Berkshire Companies

Leyland Lynx Coff Containers.

What about Alf Meade, boyze? he was pretty famous in the realms of transport

Was that the big cold store down the Oxford Rd in Reading??
Loads of wagons have passed through them gates but i cant remember who took over from Meads but it was Western Ice at some point and i think Christian Salveson had it as well…
A lot of the old fridge boys used to park up for the night in Portman Rd and walk to the Restoration pub and the brave ones parked down Scowers Lane by the fairground yard at the bottom.

What about Berkshire Vale transport,they were from harwell village origenally then later were on milton trading estate.Pete Stevens and Jim Mulford owned the company they ran a few aec,s f88,s and a marathon,the marathon was an ex simon int that they bought damaged and converted it from left to right hand drive.The lorry,s were blue with white signwrighting

Boyzee… Nice name by the way!!!
I remember Berkshire Vale and ive got a photo of one of there F88s somewhere. I remember them from the days when i drove for Meakins Transport and used to run the Coal into Didcot Power Station. Was`nt Ron Coles International in the same set of industrial units? Ron Coles or squibby as he liked to be called had a pale blue F10 and the last trucks of his i remember seeing where Renault Magnums when they first arrived on the seen.

Mark Veale Livestock Ltd from Neetlebed.

chris:

MaggieD:
Hi anyone remember Billy Judd I think he was from Three Mile Cross, did round timber & Middle East,had a driver called John Cadman and John’s son worked for Brant’s of Tadley. ran Volvo’s in the 70’s

WHN Judd? I know mike prior who did m/east for them

Yep spoke to mike yesterday, according to him; john cadman AKA “the colonel”
took over from mike when he left judds, his son was it lou or luke? had his own company according to mike so not sure on the brants thing

Hi Chris, Thanks for the info, John Cadman drove for me in 1975 his son was at Brants then but that’s 33 years ago !! seems like yesterday,think John worked internal in Saudi for Inchcape after me Cheers.

Boyze:
Was that the big cold store down the Oxford Rd in Reading??
Loads of wagons have passed through them gates but i cant remember who took over from Meads but it was Western Ice at some point and i think Christian Salveson had it as well…
A lot of the old fridge boys used to park up for the night in Portman Rd and walk to the Restoration pub and the brave ones parked down Scowers Lane by the fairground yard at the bottom.

That cold store became TDG Novacold, with a rental place at one end, TDG Adrian Truck Hire. When the rental business was sold off by TDG, the yard got split up. I haven’t been down there for a while - I try to keep out of Reading!

Boyze:
Boyzee… Nice name by the way!!!
I remember Berkshire Vale and ive got a photo of one of there F88s somewhere. I remember them from the days when i drove for Meakins Transport and used to run the Coal into Didcot Power Station. Was`nt Ron Coles International in the same set of industrial units? Ron Coles or squibby as he liked to be called had a pale blue F10 and the last trucks of his i remember seeing where Renault Magnums when they first arrived on the seen.

Berkshire vale sold out to taylor barnard,jim mulford was driveing a coach part time last i heard an pete stevens became a ■■■■■■■ lol.Petes brother roger stevens used to drive the f88.Also my mate barry king from harwell runs a 520 fh he used to do work for ron coles years ago.

What about Southdown Transport in Newbury, Sayers at Brightwalton, Bates in a yard at Curridge and Lyfords out Burghclere?

Didn’t Bridgnorth Milk Tpt have a depot at Thatcham ?

Maggie D.
I remember the Bridgnorth milk, they got taken over by Diary Crest and then faded away. There was also Cliffords Diary in Bracknell which is another one that bit the dust.
Leslie g Heath.
Southdown Transport was one i had forgotton about… Sayers were an unforgettable fleet as they were proberley one of the best looking fleets around the area at the time… The other two escape me at the moment…

John Paynton Transport.
This was the Mack my dad drove. John Paynton was based behind the Shepards House pub on the A4 at Woodley roundabout where Stewarts Cafe used to be…

Mark Veale F88.

Harry Coffs Leylands.

leslie g heath:
What about Southdown Transport in Newbury, Sayers at Brightwalton, Bates in a yard at Curridge and Lyfords out Burghclere?

R E Bates at Curridge were Atkinson service agents, weren’t they?

MaggieD:
Hi anyone remember Billy Judd I think he was from Three Mile Cross, did round timber & Middle East,had a driver called John Cadman and John’s son worked for Brant’s of Tadley. ran Volvo’s in the 70’s

Here ya go
Nice :sunglasses:

photo’s coutesy of Mike Prior (as a young man in the pic :wink: )

Hi Nipper,
Thanks very much for the photo’s, brought back a few memories,
Cheers MaggieD

sayers depot is around 15 min from my house beleive they went bust but the yard may well be used for another firm whos name escapes me at moment

These three pictures come from another post but are well worth another look. I think Berkshire Commercials are in the old yard now.
I know that Simon Sayer went off and started Falkland Haulage running tippers and i think the Sayer family have something to do with Wessex Recovery firm.
Nipper.
Great pictures mate its been years since i`ve seen them wagons.
scaniaman2006.
Sayers sold out to deruik (wrong spelling i know). It was a shame though because all the lorries ended up yellow & grey. Alan Black was the last bloke i remember driving for them but is now running his own out of Buisness post in Thatcham.