Buses, coaches, & lorries

Ray, I have spent many minutes sitting here at the ■■■■■■■■■■ Motor Services entrance to Lowther St bus station frequently in a PD 3 frequently 1578 waiting for time back in 1964 when operating C3s & C4s St Anne’s Hill to Morton Park. The door on the extreme right of the photo is the ■■■■■■■■■■ booking and parcels office with Ribble’s identical facilities on the opposite side ofthe bus station.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Ribble fleet number 570, a Leyland Leopard, and a Western Scottish Bristol RE at Lowther Street
bus station in Carlisle in the 1970s. NMP.
Ray Smyth

Ray, note the ■■■■■■■■■■ MS coach garage shown behind the BMC FG lorry in my posting has been demolished when your photograph was taken. It is listed as closed in 1972.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Ray Smyth:
Ribble fleet number 570, a Leyland Leopard, and a Western Scottish Bristol RE at Lowther Street
bus station in Carlisle in the 1970s. NMP.
Ray Smyth

Hi Leyland 600 ,
If my memory serves me right , is that Ribble Leopard bus one longer ones that had the front 4 seats removed to bring it down from a 53 seater
to a 44 or 45 seater for the purpose of not needing a Conductor.Conductress ? I travelled on some of those Leopards between Sedbergh and Kirkby Lonsdale in the late 1960`s .

Cheers , cattle wagon man .

Hi CWM, this Leopard 570 with Marshal body is listed as a 53 seater thus an 11 metre (36Ft) saloon. There was some identical looking short Leopards DRN XXXD that were 30 foot 44 seaters bought for sparse country routes, despite their shorter length they had very heavy steering, these are the buses I think you are referring to. A good number of them were acquired by ■■■■■■■■■■ MS in the early 1960s.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi CWM, this Leopard 570 with Marshal body is listed as a 53 seater thus an 11 metre (36Ft) saloon.
There was some identical looking short Leopards DRN XXXD that were 30 foot 44 seaters bought for sparse country routes.
Cheers, Leyland 600

MAN665D was originally Ribble 665 (DRN665D). After service with Ribble, it passed to Isle of Man Transport and is now
preserved by an Isle of Man resident. 665 is a regular attender of rallies and events on the mainland.

This picture looks like South John Street in Liverpool in the late 1960s.
Wigan Corporation Leyland PD2 on route 320 to Wigan.
Lancashire United Guy on route 39 to Manchester.
St Helens Corporation on route 317 to St Helens.
At the rear, a Liverpool Corporation Leyland PD2 can be seen. NMP.

320 39 317.jpg

Here you are Ray, a few old European coaches.

cav551:
Last few weeks of the London RT in revenue service. Route 62 kept RT buses which were only 7’ 6" wide because of a narrow bridge at Chadwell Heath. Route 87 was the penultimate route.

this is great.out of interest how wide was a standard routemaster ?

A Routemaster is 8 feet wide.

London Transport had some rather strange ideas as most noticeably did the Metropolitan Police who had a long history of vetoing various aspects of bus operation and design. The 8 foot wide RTL was not allowed to operate in Central London initially because the Met said no. IIRC there was something similar regarding the RML being too long initially. Going into the mists of time the Met objected to buses having a roof over the top deck, similarly objecting to the driver having a cab door or a windscreen. Service buses pre-war were regarded as Hackney Carriages requiring a (taxi) licence plate to be displayed; the Met was the issuing authority.

Edit: RTW not RTL

cav551:
A Routemaster is 8 feet wide.

London Transport had some rather strange ideas as most noticeably did the Metropolitan Police who had a long history of vetoing various aspects of bus operation and design.

That’s interesting never realised they were that wide.The Met must have been upset at us going over Feltham railway bridge at 12 feet wide over the mirrors in that case although admittedly it could get a bit nerve wracking sometimes. :laughing:

A coach of Autocares Baraza on the 55 minute journey from Mojacar to Vera in Almeria Province in South-East Spain.

Thanks to Dave Fawcett, snapped at a Cambridge Rally 1993 BDV 343 (1936) Daimler , Lanchester 10 since painted green and now in France. A one off I guess.
Oily

oiltreader:
Thanks to Dave Fawcett, snapped at a Cambridge Rally 1993 BDV 343 (1936) Daimler , Lanchester 10 since painted green and now in France. A one off I guess.
Oily

Looks like the body was a bitsa- I’ve spotted parts of AEC and Bristol on the front end and I’m sure I recognise that bonnet pressing from somewhere.

Retired Old ■■■■:

oiltreader:
Oily

Looks like the body was a bitsa- I’ve spotted parts of AEC and Bristol on the front end and I’m sure I recognise that bonnet pressing from somewhere.

I’d say that the radiator grille is from a P4 Rover (too small for AEC) and the bonnet is probably from a Daimler ambulance (which may or may not be why it bears a Daimler badge). R

ERF-NGC-European:

Retired Old ■■■■:

oiltreader:
Oily

I’d say that the radiator grille is from a P4 Rover (too small for AEC) and the bonnet is probably from a Daimler ambulance (which may or may not be why it bears a Daimler badge). R

Info here bonhams.com/auctions/21901/ … egory=list also click on The Spa Classic Sale, some beautiful motors.
Oily

Liverpool Corporation fleet number A156, an AEC Regent 111, arriving at the Pier Head on route 85.
Route 85 went to the Speke district of Liverpool. The bodywork is by Crossley, I think it would have
looked better with a proper AEC radiator grill. On the upper deck, the bus conductor is changing the
destination blind from “Pier Head” to “Speke”. NMP.

Liverpool Corporation fleet number L307, a Leyland PD2, arriving at the Pier Head on route 17D.
The conductor has already changed the destination blind from PIER HEAD to UTTING AV from the
panel at the inner front end of the upper deck. This bus was one of a number that entered service in
unpainted aluminium, it was said that it was for 2 reasons… 1, to test how unpainted aluminium
stood up to the sea air with Liverpool being right on the west coast, and 2, it was a financial saving
because most of them remained unpainted for their entire time of about 17 years in the fleet.
This bus appears at the rear of the previous picture as starts its descent of Water Street.

Some from the Sunderland area Tyneside

Sunderland11 1.jpg

Sunderland10 1.jpg

Sunderland9 1.jpg

Sunderland8 1.jpg

Sunderland4 1.jpg

Sunderland3 1.jpg

Carney coaches 1.jpg

One or two more Tyneside

Haymarket.jpg

Advert 1946 1.jpg