Berkshire Companies

howlingmad:
34any one remember these as I found this in a barn

I showed these pictures to one of the brothers that owned them along with their mother, the father had a few TK’s in Lebus until he passed, in about 75.

The son who used to drive this is now a shunter in Bracknell.

I used to do a bit for them now and again, in the 80’s and early 90’s until I moved away from Reading.

One brother is retired living in the Peak District, the other of the 3 brothers works where this unit was parked up.

Thatcham Road Transport (T .R.T.S)

Not mentioned on this thread as far as i can see, going back to early 50s there used to be a Bedford ex wd QL an unusual sort of haulage choice even for those days , and seen working around the Didcot Ordnance depot area in navy blue colours. What size company were they etc .
A bit of an head scratcher for you Berkshire lads i would think ,all i know is they were based Newbury near a paper mill --■■? toshboy

toshboy:

Not mentioned on this thread as far as i can see, going back to early 50s there used to be a Bedford ex wd QL an unusual sort of haulage choice even for those days , and seen working around the Didcot Ordnance depot area in navy blue colours. What size company were they etc .
A bit of an head scratcher for you Berkshire lads i would think ,all i know is they were based Newbury near a paper mill --■■? toshboy

Well before my time by the sound of it, however I assume the mill would be Colthrop, near Thatcham, home of the Cropper and Colthrop Transport co. Ltd who I do remember with their blue Commer’s. They finished in 1971. This link: archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … board-mill provides all the information you need, it also mentions T.R.T.s as well

Pete.

windrush:

toshboy:

Well before my time by the sound of it, however I assume the mill would be Colthrop, near Thatcham, home of the Cropper and Colthrop Transport co. Ltd who I do remember with their blue Commer’s. They finished in 1971. This link: archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … board-mill provides all the information you need, it also mentions T.R.T.s as well

Pete.

Hi Windrush , Thanks for that fast reply and the link-very informative , well thats me soon sorted ! … toshboy

windrush:

toshboy:

Pete.

Hi Pete , Thanks for that fast and informative link —thats me sorted ------toshboy

windrush:
Yes I remember them, but from before the time of that Scania! They ran Bedford TK’s and were based on Reading Road at Winnersh. The TK’s had chrome coach wheel trims fitted if I remember correctly.

Pete.

I showed these pictures to Ian, one of the Son’s, he Drove this from New, before this they had a TM from A C Barnes, and Several TK’s with the Bedford 500 in them.

They packed up a few years ago, one brother Retiring to Derbyshire, Ian and Richard are both still working, these pictures are in a yard Richard works out of.

Hello everybody. I was just wondering if anybody remembers any of these old companies from around the Berkshire area fom the 1950, 60 ,70, 80, 90`s.

M. C. Pierce Ltd. This firm was based in Willoughby Rd Bracknell which is around the back of Waitrose Distrubution Centre. They were a Plant Hire firm that ran a nice fleet of V8 Dodges tippers that stood out because they had dump truck bodies on. They also ran a Leyland Hippo (Ergomatic Cab) Low Loader that my dad used to drive. My first memories of going with the old man are in this truck as he delivered Cat & Euclid scrapers nationwide in a time when the motorways were being built. These lorries were painted bright yellow.

A & J Lovejoy Ltd. This firm was started by my dad John and his brother Alan and was based at Easthamstead which is between Bracknell and Wokingham. They had two Albion tippers, one AEC flat and a Bedford KM flat. Most of there work at the time was out of Lignasite in Bracknell loading concrete blocks, all handball on and handball off!!! I think this was about the time i had to start earning my breakfast. These lorries were painted tippers green, flats blue.

Harry. A. Coff Ltd. This firm was one of the biggest independant gravel extraction companies a few years back. They were based in Ascot where the workshop was but most wagons were based in Colemansmoor Rd in Woodley where the gravel pit was. I still remember watching the Dragline loading the lorries with “as dug” ballast, imagine Mr health & safety watching that now hed fall on his clipboard and break a nail!! Coff ran a big fleet of tippers, mixers, skips and roll on/offs and they also bought out Buxton Limestone noticeable only by the Coff Group stickers on the doors. These lorries where painted tippers green, mixers red, waste trucks blue.

