Bedford tk & km

One of the many I’ve driven

TK860 Turner 5-speed, taken about 1982. Before that an R-reg (that’s R suffix = 1976 for our younger viewers :wink: ) with Bedford’s famously accurate :confused: 4-speed and before that a ‘71 TK with the 300, bigger wheels but downrated to 7.5t gross. This old warhorse had the handbrake by the driver’s door which operated on a disc on the propshaft via a cable :open_mouth: If you let your foot off the brakes before it had engaged properly the thing would sit there rocking backwards and forwards 6’ in both directions for ages.

Sorry, failed to answer the question: “What in your opinion made these models so popular with transport companies during the 60s/70s.”

Three things:
Cheap to run.
Cheap and easily available spares.
Cheap to buy.

Actually that’s one thing, not three :stuck_out_tongue:
To be fair they were (for their time) fairly rugged if basic (especially by the late 70s), relatively light unladen weight, reliable ish except for the motors especially the 330s which usually ran hot. Cabs were horrible places to spend more than 10 minutes in if you were over 5’2", noisy, hot in the summer, cold in the winter and fresh air ventilation was from a hole in the floor operated by a pedal. Being one myself I could spot a fellow TK driver in a lorry park just by the hunched back :open_mouth:

I had the ‘pleasure’ of a 16t with a fridge body when I started at BRS many years ago. What a pig to drive.
However, their appeal was widespread (or their salesmen were very good), and they sold throughout Europe and beyond,
Here’s a few examples…

Anyone got any more from around the world?

Wish I had a quid for every night I spent sleeping in a KM, quite often my lady friend used to come along for a ride! and that was a very cosy night indeed. Oh memories.

Muckaway:
My Dad’s worked for Smith and Sons for 32 years and he started on a KM dropside tipper when they supplied bags of cement and barrels of bitumen alongside loose aggregates. Many old time Smiths drivers reckon the KM was brilliant off-road for its day but not very quick.
I’m not old enough to remember Smiths using them as tippers but they kept one for years as a welders lorry, replaced 1989 with a purpose built Leyland Freighter.
I remember Bints’ Transport of Northmoor Oxon, using a TK for coal deliveries until early 90s, and I’m regularly seeing the backs of TKs (pulling donkey boxes!)
Oh, and G.F Luckett (coal merchants) of Alvescot were using some until recently,their yard had the remains of several hiding in bushes!

I drove Bedford KM for C M Philpotts from Kington with a 466 engine and a five speed gearbox and a two speed axle.That one would do 75 mph on the motorway if there were no police about no problem. It was a double dropside tipper and in those days did tarmac stone or any other quarry materials.Did the odd load of concrete blocks with it as well. Pulled like a train.Only thing I wasn’t keen on was the low roof height as I have said on other posts.I can’t remember another lorry overtaking me in that KM going up Crickley Hill on the A417 towards the Air Balloon loaded.
Cheers Dave.

i started with a 10 ton gross bedford tk on 8.25 x 17 inch tyres which was under the old 3 ton empty limit which gave it a payload of seven ton on a car licence, had it for 9 years, i had two tks and two kms all flats good reliable trucks for an owner driver, looking for photos now

Early 70’s at the Southampton workshop for Unigate where I was motor vehicle apprentice. These were the staple diet of choice for Unigate, Bedford. This was when industry was trying to save Britain (Buy Brittish, Fly the flag etc.) I hated the fixed cabs (especially as Ford D’s tipped) and everything wore out so quick (kept me in a job AND all things were repaired not replaced).

I agree with davetherenegade, we had 2 x KM 466 tractors with 2 speed axles, flying machines. The others ranged from 2 rigids with 6 cyl. petrol engines!!! For urban shop deliveries (nice n quiet). 330, 466 and in the end 500 engined tractors. 500 engines were crap! Constant water issues.

hotel magnum:
i started with a 10 ton gross bedford tk on 8.25 x 17 inch tyres which was under the old 3 ton empty limit which gave it a payload of seven ton on a car licence, had it for 9 years, i had two tks and two kms all flats good reliable trucks for an owner driver, looking for photos now

This is a shot of the same TK you describe which we got new in early 1970.Model KE and it had 825.17 inch wheels,5 speed box and a 45 gal coach tank on the o/s. ULW 2 ton 17 cwt @ 10 ton GVW.My 17 year old brother drove it.

Bewick:

hotel magnum:

This is a shot of the same TK you describe which we got new in early 1970.Model KE and it had 825.17 inch wheels,5 speed box and a 45 gal coach tank on the o/s. ULW 2 ton 17 cwt @ 10 ton GVW.My 17 year old brother drove it.

Did you have something against your 17 yr old brother then Dennis? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

Bewick:

hotel magnum:

Did you have something against your 17 yr old brother then Dennis? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It was a joint decision Trev !!!he was like a dog with “two tails”!! Well what motor would you have recomended at that time ? Cheers Dennis.

scan0517.jpg

scan0495.jpg

You’re probably right Dennis, there wasn’t a lot of choice in that department perhaps only the Ford but guess the Bedford had it on payload and reliability. Just glad I never had to drive one, I don’t think I would have fitted in ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Trev_H:
You’re probably right Dennis, there wasn’t a lot of choice in that department perhaps only the Ford but guess the Bedford had it on payload and reliability. Just glad I never had to drive one, I don’t think I would have fitted in ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Aye Trev,the TK was a far better motor than a little D series,we never even gave the Ford a look in.We never dossed in the cabs of our motors,always in digs,for a decent nights kip! Did plenty of midnight “flyers” so we were on the doorstep in London in the morning,long days they were I’ll tell you Trev ! Cheers Dennis.

a1.jpg
puxr2.jpg

I once delivered to Bedford factory in a brand new Fiat 190.30 rigid, around 79-80. While waiting in queue to tip a guy came out of the offices and asked if he could look inside, he paid particular attention to the way the headlining in the cab was fixed on, he explained he was one of the designers working on a replacement to the TK. A year or so later the TL was launched, I never did look inside one to inspect the headlining design, but if it was the same as the Fiat that,s MY claim to fame :sunglasses:

I spent numerous nights on the parcel shelf of the TK, being 6foot 1 the only way to stretch out was to stick your feet out of window which was OK until it rained, so I graduated to sleeping under a self made wig wam under the sheet :unamused: , who the hell would do that these days??

J Haydon & Sons had a TK in their fleet of cattle trucks - E reg (1966/67) with a Leyland 400 in it for some reason. 13 ton gross (or maybe 10)

Can one of you Bedford experts explain why the brakes made that most distinctive sound (and sometimes when changing gear). It’s very hard to write down but trust me, I’m making the sound right now :smiley:

Loved them like a lot of operators I started with TKs and to be honest they done me proud 330 6 pots and turner 5 speed boxes they were great
Had 2 box vans and a flat which came off Blue circle and had the helper springs plumed up which gave it 7.5 gross so i didnt need a HGV
Tried D series and the Leyland Terrible and they just never macthed the little Bedfords

Gardner 120:
J Haydon & Sons had a TK in their fleet of cattle trucks - E reg (1966/67) with a Leyland 400 in it for some reason. 13 ton gross (or maybe 10)

Can one of you Bedford experts explain why the brakes made that most distinctive sound (and sometimes when changing gear). It’s very hard to write down but trust me, I’m making the sound right now :smiley:

Back in early sixties we had a mixed fleet of Dodge, Albion and Bedford tippers and flats which included 3 or 4 TK’s on livestock. One had a Leyland engine (reg TNL 360) and I think had a two speed axle. Was a proper flying machine for the time. I think they would be 20 - 22 feet bodies and fully loaded with three decks of sheep the suspension made some creaks,squeeks and cracks !!!
Was the distintive brake noise not caused by the Vacuum pack in the brake line ■■?
We also had two TK’s dedicated to domestic coal/coke delivery,one flat and one autobagger. The autobagger body design was one of only about 3 that Neville Charrold built
I was still at Junior school back then but did some miles as shotgun during the holidays in TK’s and later KM’s around the local cattle marts and farms in the summer and around the back streets of Gateshead in the winter on the coal rounds.

Greetings,All. Re. the TK brake noise.It was an air over hydraulic braking system servo,on the offside,behind the cab,bolted to the chassis.(Rod operated) The noise was made by the air escaping from the servo on the release of the brake pedal.As you know,it was very distinctive, and you knew when a TK was near.Regards to you All, 900X20 :slight_smile:

P.S. It was a great advance over the Clayton Dewandre vacuum brake system! 900X20. :smiley:

900X20:
As you know,it was very distinctive, and you knew when a TK was near.Regards to you All, 900X20 :slight_smile:

Or not ! the one that ran backwards and run me over made no sound at all !! :smiley: :smiley: