alternator clearly did not approve with consequent frequent failures of the input bearing. Eventually a modification to the resilient couplings at each end overcame this and the considerable noise produced by the protesting bearings. The same problem arose with the fan drive shaft bearings which became increasingly noisy. Their renewal and a specially-made more aggressive fan improved not just the noise but engine temperature on hot days.

cav551:
I asked around for a copy of the relevant article to get chapter and verse on this. I can only assume that AEC built a few specials with a compressor one side and an exhauster the other side of the timing case, because the timing gears for a 505 will not mesh with a similar gear for a 470. My guess is either that these BRS lorries had an engine driven compressor which had a through drive to an exhauster and then a through drive to the fuel injection pump; more easy to achieve with the much smaller rotary DPA pump but not impossible with an in line. Alternatively the simple solution would be to have the exhauster driven from the transmission.

The exhauster was part of the compressor as a single unit to outward appearance, the entire component was about twice the length of a standard compressor. It probably was driven as you describe, but the shaft was enclosed. My uncle was a time served fitter (as many haulage men of his generation was) and one day I saw him studying the valve arrangements for the braking system. After he had worked out how it functioned he decided to leave well alone and that’s why all the pipework and vacuum tank etc were left in situ. It never pulled a vacuum braked trailer in the four or five years he ran it. He had several Mercury’s, rigids and tractor units, but one abiding memory of HUB 311E was its wonderfully smooth take up of the drive when you let the clutch in. No matter what weight was behind it, and usually it was plenty, the drive take up was as smooth as silk.

On another matter Bob Fryars, AEC and Leyland Chief Engineer wrote a series of articles on the development of the A470 engine. I’ll dig them out and get his opinion on the head gasket problem.

I think that the 505 engined AEC Marshall’s that we ran at Tilcon (before my time there) had headgasket issues as well, usually just the rear head.

Pete.

I’ve done a quick speed read of Bob Fryars’ articles about the design and development of the AEC A410 and A470 engines. There are some 12 pages of very technical information. Without wishing to be too critical of Brian Catchpole, who understandably was very frustrated about constant head gasket failures with his engine he is wrong in one or two of his comments.

Firstly, the A470 was never a “stretched” A410; both sizes of engines were designed as such from scratch, albeit some of the engine was based on an earlier pre-WW2 AEC 6.6 litre engine.

Secondly, much of the head gasket problems started after the switch to unified thread cylinder head studs and bolts, which was all to do with different thread pitches and depth of stud, and quite frankly is too technical for me. However, the switch to unified threads was forced on AEC by the Ministry of Defence (as it is now) that specified unified threads. This also coincided with the switch to DPA distributor type fuel injection pumps, and they had a characteristic, not fully known about or understood at the time, of increasing cylinder pressures under certain operating circumstances. Again all highly technical and way beyond my knowledge of how a diesel engine works.

Lastly for now, Bob Fryars was never too concerned about head gasket failures per se with this engine range. The vast majority were trouble free and gave good service. Interestingly he states that the A410 and A470 were the most profitable engines for AEC that they ever made.

My own comments from personal experience of the AVU470 and AV505, both in service and preservation in lorries. Never had any head gasket issues and couldn’t fault them.

I have had a sift through the six years worth of invoices I sent regarding WFN . The bus certainly earned me a fair amount, but reading through some of them has brought back memories of some of the nightmares involved. That money was earned the hard way, with the accompanying cuts and bruises for trophies. Renewing many lengths of corroded 3/4" steel vacuum pipe that didn’t q u i t e line up without an additional tweak or three to start the union nuts; ditto renewing the oil pressure gauge pipe all the way from the underfloor engine to the binnacle, through about a dozen securing clips and behind cross members, numerous autolube pipes and the radiator; getting the steering box in and out for overhaul and getting the radiator complete with shroud, the fan and its support bracket and 3 ft long driveshaft out and back in place.

I can’t really say I was sad to see it go.

Mirando do Corvo Portugal thanks to Dave Fawcett.
Oily

Leyland Leopard thanks to Chris Sampson.
Oily

Bus by HHA124L is licensed under CC BY 2.0 3300152153_0d09c54666_b.jpg

This bus was manufactured by UTIC in Portugal I think it may be semi chassisless possibly but using AEC running units ie engine, gearbox and axles. Also here are two photos I took back in the 1990s at Pera in Portugal of a Guy, AEC and Leyland.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Dennis Javelin chassis No 2. First one built for sale as chassis No 1 was retained for test purposes

Javelin 002.JPG

Dennis Javelin E951EPD (2) was initially used by Dennis and Duple as a Demonstrator:

Early Javelins E984FPM (5) and E748HJF (19) were also used as demonstrators (both with Plaxton bodywork):

Howa’ the Lads,
credit to Eddie(eastleighbusman) for the photo.
Oily

I found this picture of two charabancs about to set off from Wigan town centre to go to
Blackpool on a staff day out in 1927. Ben Turner, who owned several butchers shops is
in a chauffeur driven car with his wife. I don’t know the makes of any of the motorcoaches
or their owners, the leading one has the name " Premier " on the bonnet, and the second
one shows " M & W ". A long standing firm in Wigan is Middleton & Woods, a Funeral company,
perhaps they operated coaches many years ago.

Ray Smyth.

I’m surprised to see they still drove people in solid-rubber tyred coaches in 1927. They must have been very uncomfortable, especially on cobble-paved streets!

Ray Smyth:
I found this picture of two charabancs about to set off from Wigan town centre to go to
Blackpool on a staff day out in 1927. Ben Turner, who owned several butchers shops is
in a chauffeur driven car with his wife. I don’t know the makes of any of the motorcoaches
or their owners, the leading one has the name " Premier " on the bonnet, and the second
one shows " M & W ". A long standing firm in Wigan is Middleton & Woods, a Funeral company,
perhaps they operated coaches many years ago.

Ray Smyth.

The first charabanc is probably a Leyland.

Regarding the " Charabanc " picture above, I remember that Middleton & Woods operated
Private Hire taxis in Wigan which may have developed from charabancs from years ago.
Their cars in the 1960s and into the 1970s were Austin Cambridge and Austin Westminsters.
At that time, their wedding and funeral cars were Austin A170, I cant think of the model name.

Ray Smyth.