Brexit , borders and lorries

This is not looking good.

Support for Brexit is collapsing as poll finds big majority of British people want to be in the EU

A newly released survey found just 35% of British people supporting Brexit, with 57% wanting to rejoin the European Union.

The nearly 60% of people who told the European Social Survey that they wanted Britain to be in the EU was far greater than the 48% who backed Remain in 2016.

Support for EU membership has risen across Europe, the survey said.

There has been a surge in support for European Union membership among the British public since the Brexit referendum, a major new survey found.

The European Social Survey, conducted every two years, found that support for the EU had risen across the continent and in Britain.

The survey, completed in 2019 and released this week, found that 57% of Brits said they would vote to be inside the EU, compared with 50% who said the same in the previous survey, released in 2018.

By contrast, just 35% said they would vote to be outside the EU, compared with the 52% of people who voted to leave in 2016. Eight percent of Brits said they would not vote in such a referendum.

The findings have been released four years after Britain voted to leave, as the country faces an increasingly gloomy economic outlook amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The UK is in the Brexit transition period, which means it maintains the same trade and customs rules it had before leaving the EU.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government has insisted that the UK would exit this transition period at the end of 2020, regardless of whether new trading arrangements are negotiated with the EU within that time.

Rejoining the EU remains a distant prospect for the UK, with neither Johnson’s government nor the opposition Labour Party calling for the country to rejoin.

The survey also found support for EU membership had increased across the continent, despite some predictions that Brexit would trigger a wave of opposition to the union in other European countries. All the countries surveyed saw support for EU membership rise.

There was a 12% rise in support for EU membership in Finland and an 11% support for membership in the Czech Republic. In Britain support for membership has risen by 7% since the previous survey in 2017.

businessinsider.com/brexit- … ?r=US&IR=T

The Brexit referendum was largely based on
£350million for the NHS.
Easy trade negotiations and a better deal with the EU.
Taking control of borders.
Democratic control.

The £350m was then, and remains now, a lie.
The trade talks look like the farce some predicted, and could easily end in “No Deal”.
“Controlling Borders” didnt and doesnt mean an end to immigration.
We have Johnson appointing an unelected Minister in Nicki Morgan, and ipso facto cabinet boss Dominic ■■■■■■■■■
Disillusioned voters? Changes of mind?
Opening of eyes, maybe.

Remainers wishful thinking perhaps? Yeah, I’ll go with that. Can’t make a decent wine from sour grapes apparently.

the maoster:
Remainers wishful thinking perhaps? Yeah, I’ll go with that. Can’t make a decent wine from sour grapes apparently.

Wishful thinking?
Ah, that`ll be the £350m, the easy trade talks, the stop to immigration, and a more democratic system then. :smiley:

Nobody knows with any certainty how this will all pan out. It’s the first time we’ve come across this situation so that means by its very nature there are no “experts” merely educated guesses. Will we prosper, fail or just muddle along? I have no idea tbh (nobody else has either). I know that we as a nation will not simply cease to exist, barring pestilence, plague or global catastrophe we’ll be here for another millennia.

I just get a warm fuzzy feeling laughing at teeth gnashers, hand wringers and professional pessimists tbh. :smiley:

the maoster:
Nobody knows with any certainty how this will all pan out. It’s the first time we’ve come across this situation so that means by its very nature there are no “experts” merely educated guesses. Will we prosper, fail or just muddle along? I have no idea tbh (nobody else has either). I know that we as a nation will not simply cease to exist, barring pestilence, plague or global catastrophe we’ll be here for another millennia.

I just get a warm fuzzy feeling laughing at teeth gnashers, hand wringers and professional pessimists tbh. :smiley:

No certain outcomes for sure.
Same with medicine, isnt it? You can take advice from the guy in the pub, or a qualified Medical Doctor: neither is guaranteed correct, but I reckon one is more likely than tother to be right.
So we can listen to Prof Minford from Cardiff who reckons Brexit is a good thing? Rees-Mogg (the well known fighter for workers rights) thinks he is worth a listen. Michael Gove, who thinks we shouldnt listen to experts, makes an exception for him.
Or, we can listen to the 175 other professional economists and professors from LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, and dozen economic Nobel Laureats who reckon its a bad idea? And without wishing to influence who anyone would choose to listen to, it IS the same Minford who thought the poll tax was a good idea, supported Thatchers economic policies, and thinks that Brexit would eliminate manufacturing in the UK*.
You`re quite right, the future is not guaranteed.

*not a misprint. Brexit could lead to elimination of manufacturing in the UK, and devastate farming, but it is still a good idea!

the maoster:
I just get a warm fuzzy feeling laughing at teeth gnashers, hand wringers and professional pessimists tbh.

Schadenfreude?
“That says far more about you than me I reckon.”
(New Business Model thread.)

the maoster:
I know that we as a nation will not simply cease to exist, barring pestilence, plague or global catastrophe we’ll be here for another millennia.

Yes officer…

That post right there.

It should be posted as the standard reply from the mods at the start of any Euro/Barmyer/Boris/World Trade Agreement/Brexit/Who the ■■■■ was Jeremy Corbyn anyway/Trump dribbles in public thread.

The thread should then be locked.

yourhavingalarf:

the maoster:
I know that we as a nation will not simply cease to exist, barring pestilence, plague or global catastrophe we’ll be here for another millennia.

Yes officer…

That post right there.

It should be posted as the standard reply from the mods at the start of any Euro/Barmyer/Boris/World Trade Agreement/Brexit/Who the [zb] was Jeremy Corbyn anyway/Trump dribbles in public thread.

“Another millenia”?
The UK has only existed in it`s present form for about 99 years. Why would it exist for a millennia?

yourhavingalarf:

the maoster:

Yes officer…

That post right there.

It should be posted as the standard reply from the mods at the start of any Euro/Barmyer/Boris/World Trade Agreement/Brexit/Who the [zb] was Jeremy Corbyn anyway/Trump dribbles in public thread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the country may remaim in 100 years from now but the indigenous population will not as with white genocide unhindered then its only a matter of time before were all bred out of existence.
no doubt before then the muslim rulers of the uk will decide to change its name so something more fitting to the majority of the populace.

Franglais:

the maoster:
I just get a warm fuzzy feeling laughing at teeth gnashers, hand wringers and professional pessimists tbh.

Schadenfreude?

You are certainly correct that my attitude speaks volumes about me. It says that I’m not the type to get all twisted out of shape over stuff that I cannot change, it also says that generally I’m a happier person with life than you are.

You could argue that my stance is one of ignorance is bliss and I’d concede that you are certainly correct in that assumption. Like you I have been around the block a few times but unlike you I prefer to live in the moment and stoically accept that sizzle happens that is completely out of my control so therefore I don’t tend to worry about it. As the poet once said “one life, live it”.

I’ll not be defined by my fear.

the maoster:

Franglais:

the maoster:

Schadenfreude?

You are certainly correct that my attitude speaks volumes about me. It says that I’m not the type to get all twisted out of shape over stuff that I cannot change, it also says that generally I’m a happier person with life than you are.

You could argue that my stance is one of ignorance is bliss and I’d concede that you are certainly correct in that assumption. Like you I have been around the block a few times but unlike you I prefer to live in the moment and stoically accept that sizzle happens that is completely out of my control so therefore I don’t tend to worry about it. As the poet once said “one life, live it”.

I’ll not be defined by my fear.

So many assumptions!
:smiley:

dieseldog999:

yourhavingalarf:

the maoster:

Yes officer…

That post right there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the country may remaim in 100 years from now but the indigenous population will not as with white genocide unhindered then its only a matter of time before were all bred out of existence.
no doubt before then the muslim rulers of the uk will decide to change its name so something more fitting to the majority of the populace.

“The indigenous population”?
Il bet youre one of those Homo Sapiens who drove out the original Homo Neanderthalis?
Hippocrite! You`re probably descended from the immgrants guilty of the genocide of the original native British.

A bit of culture?
youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2RVgLQV-A

Brexiteers don’t like keeping their promises, do they?

dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ … -hold.html

hkloss1:

I wasn’t aware that Brexiteers owned this firm, or got to make policy for it? :unamused:

Winseer:

hkloss1:

I wasn’t aware that Brexiteers owned this firm, or got to make policy for it? :unamused:

let me help you with that. Obviously you hadn’t read the article before deciding to comment:

Petrochemicals firm Ineos, which is owned by the pro-Brexit billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe - named the fifth richest man in Britain by the Sunday Times this year - said last autumn that the 4X4 would come with a ‘Made in Britain stamp’ as it would be produced at a new ‘state-of-the-art’ factory in South Wales.

hkloss1:

Winseer:

hkloss1:

let me help you with that. Obviously you hadn’t read the article before deciding to comment:

Petrochemicals firm Ineos, which is owned by the pro-Brexit billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe - named the fifth richest man in Britain by the Sunday Times this year - said last autumn that the 4X4 would come with a ‘Made in Britain stamp’ as it would be produced at a new ‘state-of-the-art’ factory in South Wales.

Let’s put it another way…

Those people who insist on buying over-priced 4x4s and/or overpriced German but made in Britain cars like the Mini - did they vote Brexit - or didn’t they?

I always thought Brexit was about those people somehow feeling “left behind”, since the Remainers always seemed to be those people that beforehand “were doing alright out of Britain being in the EU, thanks very much”.

We voted to make that set of people rather poorer with our what-we-thought was a “Protest Vote” at the time…
I know I did. :neutral_face:

For those who like the long read unfiltered without the jingoistic bull chit, check this link out: dhttps://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/629/pdf/
direct from Mr Barnier to our Ladies and Lords.
Tells you exactly what we are looking at on the 1st January.
Enjoy…

I just clicked that link, and got a blank white page.

I reckon that about sums it up for our entire parliament from the very beginning, Pro or Anti Brexit - they couldn’t really be arsed to pull their fingers out, until they thought there was a running issue on being re-elected for opposing/supporting Brexit.

Note how many MPs stated that they have been categoriacally NEUTRAL with regards to Brexit from the start…
NONE as far as I am aware!

They were all lickcock jockeys for the anticipated corner on the 48% or 52% - from the very beginning!

I’m a bit worried about Sunak though, as the way we are going at present, come January 1st - we might yet be told "Sorry bud, the money has run dry, now that we are on ■■■■-poor terms with our main lender - CHINA.
This means Brexit - cannot be afforded, and we’ve relucantly gone to the ECB for a bailout, which they’ll only grant IF we drop Brexit AFTER all.

Now Sunak has gone on a spending spree - he’s got to keep that ball in the end until well into 2021 now.
The economy doesn’t fully recover until both the lockdown is over, China have been duly punished, and Brexit is completed.

That CAN all be done with an act of political willpower BUT will this government be willing to bypass the center ground, swinging hard Left in making the Tories a “Tax and Spend” government that we Brits have conisistenly rejected Labour for being at the polls - time and time again. What happens if Boris and Sunak decide to “Give the country to Labour” by coming up with some lame Churchillian speech along the lines of “I can only offer you blood, sweat, toil and tears” which might have been the catalyst for Labour trouncing the 1945 general election…?

Winseer:
I just clicked that link, and got a blank white page.

Don’t be lazy, type the link into your search engine… Job done.