Hunter & Parr Ltd. This firm was based in Forest Rd Wokingham and shared the yard with Kirby`s/ Berry Bins who used to munch up waste food such as bread from Parslows in Woodley and chocolate from Mars in Slough and produce animal feed which was then delivered on Hunter & Parr flats. They ran a mixed fleet of Volvo, AEC, Atkinson and were one of the first in the area to use Fiat tractor units. These lorries were painted cream and red.

There are four to start. There are loads more like Meakins Transport, M & T Haulage, Beenham Haulage, Moodies Transport, Grundon, Alan Hadley, John Staceys, Sayers Transport just to name a few.

Do any ring any bells with anyone? Once i work out how to put up some photo`s i will if anybody is interested.

All the best

Boyze.

[/img]
Leyland Hippo 1971

Albions parked in yard.

Boyze:
Hello everybody. I was just wondering if anybody remembers any of these old companies from around the Berkshire area fom the 1950, 60 ,70, 80, 90`s.
Boyze.

how about Palmer’s Transport of Ecchinswell, near Newbury?

I do remember them but i cant remember what lorries they had.. Seem to remember Austin Artics coming from over that way, did`nt they share a yard with a fuel company??
When you turn off the A339 by what used to be Greenham Common and run down into Ecchinswell was there yard on the right or am i thinking of someone else??
Also remember some tippers running out of Headley just down the road but cant remember the company name.

Great pics Boyze. I spent most of my childhood in various Ergo cabbed Leylands myself. Happy days.

what ermaston

Dai.
I remember Russel Brooker. He moved to Spain and him and his Missis Margret are still running wagons back to the UK. I still ring Margret now if i need a load of tiles back from Castellon Spain. He used to do a bit for C & B Haulage when he was`nt doing european and used to pull the odd Brewery trailer for Dave Meakin in his Aldermarston days.

Mark R.
I loved the Ergo cabbed wagons right up till the time my dad pulled outside the house in a sparkling F88!!! That did it for me and i`ve ended up around lorries all my life…

Hi anyone remember Billy Judd I think he was from Three Mile Cross, did round timber & Middle East,had a driver called John Cadman and John’s son worked for Brant’s of Tadley. ran Volvo’s in the 70’s

Not sure about Billy Judd himself but did`nt he have an F12 and used to park it outside of what was the old chicken farm along with Martin Wickens who had two artic tippers? The old chicken farm is now Pulleyn Transport yard in Church Lane Three Mile Cross.
I remember old Dennis Brant from Tadley, his yard was on White House Farm on the Silchester Rd where John Staceys are now. The first time saw Dennis was when i was on a blade in Summerleaze gravel pit Woodley and he drove up the tip in a Mercedes car looking for his drivers!!!

Boyze:
I do remember them but i cant remember what lorries they had.. Seem to remember Austin Artics coming from over that way, did`nt they share a yard with a fuel company??
When you turn off the A339 by what used to be Greenham Common and run down into Ecchinswell was there yard on the right or am i thinking of someone else??
Also remember some tippers running out of Headley just down the road but cant remember the company name.

I believe that’s where the yard was - they had blue Atkis & Sed Aks. Not sure about the tippers at Headley, but it will probably come to me

240 Gardner.
Thats it Atkinson`s… The tippers were Hope & Clay and i am pretty sure they were based behind the garage on the A339. You also had Dave Plum with an old Man Low Loader on the right and I think he is still there.

Harry Coff`s Bison.

MaggieD:
Hi anyone remember Billy Judd I think he was from Three Mile Cross, did round timber & Middle East,had a driver called John Cadman and John’s son worked for Brant’s of Tadley. ran Volvo’s in the 70’s

WHN Judd? I know mike prior who did m/east for them