Leyland Marathon and TM Bedford

Theres a thread on here for ERF Atkis and Transcons what about one for the other makes that came with ■■■■■■■ big cam options the Marathon and TM Bedford ( which I think were cheaper to buy is that right?) I only drove a Marathon hire motor for a couple of days, a day cab with a TL engine, wasn,t too impressed, but I reckon the 2bunk sleeper with the 290E and Fuller box in would be a far better motor, I also nearly bought a TM with a 400 ■■■■■■■ conversion went like sh off a stick but didn,t like the Spicer box … (Christ! am I sounding like a bloody anorak or what? I,ll be spotting trains next :unamused: :unamused: ) anyway any pix anybody? especially of the interior of the Sleeper cabbed Marathon…I,m away again :unamused:

:blush: Just noticed the existing Bedford TM thread :blush: :blush: :blush: I posted early AM,I,d just got in and the effects of the John Smiths were still active :laughing: :laughing: anyhow lets concentrate on the Marathon :unamused:

Hi robroy,
i’ve posted this before on the leicester bygones thread, but hey ho.
This is one my grandad had from brand new DLG 370S had the ■■■■■■■ NTC250 in, it was a revelation after his LV ERF with a 180 Gardner. The Marathon had the fuller 9 speed roadranger gearbox, spent many happy summer/bank holidays and weekends trammin around the uk and scotland in it. Remember doin 80mph on the A19 thirsk on us way to middlesborough once, oh happy days… :laughing:

There`s a marathon thread here too

ramone:

I just knew somebody would say that :blush: , I promise not to come on here again when I,m Oliver Twist :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

ramone:

I just knew somebody would say that :blush: , I promise not to come on here again when I,m Oliver Twist :laughing: :laughing:

Ha ha its lethal,but tell us more about the TL12 Marathon you drove cos i`ve heard contrasting reports on this engine some say they were flying machines

ramone:

robroy:

ramone:

Ha ha its lethal,but tell us more about the TL12 Marathon you drove cos i`ve heard contrasting reports on this engine some say they were flying machines

Yeh as far as I remember it went OK, I only had it for about a week( so I didn,t have to maintain it), I used to hear claims that the TL was quite soft and wouldn,t stand up to much stick, and weren,t too great when they had a few miles on the clock, but I aint sure if it was true, the bit I said about being not impressed was down to the fact I had to have a couple of nights out in it
across the seats after getting used to the sleeper cab in my then Sed Ak.

robroy:

ramone:

robroy:

ramone:

Yeh as far as I remember it went OK, I only had it for about a week( so I didn,t have to maintain it), I used to hear claims that the TL was quite soft and wouldn,t stand up to much stick, and weren,t too great when they had a few miles on the clock, but I aint sure if it was true, the bit I said about being not impressed was down to the fact I had to have a couple of nights out in it
across the seats after getting used to the sleeper cab in my then Sed Ak.

My dad got 1 of the last Marathons made (i think they were assembled at Scammell) with a E290 ■■■■■■■ it was a revelation compared to the F86 he had and at £16000 it wasn`t too expensive , i can even remember the registration JCP 49W how sad is that

Neil Boughey’s ■■■■■■■ 290 powered example

Martin Conod owns three Marathons

BLN368T, KYR943P and WTJ120L (chassis number one and 335 ■■■■■■■ powered)

And finally - the gas turbine powered Marathon -

Apologies for crap picture — it is packed in a shed

fryske:
And finally - the gas turbine powered Marathon -

Apologies for crap picture — it is packed in a shed

In the late70’s early 80’s this was in the Jag/Rover/ Triumph warehouse at Honeybourne next to the Prison, they often had it running and I was lucky to have a go in it, if only for a few yards. The whole idea to me was frightening, Marathon brakes were poor at the best of times but with no engine braking it relied on a hit and miss electric retarder. Don’t know if it ever went down the road, I only ever saw it shunting !

it was parked at noel penny turbines in coventry after that,when they shut down it was moved to swifts yard on the same estate i remember it being parked in the car park for some time then suddenly disappaered one day never saw it again that must have been 1992-3 as i had a new L reg fl10 , never saw it in honeybourne as i was always in there loading oil

fryske:
Neil Boughey’s ■■■■■■■ 290 powered example

That is beautiful!

Thank you for my new desktop background :stuck_out_tongue: