Oh not another bridge strike

opps, its got a flashing overheight warning sign both sides.

HOW■■?

Tired, stupid, rushing, incorrect height sign in cab, changed trailers multiple times during day, stressed. Who knows. We ALL make mistakes though. Some you get away with, some we don’t.

It takes an extraordinary amount of bad driving to manage to hit that bridge, no excuses.

ya wanna try multidrop with a double decker then,

Ok, bear with me on this… but I do think the Low Bridge sign is too ‘high up’. Of course, the sign is only a final reminder if all else fails. But if the driver forgot what trailer he had on, and had his sun visor down, he might not even see the bridge? Just a thought.

Hiya i used to do general haulage tramping with a 15 8 trailer. that was hard work routing your self.
i never hit any bridges…you need to be aware…i never thought there was so many low bridges in the
middle of no-ware. some of them not even used.
John

holliefabbabe:

Why, do you need to do that job with your eyes shut? Look at the bridge man, it’s idiots like this that need weeding out of the business. I did double decker work for 13 months, never came near hitting a bridge.

Slackbladder:

holliefabbabe:

Why, do you need to do that job with your eyes shut? Look at the bridge man, it’s idiots like this that need weeding out of the business. I did double decker work for 13 months, never came near hitting a bridge.

you might not of come close to hitting a bridge, but you will of done some stupid stuff in that 13 months, whether it was forgetting to lock the car, burning you tea in the oven, turning up to scrabble club without your board, arranging to meet the lads down the gym after work but forgetting you’d put your mrs’s pants on :blush: if you didn’t do something stupid, then you’re either not human or albion :open_mouth:

stevieboy308:

Slackbladder:

holliefabbabe:

you might not of come close to hitting a bridge, but you will of done some stupid stuff in that 13 months, whether it was forgetting to lock the car, burning you tea in the oven, turning up to scrabble club without your board, arranging to meet the lads down the gym after work but forgetting you’d put your mrs’s pants on :blush: if you didn’t do something stupid, then you’re either not human or albion :open_mouth:

You might be right, especially about the pants, but I did manage to miss all the bridges I went under, something I’m paid to do as its my job.

stevieboy308:

Slackbladder:

holliefabbabe:

Bahahahahahahaha no there is only one Albion1971. Thankfully!

Slackbladder:

stevieboy308:

Slackbladder:

holliefabbabe:

You might be right, especially about the pants, but I did manage to miss all the bridges I went under, something I’m paid to do as its my job.

but people don’t decide to make a mistake or not, so getting paid for something doesn’t make any difference. so have you ever missed a junction on the motorway whilst being paid? took the wrong exit off a roundabout? scratched a unit or trailer? not strapped something correctly and it fell over? forgot to get a signature on the pod? delivered the wrong pellet?

holliefabbabe:

Wot? In London during friday evening rush hour?

Get out of here. There’s no such animal as Double Decker multidrop! :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

I blame “familiarity breeding contempt” for someone used to a particular route to a particular business estate who didn’t bother to go against their autopilot when given an overheight trailer for the day.

Eg. RM into PRDC (Stonebridge Park) when the swan neck DDs go under this bridge on the north circular, and the white breasted 16’2" trailers do not.

Arnos Grove

Approaching Brent Cross from Henly’s corner

…and this one that seems to catch a lot of people out - the only low bridge if you’ve come down the M1 to brent cross, and then attempted to go towards hangar lane wb on the 406…

Even on the correct route into stonebridge park/park royal (below) you don’t want to be in the wrong lane like this, because no bugger will let you over to the left sooner… That underpass ahead is 16’ and the hightops won’t go under there either. :smiling_imp:

truckerjimbo:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/lorry-hits-low-bridge-black-6796336

opps, its got a flashing overheight warning sign both sides.

HOW■■?

That’s the usual DPD agency driver’s bridge of choice :grimacing:

stevieboy308:

Slackbladder:

stevieboy308:

Slackbladder:

holliefabbabe:

but people don’t decide to make a mistake or not, so getting paid for something doesn’t make any difference. so have you ever missed a junction on the motorway whilst being paid? took the wrong exit off a roundabout? scratched a unit or trailer? not strapped something correctly and it fell over? forgot to get a signature on the pod? delivered the wrong pellet?

To answer your questions in order it goes:
Yes, yes, no, no, yes & no. And in all the ones marked yes it didn’t mean the road was shut down, along with the rail network while the bridge is checked out, severe damage to the trailer, the contents, the company’s profile or even the drivers undercrackers.
It’s the drivers responsibility to know his trailer ht, if not then check before leaving site.
When approaching a bridge with a smaller ht, in this case aided by a big flashing light & a massive sign, at least, the very least, expected would be to stop & check first.
You’re correct, everyone makes mistakes, but are you saying you would have given it a go if you were faced with that bridge? In that vehicle? With that trailer?

Cosmic:
Ok, bear with me on this… but I do think the Low Bridge sign is too ‘high up’. Of course, the sign is only a final reminder if all else fails. But if the driver forgot what trailer he had on, and had his sun visor down, he might not even see the bridge? Just a thought.

As I go under this bridge most days. The bridge is in a dip so when you approach the bridge the GREAT BIG low bridge sign is at eye level.

There are flasing overheight signs aswell.

Maybe just maybe the driver could not understand english■■?

1500-2000 per year…

Seen a few of these posts on here, and got me wondering…is it about time that maybe they should limit the height of all trailers to 4 metres? (Mainly for double stackers, and trunk work)I might be wrong and just being stupid as still a newbie, but it might save a hell of a lot of bridge strikes!
And yes, i have approached a low bridge with not paying attention to the road signs, cue the stopped traffic, a ■■■■■ of a reverse, Mr Plod wagging his finger and another lesson learnt!

lichfieldmercury.co.uk/pictu … tures.html

truckerjimbo:
As I go under this bridge most days. The bridge is in a dip so when you approach the bridge the GREAT BIG low bridge sign is at eye level.

It’s also well signposted from every direction too. I have friends nearby and drink in the pub next to the bridge occasionally. Seen all sorts going on. Saw quite a few u-turns in the middle of the road and even saw a double decker wedged under there once.

Out of all the bridges that get hit often I really fail to see how any driver can hit this one in broad day light.

stevieboy308:

I have made all the mistakes that you mention but have never hit a bridge.
In fact, as I would guess many other real drivers on here do, even notice low bridge signs when driving my car because it’s in me as a “driver”
He may have been a new inexperienced driver that has just learned a lesson the hard way.
It all comes down to the same thing (that I have maybe bored the arses off a lot on here in other posts :blush: :smiley: , but nevertheless true)… it’s the difference between the professional driver that displays professionalism, and a dickwhit with a licence that thinks he’s a driver, calls himself a driver, but in reality will NEVER be a driver in the true sense of the word. These guys are among us down to the effects and results of the job being dumbed down over the years, maybe the test should be harder instead of the mass production line of churning out guys that have learned to master a test route rather than learn to DRIVE.
A golden opportunity was the DCPC to sort out this problem. but they went for a farcical non qualification revenue raise option instead.