BRIDGE STRIKES.

206doorman:
It’s driver inattention,period.

I constantly come across lower-than-me bridge signs,and I constantly divert.

What’s the problem? DRIVERS!!!

Revoke these bridge-striker licences.

This^^^^^^^^^

Why is it that a ruddy so called driver cannot see that the vehicle he/she is driving
Will not fit under a bridge. Pathetic drivers, that’s all.

kr79:
This is what makes me laugh on this forum in one breath you have people saying we are treated like idiots and with no respect then you get people saying we should have help with low bridges.
Yes [zb] happens I’ve dropped clangers over the years as I’m sure we all have. But do most of us need treating like five year olds all the time.
I know the likes of tesco give planed routes with double deckers what more can they do.
I asked a question on here a while back is lorrys hitting bridges and getting stuck in places worse than in the past or is it the fact we nealy all have camera phones and with social media a picture taken of a stuck lorry now can be on here and Facebook and local news sites within minutes

So you driving round the city centre in your truck,manual gearbox,trying to take in all the different signs etc,avoid all the obstacles,pedestrians,cars etc whilst also trying to read your tesco map :exclamation: :exclamation: did that say 3 rd turning,was that 4 th exit off the r/o,let me look again,whoa that was close nearly hit him,must concentrate on the road,chucks map down,■■■■ I’m now in the wrong lane to turn left :exclamation: :exclamation: ,sounds easy doesn’t it,should be able to find a tesco store every time with a tesco map :exclamation:
They also only tell you how to get to store 1 off of a motorway,a road which is easy enough,then store 2,s directions come off of motorway,a road,they don’t tell you how to get from store 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc,etc unless your going to keep driving back to m 62,m1,etc,in my experience of using tesco maps you might as well bin them after the first store,and find your own way,some good last bit,where to park etc,but not a jot of good getting across a city from store 5-6

greggy:

206doorman:
It’s driver inattention,period.

I constantly come across lower-than-me bridge signs,and I constantly divert.

What’s the problem? DRIVERS!!!

Revoke these bridge-striker licences.

This^^^^^^^^^

Why is it that a ruddy so called driver cannot see that the vehicle he/she is driving
Will not fit under a bridge. Pathetic drivers, that’s all.

Have ever made a mistake?

dozy:

kr79:
This is what makes me laugh on this forum in one breath you have people saying we are treated like idiots and with no respect then you get people saying we should have help with low bridges.
Yes [zb] happens I’ve dropped clangers over the years as I’m sure we all have. But do most of us need treating like five year olds all the time.
I know the likes of tesco give planed routes with double deckers what more can they do.
I asked a question on here a while back is lorrys hitting bridges and getting stuck in places worse than in the past or is it the fact we nealy all have camera phones and with social media a picture taken of a stuck lorry now can be on here and Facebook and local news sites within minutes

So you driving round the city centre in your truck,manual gearbox,trying to take in all the different signs etc,avoid all the obstacles,pedestrians,cars etc whilst also trying to read your tesco map :exclamation: :exclamation: did that say 3 rd turning,was that 4 th exit off the r/o,let me look again,whoa that was close nearly hit him,must concentrate on the road,chucks map down,[zb] I’m now in the wrong lane to turn left :exclamation: :exclamation: ,sounds easy doesn’t it,should be able to find a tesco store every time with a tesco map :exclamation:
They also only tell you how to get to store 1 off of a motorway,a road which is easy enough,then store 2,s directions come off of motorway,a road,they don’t tell you how to get from store 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc,etc unless your going to keep driving back to m 62,m1,etc,in my experience of using tesco maps you might as well bin them after the first store,and find your own way,some good last bit,where to park etc,but not a jot of good getting across a city from store 5-6

I’ve never worked for tesco but had been told they issued maps.
I drove an Artic with a 15.6 trailer round London got years sling with roll on offs with 40 and 50 yard bins and managed not to hit any bridges by using an a-z and the mark 1 eyeball.
At the end of the day you can’t blame someone in the office if you hit a bridge your the one behind the wheel.

206doorman:

speedyguy:
Do you mind not blaming the drivers please :unamused:,

Golly gosh…what was I thinking? Awfully sorry old chap :open_mouth:

Reminds me: London somewhere, in search of an address, found myself at a T junction, left was a 6ft6
restriction,right was a 12ft6 bridge,both visible! Had to reverse 700yds back past cars both sides with
a couple of inches clearence…Fairly sure signs were missing! :blush:

That’s the difference if the signs are missing, you have a ‘possible’ getout ?

Also if you’re signs are missing why didn’t YOU report it to the local council and get a reference

you should know the height of tralor before setting off bridge strikes are driver errors

There must be something on the market that could be used,to aviod BRIDGE STRIKES…if it cost 10 grand that,s money well spent . :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Our roads need investment,with all the eu lot coming here there,s gonna be a hell of number of strikes more, hitting our economy for six. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The roads seem to be getting less and less money spent on them :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

maestegboy:
‘…Why don’t councils put up led signs that flash bridge …’

Maybe because:

1 It’s arguably unreasonable to absolve a driver any more than the provision of existing road-furniture should a lapse in his professional integrity occur :frowning:

