Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

CTN 812 REG 1935 LBB 813 REG 1947, the rest of them I cant make out, But it is a nice selection of old wagons isnt it, There appears to be a bonneted Leyland among them too, Regards Larry.

Jonh Scott Ltd Newcastle on Tyne, Ex WD. Bedford,I bet that was a freezing cold bloody job Eh no cab heaters in those days but you could keep you tin tea bottle hot on the passenger side, off the manifold, Regards Larry.

Taken at Coventry’s Transport Museum a couple of years or so ago

Heres one I took in Malta some years back There was lots of them about oldish & newish, Regards Larry.

I have just returned home from two weeks holiday in Malta. There are still some Bedford T K s at work. When I get the photos developed , Ill put them on here.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

P.S. I would be very interested to know the reg. nos. of the Newcastle Co Op Bedford WLGs. , as my father`s first wagon
was reg. no. CTN 945 , - a Newcastle issue.

Well the number you are refering is a Newcastle Reg 1936 as far as my little black book tells me, Ive had this book for a long time now, It is the 1949 issue, & was handed to me by one of my old mates who in fact is still alive, he is 84 now, still raring to goe, but he is at the slow starter stage, in fact just like me, But ask me a number & if i can help I most certainley will., Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Jonh Scott Ltd Newcastle on Tyne, Ex WD. Bedford,I bet that was a freezing cold bloody job Eh no cab heaters in those days but you could keep you tin tea bottle hot on the passenger side, off the manifold, Regards Larry.

That’s a great atmospheric photograph of a snow-bound street scene in Newcastle city centre,which shows snow being loaded onto a great Ex-WD Bedford OY Lorry,JTN 227 :question: ,which is a June 1941-June 1944 Newcastle registration.
The driver of that John Scott Bedford must have been made of strong stuff - in fact all drivers in those days must have been… to put up with the freezing cold conditions,with no heaters in the vehicles (except in motorcoaches,some buses and some cars).
The British WD Bedford MW 15 Cwt 4x2 Lorry of World War Two was nicknamed “The Pneumonia Wagon”,because of it’s open cab,with metal doors without windows,a canvas roof and fold-down canvas and see-through plastic side curtains for the “windows” of the doors - full length curtains for those MW’s that were produced without doors! :exclamation: :-
flickr.com/photos/12831473@N00/5977603759/

Lorry drivers of today would not tolerate lorry cab’s without heaters today :slight_smile:
Compared to the traditional coachbuilt metal and wood cabs on ERF’s,Atkinson’s,etc,Bedford K,M and O-Types had draught-proof pressed steel cabs :smiley:
The Bedford in Malta looks like an M-Type to me :slight_smile:

VALKYRIE.

Various Bedfords from the fifties up to the eighties

Bedford MW 15cwt trucks in a REME depot

Another one from Malta, Regards Larry.

Another Bedford Tipper location not known to me, Regards Larry.

mr ken,nice tk.
is that a russel davis scania 110 i see next to it in the garage?

Er yea lol

Larry,
Don’t know if you have access to a publication called, “Trucking Down Memory Lane”? If memory serves, there are a few photos of Bedfords in there (can’t speak for any copyright issues!).

I have just returned from 2 weeks` sunshine on the sunny island of Malta
There are still Bedfords to be seen at work, and some of them have been well looked-after.

This gem was parked outside a garage when I first spotted it , so I returned a couple of days later , - this time with
my camera.
By then , it was parked inside the garage showroom , making it hard to take any decent photographs.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Another photograph of the T K , shining in the Maltese sunshine.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

This was the last Bedford we had on the Bewick fleet.

mrken:
Er yea lol

Er i only asked as i couldnt see the name on the headboard,and thought it looked like russel davies colours…

Hi a few Bedfords from Malta in the 1990s era.
Gordonwil