Been told not to do 'unnecessary' manual entries

Really don’t get some of the attitudes here, especially the ‘I start at X o’clock and enter the office to the precise second’, I start at 6am, but arrive 15-20 mins to 6, get keys and paperwork, check vehicle, fill in defect books, put card in precisely at 6am, wander off to chat and drink coffee with other drivers who do same. End of day, park, checks, office for handing in paperwork and debrief, chat, drink coffee, get card, keys on hook, clear off home.

Vid:
Really don’t get some of the attitudes here, especially the ‘I start at X o’clock and enter the office to the precise second’, I start at 6am, but arrive 15-20 mins to 6, get keys and paperwork, check vehicle, fill in defect books, put card in precisely at 6am, wander off to chat and drink coffee with other drivers who do same. End of day, park, checks, office for handing in paperwork and debrief, chat, drink coffee, get card, keys on hook, clear off home.

That’s up to you, but I’m not in the slightest bit interested in arriving at work any earlier than I need to be, nor doing any work before/after I’m being paid.

I like my sleep so only get up about 40 mins before my start time anyway for a 30 min commute!

I think I’d be going straight to the truck, card in and then back to get paperwork etc.

ezydriver:
We’ve just been told not to record ‘unnecessary’ manual entries when we pop our cards in at the start of our shifts. Unnecessary has been explained as “those couple of minutes before and after you insert and eject your card at the begining and end of your shift”. You know… those few minutes of incovenience collecting paperwork and keys, and finding and walking to one’s vehicle. We’ve been told “our cards should be in within the first 5 minutes of our shifts”, and to do a manual entry only if we’ve waited for a lorry. All this in the name of ‘efficiency’. Somehow I suspect they’re minute pinching, as we’re paid off our tachos.

I’m of the opinion this is legally wrong because once I enter the office at the start of my shift (bang on the particular hour), I’m on duty, waiting for keys and paperwork, and walking to my vehicle, none of which I’m doing for love, all of which I’m doing to earn money under the instruction of my employer. I’m always visualising what Mr. VOSA would say about the things I’m often asked to do should I be stopped at the roadside, and my tacho/vehicle inspected.

I’ve politely told them I shall continue entering manual entries, and my manager, weirdly enough, sided with me :open_mouth: but is simply trying to implement the order from above

What’s your opinion on this?

My opinion is that it’s your own fault for being at Maritime mate :laughing:

Driver facing camera’s, an hour deducted for lunch and paid off the tacho…

raymundo:

ezydriver:
thus losing 8 minutes pay.

Just think, add up all those lost minutes pay over a month and you could buy yourself a Yorkie bar … :slight_smile:

More like a Yorkie bar a day. If nothing was at stake, the employer wouldn’t mind you adding a few spare minutes on or turning in a few minutes late. After all, what’s a few minutes between friends?

The most sensible solution would simply be for the employer to round the pay in the driver’s favour. That way, minutes would not be lost doing the manual entries for the end of the previous shift and the start of the current, and drivers would not be concerned about it.

Roymondo:

raymundo:

ezydriver:
thus losing 8 minutes pay.

Just think, add up all those lost minutes pay over a month and you could buy yourself a Yorkie bar … :slight_smile:

8 minutes every day for a month is over 2.5 hours - that’s about 20 quid even if he’s only on Minimum Wage!

For those amongst us who find it impossible to smile because of a physical defect … it was supposed to be a bit of humour :unamused:

youve been told not to do unnecessary manual entrys.

thats fine, because you need to make them to get paid correctly, therefore they are not unnecessary.

tell the office to put that in their pipe and smoke it :grimacing:

raymundo:
For those amongst us who find it impossible to smile because of a physical defect … it was supposed to be a bit of humour :unamused:

Dont worry, some of us saw it for the joke it was.
Although im not sure what sort of kings ransom you think a full timer is on that 8 minutes is enough for a yorkie.
Only an agency driver could afford such luxuries…

A Yorkie bar costs about 60p. 8 minutes @ 8 quid an hour will earn you over £1 (before tax). Surely even Maritime’s full-timers are on more than 8 quid an hour…

I know the site has become a tad boring since the big crack down but surely the humour hasnt been sucked out of it that much?

