Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

adams butter of leek, ran a fleet of bedfords, back as far as the 40 s.

andrew.s:

mrken:
Er yea lol

Er i only asked as i couldnt see the name on the headboard,and thought it looked like russel davies colours…

Sorry Andrew I didnt mean to sound sarcastic ,after we restored it it stayed in the workshop for ages before going to the Ipswich motor museum

mrken:

andrew.s:

mrken:
Er yea lol

Er i only asked as i couldnt see the name on the headboard,and thought it looked like russel davies colours…

Sorry Andrew I didnt mean to sound sarcastic ,after we restored it it stayed in the workshop for ages before going to the Ipswich motor museum

ha ha thats okay lol.
didnt you have a LB 80 in Brain Haulage colours?

Here’s a KM dipping his headlights in the river Thurne at Potter Heigham Norfolk.

Following-on with the Malta theme , this very clean Bedford T K was spotted , parked in a side-street
in the islands capital of Valletta last week. The suns shadow prevented what should have been a clearer photograph.

Judging by the recent paint job , perhaps there is a surplus of the colour used on the now-defunct Maltese buses. :laughing:

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

andrew.s:

mrken:

andrew.s:

mrken:
Er yea lol

ha ha thats okay lol.
didnt you have a LB 80 in Brain Haulage colours?

Yep only one left now apart from Lambrettas and RS turbos but all were enjoyalble

Photo with the courtesey Of Jennifer Young, Regards Larry.

The late Blacketts Father & Son, Photo with the courtesey of Geo Blackett, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
The late Blacketts Father & Son, Photo with the courtesey of Geo Blackett, Regards Larry.0

What was the name of the cat?

TOM Regards Larry.

IIRC Blue Circle Cement had a decent size fleet of KMs on bagged powder work, seem to remember a few bulk tanks too :question:

newmercman:
IIRC Blue Circle Cement had a decent size fleet of KMs on bagged powder work, seem to remember a few bulk tanks too :question:

That’s correct, and most of the local tipper and haulage companies around here had Bedford’s in their fleet.

Pete.

Hi, Newmercman,

Rugby Cement ran quite a few KM’s ,both in platform and bulk tank type. They were one of the few trucks that I drove that went faster when you changed down, I don’t know what gearbox they were fitted with but top gear was lower than the one one below it. Another thing I remember is that you had to be good at what in modern talk,is called " forward planning and observing the road ahead" because the brakes were crap.

Cheers Bassman

bedford tm tipping hamilton today

Thats a smart looking motor for its age,y reg isnt that 1982? doesnt look dated either a credit to its owner, thanks for the photo.

Bassman:
Hi, Newmercman,

Rugby Cement ran quite a few KM’s ,both in platform and bulk tank type. They were one of the few trucks that I drove that went faster when you changed down, I don’t know what gearbox they were fitted with but top gear was lower than the one one below it. Another thing I remember is that you had to be good at what in modern talk,is called " forward planning and observing the road ahead" because the brakes were crap.

Cheers Bassman

Gordon Bennett! Now you’ve done it, you had to bring gearboxes into it :laughing:

IIRC the KM had a Turner 5spd, the one I drove had an Eaton 2spd back end too, don’t remember the arse about face ratios though, but I do remember the brakes, or lack of brakes to be precise :cry: They were wedge type brakes as I remember, something that could and often did go wrong, I spent a day stuck at some lights on the A21 when they wouldn’t release on the back axle after stopping :cry:

Hi, with the turner 5 speed and eaton 2 speed 5th low was a lower gear than 4th high if that makes sense !
Leyland mastiffs had the same set up.

Trev_H:
Hi, with the turner 5 speed and eaton 2 speed 5th low was a lower gear than 4th high if that makes sense !
Leyland mastiffs had the same set up.

My D1000 was the same set up Trev,you changed down from high 5th to high 4th then back to low 5th !! Cheers Dennis.

chrisv:
Thats a smart looking motor for its age,y reg isnt that 1982? doesnt look dated either a credit to its owner, thanks for the photo.

Thanks
I try and give it a run out twice a month no point in having it stuck in a shed to me the joy if that the word is driving/using it

W A Glendinning Tipper from the early 50’s at Durham Field Quarry Northumberland