2 Insurance pays out for damage caused and jobs rely on fixing it :blush:

3 It would need to expensively conform to foreign inspired diktats & legislation :imp:

4 Equipment could break and would be expensive to fix with nationally tight budgets to maintain, because :exclamation:

5 LibLabCon MP’s illustrate their contempt for such larks by not assisting the British have improved working lives when working in Britain, and finally :open_mouth:

6 The UK can’t afford it: Mainly because it’s too busy funding, eg, railways in Belgrade with the UK’s £53 million per day, compulsory subscription squeezed from UK taxes to fund the EU :sunglasses:

Sorted :question:

maestegboy:
There must be something on the market that could be used,to aviod BRIDGE STRIKES…if it cost 10 grand that,s money well spent . :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Our roads need investment,with all the eu lot coming here there,s gonna be a hell of number of strikes more, hitting our economy for six. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It won’t be a problem in a few years, the driverless lorry will be with us one day and those who couldn’t do the job anyway will no longer be leaving a trail of destruction in their wake.

youtube.com/watch?feature=en … TiRLc&NR=1

Its not just us then.

maestegboy:
Why is it always the driver who always gets it,transport managers , local councils , driver agency,s and,company,s all have responsibilities to ensure our safety . Just a simple few safety checks could avoid bridge strikes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

In this day and age there must be a few simple safety devices out there to stop this happening…sensor,s lights ,signs,bridge marked on the road .yet it,s been happening for years with no real progress. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Why don,t councils put up led sign,s that flash bridge …this would be a start.

Because it’s the drivers fault :exclamation: It doesn’t matter what anyone else told you to do,you should know the height of your vehicle and the height of the bridge, there is no excuse for hitting the bridge apart from total neglegence.

dozy:
So you driving round the city centre in your truck,manual gearbox,trying to take in all the different signs etc,avoid all the obstacles,pedestrians,cars etc whilst also trying to read your tesco map :exclamation: :exclamation: did that say 3 rd turning,was that 4 th exit off the r/o,let me look again,whoa that was close nearly hit him,must concentrate on the road,chucks map down,[zb] I’m now in the wrong lane to turn left :exclamation: :exclamation: ,sounds easy doesn’t it,should be able to find a tesco store every time with a tesco map :exclamation:

Is this not the job of lorry driving you’re describing ■■ Must be murder for anyone on general multidrop eh ■■ All that without maps for every drop :unamused:

I forgot to put my satnav in my new old truck this week no 3g on my phone up here 7collections and 5 deliverys round Calgary Edmonton Saskatoon Regina and Brandon with an a-z on my lap driving round was great fun managed it without any disasters too

The majority of strikes are the drivers fault however would help if all bridges were signed in both feet and metres and the measurements were accurate running on the continent can get under every 4metre bridge yet can’t get through Blackwell northbound obviously a Dutch 4 metre is different to an English 4 metre

If all low bridges had a ‘turn round now’ sign at the last turning place or where possible the road made wide enough to swing a truck round before the bridge it would make life a lot easier as sometimes your past the first sign and can’t find anywhere to turn and then have to back up.

When did stanavs come into use ? How do you think drivers got on without them ?
Use maps and read the warning signs, you have an advantage in the UK, any bridge under 16’6" must have a warning sign and usually there is a warning sign at the only available turn off point before the road to that bridge, over here the warning sign comes at the bridge or about 2 miles down the road with no way to turn a 70’ truck around.
If you need a satnav to drive give up and get a shop assistants job.

mazzer:
The majority of strikes are the drivers fault however would help if all bridges were signed in both feet and metres and the measurements were accurate running on the continent can get under every 4metre bridge yet can’t get through Blackwell northbound obviously a Dutch 4 metre is different to an English 4 metre

They lowered the height in the northbound tunnel about a year or so back was 4 meters or 13.4 in feet and inches now 13.0 or what ever that is in metres.
I suppose to make more revenue at dartford.
Proper PITA used to go in to the chemical works just before the tunnel quite a bit with a 4 metre trailer then had to go all the way to dartford or wait god knows how long at the ferry to go to barking for the reload

maestegboy:
Why is it always the driver who always gets it,transport managers , local councils , driver agency,s and,company,s all have responsibilities to ensure our safety . Just a simple few safety checks could avoid bridge strikes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

In this day and age there must be a few simple safety devices out there to stop this happening…sensor,s lights ,signs,bridge marked on the road .yet it,s been happening for years with no real progress. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Why don,t councils put up led sign,s that flash bridge …this would be a start.

10-08:
If all low bridges had a ‘turn round now’ sign at the last turning place or where possible the road made wide enough to swing a truck round before the bridge it would make life a lot easier as sometimes your past the first sign and can’t find anywhere to turn and then have to back up.

there is a 15’ bridge on the A5 at Hinckley, it has got the infra red sensors that if an over height vehicle passes through, it lights up rather large LED signs saying that you are over height, and turn around, there is a roundabout either side of the bridge, IT STILL GETS HIT REGULARLY

That’s quite high to be hit regular Rob. I’m guessing a fair few double dockers round your way with not been a million miles from a lot of the pallet network hubs

not just DD’s Kev, there are plenty of normal trailers running at over 15’ that hit it

there has been Argos trailers from Magna Park, there was a Bill Chippington haulage trailer loaded with reels of paper the other month, made a mess of the trailer, and left some reels at the side of the road

never seen a double decker hit it yet though :open_mouth:

the thing is, there are quite a few industrial estates either side of the bridge