It. Was. A. Joke

I. Wasn’t. Being. Entirely. Serious.

Roymondo:
I. Wasn’t. Being. Entirely. Serious.

Thank god for that.
You had me worried there for a second! :laughing:

We are paid off the tacho too, so obviously I do manual entries whenever necessary .
Usually when we drop off our trucks for 6 weekly check at night .could be ten mins if I get a lift back to the depot or 30 mins if I need to walk back !
Anyway the manual entry is done the next morning , so ten mins other work then put on break/rest then so many mins other work .
Anyway doing it this way I was getting pulled up as tachomaster was showing that I worked overnight as if I had left my card in by mistake :neutral_face:but not showing any infringements .

Anyway after a heated discussion with my manager and he said he would look into it :unamused:

So the solution was instead of manual entering rest symbol (bed) for daily rest was use the question mark symbol (?).
Now I never even knew there was such a mode to enter but it was there in with , crossed hammers /bed /poa .

I did a test and did a download had it run thru tachomaster , no infringement so all good . Not sure what the question mark is for but when you eject your card at night and do a print out I think it shows a question mark for the time the cards out ■■?

Any ideas anyone :stuck_out_tongue:

Am paid basic wage plus bonus for each load I deliver…it matters not to me, we could show 3 hours break in a day and wouldn’t affect our wages. Long as I do the loads am given, that’s it. Customer dependant we can often choose our start time. Earlier you start, earlier you finish. Couldn’t be arsed with someone arguing with us over 5 mins! I phone customer myself and arrange delivery within allocated slot that suits us both. Easy

Thank fooik, I work for a proper company, it’s on the time sheet, it gets paid, all these blue chipper plobbers putting up with pointy shoe crap, no wonder there’s a shortage of people who want to drive for a living.

biggriffin:
Thank fooik, I work for a proper company, it’s on the time sheet, it gets paid, all these blue chipper plobbers putting up with pointy shoe crap, no wonder there’s a shortage of people who want to drive for a living.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
when i work then its by the day or by the trip,who could be assed debating 5 mins with some ■■■■■■■ in an office…pathetic,find a decent job without the crap.

Mikey D:
Not sure what the question mark is for but when you eject your card at night and do a print out I think it shows a question mark for the time the cards out ■■?

Any ideas anyone :stuck_out_tongue:

The ? symbol is for unknown activity, ie the tacho doesn’t know what you were doing because the card was out. In other words you were freely disposing of your time in a non driving related way- or in other, other words you were on rest.

It really shouldn’t matter though if you use ? or bed symbol to show rest, so I’m not sure why Tachomaster would have a problem with it.

dieseldog999:

biggriffin:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
when i work then its by the day or by the trip,who could be assed debating 5 mins with some ■■■■■■■ in an office…pathetic,find a decent job without the crap.

+2
If you take these limpdicks seriously, it just encourages them. :unamused:
When they start prattling on about all this type of crap in their pretentiouslly named ■■■■ ‘‘debriefs’’ :unamused:
,…just do this.youtu.be/qIpYP183zDQ
:laughing:

Thanks cupidstunt , it seems me manually entering my rest period using bed Symbol , the tacho master is thinking my card is in , where as if I use the question mark it doesn’t :unamused: .
■■■■■■ if I know :confused:

Oh and yea I’d much rather fill in a time sheet but that’s the way it is !
I’m not gonna loose out on pay so will have to continue doing manual entries , just a shame we have no transport manager or other 'pointy shoe ■■■■ bag 'to tell us we need to use question mark not bed symbol :smiling_imp:

No debriefs or any of that rubbish and they do pay well (for the area :unamused: ) so I’ll stick with it a bit longer :wink:

Oh and robroy if you want to shake your head in despair some more , go to cullina ambient depot in Wolverhampton … they have a prebrief window as well as a debrief one :grimacing:

Mikey D:
Oh and robroy if you want to shake your head in despair some more , go to cullina ambient depot in Wolverhampton … they have a prebrief window as well as a debrief one :grimacing:

Yes and “league table” and also a dedicated “compliance department”.

That place made me decide very quickly that I’d never work for Culina on my first visit for a collection.