Low bridges and signage

A trucker I know says they ignore low bridge height signs ‘because they know how tall their truck is and if they can squeeze through just by looking and that height signs aren’t always accurate’

What does everyone else do here ?

Hahaha that’s a good one :smiley:

Here’s the quote from the trucker :

‘Maybe the signage needs to be improved as most signs don’t state the truth anyway, as proved by the fact that only yesterday i took my 14’6 truck under a 14’3 bridge, and earlier in the week i took it under a 14’0 bridge… so whos at fault?’

If the trucker (god forbid) ever did strike a bridge under those circumstances then the wouldn’t be a trucker for much longer. Simples. It’s irresponsible and dangerous.

It amazes me that the local authorities don’t dig out the frequently struck bridges. Must be cheaper to do in the long run. I don’t see in this day and age why any bridge on an A or B road needs to be under 15ft clearance. Most trailers over that are doing the motorways on trunking

What a knob. You’ve got to plan your route!

Granted, once in a blue moon you may through no fault of your own have to chance something but it only happens to me once every year or two.

I reckon you’ll be in the position before too long to come on here an start a post with the words “an EX trucker I know…”

I chicken out of driving under 13’9" bridges with a truck marked 13’9". :blush:

At least I’ve got a clean licence and get cheap insurance though. :grimacing:

OVLOV JAY:
It amazes me that the local authorities don’t dig out the frequently struck bridges. Must be cheaper to do in the long run. I don’t see in this day and age why any bridge on an A or B road needs to be under 15ft clearance. Most trailers over that are doing the motorways on trunking

Hiya ever carried straw…it goes up country lanes. even the farm on the M62 you need to go off the motorway to get to it.
on the digging the road down 2 ft to get some height under the bridge. what about the drains under the road.
the bridges are victorian and so are the services, you’d be shocked to see whats under the road but not very deep.

daveb0789:
Here’s the quote from the trucker :

‘Maybe the signage needs to be improved as most signs don’t state the truth anyway, as proved by the fact that only yesterday i took my 14’6 truck under a 14’3 bridge, and earlier in the week i took it under a 14’0 bridge… so whos at fault?’

If that’s his logic then he’ll come unstuck soon.
A bridge should be marked 3 inches lower to what it actually is but he’s a silly boy if he is plainly ignoring them.

There is one marked 15’6" on the 4127 into Greenford that I can get a 16’ double decker under. The Palletways trunkers will know it well.

Does anyone have any legal info on this because when I’ve asked questions about heights before I get told a load of different things , if a bridge is marked 14"9 does that mean it is the height of the bridge at its maximum point or the safe height of what can pass through ? Might be a daft question but like I say different people , different answers (opinions)

Another problem is most of the low bridges are railway bridges and as such are the responsibility of Network Rail which is answerable to the Office of the Rail Regulator who set the funds available to N.R.
The roads are “General Purpose” roads so anyone can dig it up and lay their services in and no one will talk to anybody else.
As for ignoring the signs? What a prat!

098Joe:
There is one marked 15’6" on the 4127 into Greenford that I can get a 16’ double decker under. The Palletways trunkers will know it well.

Yep, I stay near the kerb on that one going in and toward the middle of the road coming back out.

I’ve been under the arch on the A461 north of Walsall (marked at 14’) with a 14’9" trailer. That’s another one that’s well known locally for being higher than it says.

Has anyone ever come a cropper or nearly at a bridge that is marked up safe for you to go through but the local council have resurfaced the road with an extra couple of inch of Tarmac than what was down before?

It’s all well and good if you can fit an over height trailer under a bridge but, wether you could get done for it is a different matter!
Triangular warning signs on a bridge aren’t so bad, if ya don’t hit it if ya over height not a problem it’s an advisory warning but, go under a bridge marked up with a circular height marker, and you make it through with a trailer that’s higher than the marked up hight, is no different to passing a no entry sign = points and a fine!