BRIDGE STRIKES.

kr79:

mazzer:
The majority of strikes are the drivers fault however would help if all bridges were signed in both feet and metres and the measurements were accurate running on the continent can get under every 4metre bridge yet can’t get through Blackwell northbound obviously a Dutch 4 metre is different to an English 4 metre

They lowered the height in the northbound tunnel about a year or so back was 4 meters or 13.4 in feet and inches now 13.0 or what ever that is in metres.
I suppose to make more revenue at dartford.
Proper PITA used to go in to the chemical works just before the tunnel quite a bit with a 4 metre trailer then had to go all the way to dartford or wait god knows how long at the ferry to go to barking for the reload

13 feet is 4 metres. Which is what the sign at the tunnel says now 13 feet/4 metres :wink:

shuttlespanker:
there is a 15’ bridge on the A5 at Hinckley, it has got the infra red sensors that if an over height vehicle passes through, it lights up rather large LED signs saying that you are over height, and turn around, there is a roundabout either side of the bridge, IT STILL GETS HIT REGULARLY

A while ago my stepdad was up Scotland somewhere with an O’Reilly International FH and matching trailer (not sure what height they run at) and coming up to a bridge he thought looked tight, doing about walking pace he touched a bar hanging down a few meters before said bridge. Backed it up and turned round to be greeted at the next roundabout by 2 Police cars! It seems the bar was connected to an alarm to warn of an overheight vehicle getting too close.

moomooland:

He had a good go at trying to get this one under at Southport

Obviously thought the might of his V8 would get through, but put the foglights on to be sure! :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
there is a 15’ bridge on the A5 at Hinckley, it has got the infra red sensors that if an over height vehicle passes through, it lights up rather large LED signs saying that you are over height, and turn around, there is a roundabout either side of the bridge, IT STILL GETS HIT REGULARLY

Not saying it would cure it just that it would be handy.

dew:
Obviously thought the might of his V8 would get through, but put the foglights on to be sure! :laughing:

Isn’t that how you deal with low bridges :open_mouth: I’ve been doing it wrong :laughing:

Seany:

kr79:

mazzer:
The majority of strikes are the drivers fault however would help if all bridges were signed in both feet and metres and the measurements were accurate running on the continent can get under every 4metre bridge yet can’t get through Blackwell northbound obviously a Dutch 4 metre is different to an English 4 metre

They lowered the height in the northbound tunnel about a year or so back was 4 meters or 13.4 in feet and inches now 13.0 or what ever that is in metres.
Proper PITA used to go in to the chemical works just before the tunnel quite a bit with a 4 metre trailer then had to go all the way to dartford or wait god knows how long at the ferry to go to barking for the reload

13 feet is 4 metres. Which is what the sign at the tunnel says now 13 feet/4 metres :wink:

From experience you will not get a 4m through the blackwall regardless of what it says tried to go thru there last december didn’t touch any of the metal that is hanging but still set off the alarms had to go up the slip just before the tunnel to be greeted by 3 policemen thet measured the trailer it was 4m was let off with a talkng to about ignoring signs 8 or 9 years ago used to go thru there all the time with a fridge on no bother

I ignore the flashing over height signs simply because I know better.
They must be set at a well over exaggerated height.
I’ve ignored the ones in Farnham 13’9
I’ve ignored the ones from Bicester to Aylesbury (think that’s 15ft off the top of my head)
I’ve ignored the ones on the A5 at Hinckley (I was over a foot under that bugger)
But don’t get me wrong I don’t go thundering through, I just simply know my vehicle that im driving better than anyone else.

I think they are aimed more at the moron type truck driver that just turns the key and leaves a load of destruction in his wake.

Confession time:

I was round Northolt way the other day, missed a sign because I was watching on coming traffic overtaking, so I checked on my trucknav what the sign said, it said 12’3" and i’m 12’1" so I went for it. It was only the flashing sign which said “Overheight Vehicle, Turn Back” which made me double check before I shut down one of the main lines out of London on the train. I then had to pull a 97 point turn to get back out again, and lie to the navibox, saying i was 15’2" before it would agree I couldn’t fit under the bridge.

All it takes is a second, though there should be a warning in some cases. For example the Jag transporter that was on here a couple of weeks ago. There should be a ■■■■■■■ great sign sent out with the load to warn the drivers delivering to that dealer that there is a low bridge. It isn’t always possible with runs like those I am on now, where we rairly go to the same place twice in a month, but where it is semi regular runs, just different drivers, the traffic office must have a duty of care which applies.

Ford in Epsom is another ■■■■■■■■ I did a full load for them, surrounded by 15’ bridges, and they send me out with a 15’2" hire trailer. ANY OTHER (single deck) TRAILER ON THE FLEET WOULD HAVE MADE IT UNDER THE BRIDGE (Norbert single decks are 14’9" or lower.)! I went flippin mental when I got back.

mazzer:

Seany:

kr79:

mazzer:

From experience you will not get a 4m through the blackwall regardless of what it says tried to go thru there last december didn’t touch any of the metal that is hanging but still set off the alarms had to go up the slip just before the tunnel to be greeted by 3 policemen thet measured the trailer it was 4m was let off with a talkng to about ignoring signs 8 or 9 years ago used to go thru there all the time with a fridge on no bother

yes you can, a few years ago, i went through there northbound with a trailer measured at 4.025m, and it didn’t set any alarms off

shuttlespanker:

mazzer:
‘…you will not get a 4m through the blackwall…’

‘…yes you can…’

FIGHT! :wink:

Aye KR79 Edmonton has a few lulus when it comes to low bridges especially one coming down from FT saskatchewan.no forgetting about the.high level bridge…
least said about Regina the better,more than a few to catch out the unwary especially when on LTL work, felt like postman pat more than once in Edmonton.

Talking about bridges (cause i cannae be bothered making a thread). The rail bridge on gartcosh road, in bargeddie that takes you towards frieghtliner/pattersons has never had a height sign on it. Ive seen a Marks and Spencer decker go under it when the M73 was out of action before, your eye tells you it is 16ft+. But a month ago they stuck six signs around the bridge saying 15’6 with no other signs on the approach roads. Go on google street view and you’ll see it with no height signs anywhere!

Somebody explain that! I feel like buying one of those lasers and measuring it cause i want to know, i need to know haha. I reckon its a ■■■■ up.

merc0447:
Talking about bridges (cause i cannae be bothered making a thread). The rail bridge on gartcosh road, in bargeddie that takes you towards frieghtliner/pattersons has never had a height sign on it. Ive seen a Marks and Spencer decker go under it when the M73 was out of action before, your eye tells you it is 16ft+. But a month ago they stuck six signs around the bridge saying 15’6 with no other signs on the approach roads. Go on google street view and you’ll see it with no height signs anywhere!

Somebody explain that! I feel like buying one of those lasers and measuring it cause i want to know, i need to know haha. I reckon its a ■■■■ up.

Is that the one just a few yards away from John McCrory’s yard? I’ve been under that with a decker a few times while taking trailers to A Gray and Sons in Glenboig for repair and never had any problems.

damoq:
Is that the one just a few yards away from John McCrory’s yard? I’ve been under that with a decker a few times while taking trailers to A Gray and Sons in Glenboig for repair and never had any problems.

Thats the one, about a month ago they put up 15’6 signs. I cant explain it :open_mouth:

shuttlespanker:

mazzer:

Seany:

kr79:

mazzer:

yes you can, a few years ago, i went through there northbound with a trailer measured at 4.025m, and it didn’t set any alarms off

Key words here are that you said a few years ago i tried last December and as i said i used to go thru all the time with fridges but the settings have been lowered

I used to shut my eyes going under the bridge between the M8 and Bellshill with a Decker. Horrible bloody bridge!

You can’t blame the driver(s) :laughing: :laughing:

maestegboy:
Why don,t councils put up led sign,s that flash bridge …this would be a start.

you mean like on the A73 near wishaw? i was deliberately taken that way on my Gist assessment last year with a trailer that was the same height as the bridge markers and there is a sensor to let overheight vehicles know that they need to follow the diversion. my trailer didnt set it off but it did the previous day apparently which confused the assessor

YOU are driving so YOU are responsible :exclamation:

scanny77:

maestegboy:
Why don,t councils put up led sign,s that flash bridge …this would be a start.

you mean like on the A73 near wishaw? i was deliberately taken that way on my Gist assessment last year with a trailer that was the same height as the bridge markers and there is a sensor to let overheight vehicles know that they need to follow the diversion. my trailer didnt set it off but it did the previous day apparently which confused the assessor

YOU are driving so YOU are responsible :exclamation:

You also mean like the bridge in Cook St in Glasgow. Its got a big LED sign to warn over height vehicles but it still doesn’t stop trucks and busses ramming it frequent. It got rattled again on monday!

be a man. take the actual size and add 3 inches :laughing: