Buses, coaches, & lorries

This location is Bowring Park Road in the Huyton with Roby district of Liverpool in 1957.
The tram on route 6A is at the terminus, and will soon set off back to the city centre.
A few weeks later, Liverpools last tram left here, and returned to Edge Lane depot.

About 15 years later, the houses on the right were demolished, and this stretch of road
became the last mile of the M62 Motorway, finishing at Queens Drive. The youngster who
is stood alone to the right is standing where lane 1 or 2 is now, in the direction of Liverpool.

In the far distance is what is probably a Crosville bus on its way to Prescot or Warrington.

Ray Smyth

Ray, 1424 was allocated new to Carlisle in 1955 no doubt I travelled on it now and again to and from work 1957-60. Carlisle Town Hall to London Rd, Brook St. 24 of these PD 2/12s were allocated to Carlisle.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Ray, 1424 was allocated new to Carlisle in 1955 no doubt I travelled on it now and again to and from work 1957-60. Carlisle Town Hall to London Rd, Brook St. 24 of these PD 2/12s were allocated to Carlisle.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Thank you for your comment Gerald, I recall seeing many Ribble PD2 buses on Merseyside in the 1950s and 1960s.
There were 3 Ribble depots in the area, Aintree, Bootle, and Skelhorne Street in the city centre. During my 2 years
at the Wigan depot of Ribble, there were just 4 PD2 Leylands, 1438…1461…1464…and 1486. Were there ever any
buses run by the local authority in Carlisle, as in other towns and cities…Corporation Buses ? Cheers, Ray.

Ray, No the Corporation had a small fleet of trams from early 1900s until early 1930s which were a bad state of repair by then, this was the time that Ribble acquired a few local small independants and set up the city network of services. The old tram depot still exists on London Rd.
Cheers Leyland 600.

This Liverpool Corporation Leyland PD2, fleet number L210 was one of many PD2s bought in the 1950s.
I believe that the radiator grill was to a simple design by Liverpool Corporation.
The bus is at the Pier Head terminus, in front of The Royal Liver Building.
The next two buildings are The Cunard Shipping, and Mersey Docks & Harbour Board,

Ribble fleet number 205, a Leyland Leopard, passing through Market Place in the centre of Wigan.
It is on route W7, a National Coal Board contract to and from Cronton Colliery, which is not far
from Widnes. This journey operated 3 times a day, leaving Wigan at 5a.m. 1p.m and 9p.m,
in order that it would cover the 3 shifts that the colliers worked, 6-2…2-10…10-6.
As it was a contract, there were no bus fares taken on these journeys.
Judging the Poppy Red paintwork and the signage, I think this is mid 1970s. NMP.
Ray Smyth.

Another picture of Ribble fleet number 205, at the bus station in Hope Street, Wigan.
The Leyland has arrived from Roby Mill on route 316. This service was operated only
on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, to enable the residents of Roby Mill to get into town
for their shopping. There were 3 round trips on Friday and Saturday, and 2 round trips
on Sunday, probably for churchgoers. Service 105 to Bispham Green, a small village
between Mawdesley and Ormskirk was another route which only operated 3 days a week.

NMP Ray Smyth.

Since we tend to feature several operators rather more than others I trawled through the Old Bus Photos site to look for some we don’t discuss either at all or only infrequently. Hopefully there will be something of local interest to readers. Here follows several pages, if you scroll to the bottom of each thread for pages 2.3 etc, of holiday reading (including the normal bus hairy’s off topic diversions) on each of the following:

Potteries Motor Traction: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=196

Eastern Counties: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=491

Yorkshire Woollen District: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=51

Trent: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=447

Rotherham Corporation: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=84

Western Welsh: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=496

Hants and Dorset: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=418

Edinburgh Corporation: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=511

Warrington Corporation: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=500

■■■■■■■■■■■ old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=521

Tynemouth and District: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=387

Exeter Corporation: old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=395

Ribble fleet number 206, one of many Leyland Leopards, seen soon after a repaint at the
Wigan depot, and at the bus station in Hope Street in the town centre. The indicator is
showing route 333, which went to Wrightington Hospital via Shevington, Appley Bridge,
and Dangerous Corner. NMP.

Ribble fleet number 217, a Leyland Leopard at the bus station in Hope Street, Wigan.
It is on route 304 to Lower Adlington, a small town on the A6, between Bolton and Chorley.
The bus is in its original Ribble livery, but the fleet name is in the new lower case lettering,
which suggests early 1970s.
NMP. Ray Smyth.

Ribble fleet number 1578, a Leyland PD3 seen in Carlisle with bodywork by Burlingham of Blackpool. NMP.
Ray Smyth.

Alexander bodied Leyland Lynx - SBS3572Y - Singapore Bus services:

Plenty of “blasts from the past” in this picture.

Ribble fleet number 339, a Bristol RE with bodywork by Eastern Coachworks of Lowestoft.
The Bristol is seen at the bus station at Hope Street, Wigan, on route 316 to Roby Mill. NMP.

gingerfold:

Don’t see traffic bobbies like that any more and the trolley buses either

gingerfold:

aaahh, the aroma from the Kardomah,!

I travelled on this Setra bus several times during its first week in service in September 2018.
I don’t know the location of the first picture, the Setra looks brand new, and I think it could
have been taken on the motorway services when it was on delivery, the route indicator is not
illuminated. Pictures 2 and 3 are at the terminus in Mojacar Pueblo (Village), about 2 miles
in from Mojacar Playa. It costs 1.20 Euros whether you travel for 1 stop or the full journey.

Ray Smyth.

Rodrigues Setra 3.jpg

Rodrigues Setra 2.jpg

Ribble fleet number 484, a Leyland Leopard, on Skelhorne Street in Liverpool.
On the left is Lime Street Station, and just to the right of the picture is the
Ribble bus station, entrance in Blake Street. NMP>

This location is Mesnes (Pronounced Mains) Street in the centre of Wigan in the late 1970s or early 1980s.
Lancashire United Transport fleet number 450, a Leyland Leopard, has just left the bus station at Hope Street,
and is on route 320 to Liverpool. The 320 bus and what looks like an ex Bolton Corporation Leyland Atlantean
are now in the orange and white livery of Greater Manchester Transport.

NMP. Ray Smyth.

A few links to flickr showing Mud and Dust at rural stops, all copyright to David Flett:

flickr.com/photos/9003948@N … ddistrict/

and local Town services:

Town Service: