Bowkers transport

peggydeckboy:
Thanks for that Chris 62 i had no idea… when i was there it was Phillips from Durham To MILAN 0R FRANCE really good work ,ship Tessport=,Zeebruge … yes they had some realy good work.people say would you do it all again 90% i would not, but i would do all the time i was at WHBowkers…dbp.

We can’t have been all bad in the office at Bamber Bridge, then?!

09758.jpg

robert1952:

In general terms, F7s weren’t the weapon of choice for running abroad, but one or two used to stray across the water from time-to-time.

This is one of the later 38 tonne versions.

Bowker 140 - Volvo FL10 Draw-bar - (R235VFR):

TROOPER 8011:

That was a U.K. groupage motor - photo taken at the BCVM?

I saw it in North Lincs., many years later, with a cattle body on it

240 Gardner:

TROOPER 8011:

Yes. Taken in the car park at the BCVM.
Vehicle may have been driven there by your good self ?

TROOPER 8011:

240 Gardner:

TROOPER 8011:

Yes. Taken in the car park at the BCVM.
Vehicle may have been driven there by your good self ?

No it wasn’t me - I had my hands full with Atkinsons, a Thornycroft and a Leyland, plus participation in organising the event

toureg123:
Just fetched a bowkers F10 d-bar she drove like new and for a 19 year old truck she was a credit to their fitters and drivers ,has anybody got photos of it in action ■■ or did any of you drive it.

Hi guys. Sorry to intrude on your thread but i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me please?
I build 1/24th scale models of trucks and I’m hoping that one of my next projects will be a Volvo Eurotrotter as in the above photos.

Would anyone happen to have any technical information about it such as wheelbase, overall length, body dimensions etc. as I really want to get my model as accurate as I can.
Any photos of the chassis and or interior would be welcome too.

Many thanks.
Neil

There a real “Eurottrotter” 6x2, the Bowker were modified by Estepe in Netherlands .

An other “Eurotrotter” which was on the line France-Sweden.

michel:
There a real “Eurottrotter” 6x2, the Bowker were modified by Estepe in Netherlands .

The Estepe conversions were done part way through their lives, and they were operated as built at first. However, they were built to meet the requirements of the Philips Concept (who remembers that??) and so were actually shorter and lower than the standard Eurotrotter. Bowker ordered 10 but cancelled 2, and I understand that a total of only 12 was built by Volvo.

Because of the special build, the 8 were accompanied by a complete, trimmed spare cab on the basis that a replacement cab could not be supplied during their lives. In the event it lay around the back of the garage, and was still there after all the Eurotrotters were sold. The exception was 118, which was retained as a shunter for the bodies.

Here is 118 in its original form at the 1989 Scottish Motor Show, and you can clearly see how short it is compared with the standard Eurotrotter by looking at the panel behind the door:
G124 DKA Volvo F10 Eurotrotter by 240 Gardner, on Flickr

NeilC69:

toureg123:
Just fetched a bowkers F10 d-bar she drove like new and for a 19 year old truck she was a credit to their fitters and drivers ,has anybody got photos of it in action ■■ or did any of you drive it.

Hi guys. Sorry to intrude on your thread but i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me please?
I build 1/24th scale models of trucks and I’m hoping that one of my next projects will be a Volvo Eurotrotter as in the above photos.

Would anyone happen to have any technical information about it such as wheelbase, overall length, body dimensions etc. as I really want to get my model as accurate as I can.
Any photos of the chassis and or interior would be welcome too.

Many thanks.
Neil

I don’t have a copy, as I left it behind in the company archives when I left Bowker, but Volvo actually produced a colour brochure for the Philips Concept version of the Eurotrotter, and featuring Bowker 114 (G612 CHF). If you could find a copy of that, all the data is there. When you’re building your model, don’t forget that the cab is shorter than a standard Eurotrotter! :wink:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I actually have a 1/24th scale Eurotrotter cab but it was when I was searching for inspiration to build it that I came across the Bowker ones.
I wanted to keep it as a UK truck and, as the Bowker one is “different”, that took my eye.
I have sent e-mails to both Bowker and Volvo but without any success.
I shall have to look for one of those brochures now…!!

Thanks again.

NeilC69:

I actually have a 1/24th scale Eurotrotter cab but it was when I was searching for inspiration to build it that I came across the Bowker ones.
I wanted to keep it as a UK truck and, as the Bowker one is “different”, that took my eye.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the Technical Director of Bowker, Geoff Whittle, died suddenly a couple of years ago. He would have had full drawings of the Eurotrotters, as he was involved with the design, but I don’t know if they will have survived wit the various changes of personnel since. Geoff had a proper drawing board in his office and there were drawers full of his drawings (so to speak)

240 Gardner:

NeilC69:

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the Technical Director of Bowker, Geoff Whittle, died suddenly a couple of years ago. He would have had full drawings of the Eurotrotters, as he was involved with the design, but I don’t know if they will have survived wit the various changes of personnel since. Geoff had a proper drawing board in his office and there were drawers full of his drawings (so to speak)

I did get a reply for a guy called Alan Partington who sent me a couple of “general” photos of the truck (Ones that I had already found on the internet…!!) and said that he would pass my e-mail on to the Fleet Engineer and Transport Manager in the hope that they could answer my questions.
That was back in January and I’ve heard nothing since.
I can only assume that they know nothing about the trucks/drawings.

Ah well, I’ll just have to shelve that idea until I find one of those brochures that you mentioned.
Thanks again.

NeilC69:

240 Gardner:

NeilC69:

Thanks again.

I did get a reply for a guy called Alan Partington who sent me a couple of “general” photos of the truck (Ones that I had already found on the internet…!!) and said that he would pass my e-mail on to the Fleet Engineer and Transport Manager in the hope that they could answer my questions.
That was back in January and I’ve heard nothing since.
I can only assume that they know nothing about the trucks/drawings.

Ah well, I’ll just have to shelve that idea until I find one of those brochures that you mentioned.
Thanks again.

Alan was the DGSA, a very good guy but not a lorry man. The photos you’ve seen on the 'net were probably ones I posed to start with!

Hi Mate,
I think i may have some pics but i did not take the photo’s so i can not put them on here :frowning: but i will try .Where was you picking that truck up from and where was you taking it too? i hope it was not going for export because that would be a shame as there can’t be many of them PHILIPS Eurotrotters left.Have they owned that from new and do they still own it? I hope you can answer some of my questions.Paul

Hi Paul, pick it up in N/West ,in my yard now midlands , if it would sell complete it would be nice !!!, have sold some drawbars on merc chassis to M/E but they dont like low profile, she might have to face the cutting gun for parts!!! would be a shame .