Bedford TM

My dad Micheal(wilf) hill (sadly no longer with us)had that TM new…it was DTT 928T…it came from Reid and lee in Exeter…I’ve got photos here somewhere.ill try and find thrm

Wilfsboy:
My dad Micheal(wilf) hill (sadly no longer with us)had that TM new…it was DTT 928T…it came from Reid and lee in Exeter…I’ve got photos here somewhere.ill try and find thrm

Gotta be worth a thread revival award . :smiley:

We had 2 TM’s that did Middle East,Turkey and Europe when I drove for Malc Hillage and later Curtis-Hillage,both motors had the Detroit V8 with Spicer gearbox,but later (the one with out a/c on the roof) had a ■■■■■■■ fitted,i only drove the TM’s a couple of times (I drove the Marathon) but I remember they were fast and heavy on fuel but on a good point they had a Jake brake fitted which was brilliant after the exhaust brake on the Marathon

Suedehead:

Rob Campbell:

V8 Passion:
dos anyone remember seeing a tm that had a axle fitted between the 1st axle and the diesel tanks,

Do you mean this one? Wonder if anyone has any history on the truck/driver .There was a thread going a while back about Hercocks .It is a rear animal though.

Did HM customs have the illuminated headboard out ?
:laughing: :laughing:

That was the shower Suedehead!!!

What did these Tms drive like then ? , never got a chance to drive one but we use to have a day cabbed version tip in the Brs Oxford depot every day and I do recall the driver enjoy driving her .

They were very under-rated. Apart from the dreaded tinworm and, to a great extent, the poor image of the Bedford marque, the ■■■■■■■ engine versions were every bit as good as the ERF. Same driveline but with superior cab space and comfort. A couple of my mates bought used TMs after running ERFs and S.Atkis and really rated them. Eventually the rot set into the cabs, seemingly to penetrate from the inside. Maybe this was due to the insides of the panels not being given sufficient priming, but there were those who claimed that the rust was built-in at the South Wales rolling mills!

This is a Bedford tm that my dad drove . It was one of the first ones with a ■■■■■■■ E 290 . It used too fly ! Tony

heres mine

Hi trailers hows things? Its nice to see a good old lorry working . What stuff do yoi.haul. Mu dads tm was taking a big steel up too kingussi in scotland. It was for a folk museum. :confused: . Tomh

Bloody smart phones . Tony

Not so smart, Tony?
Still looks good, trailers1.

No the keys are too small and screen too small !! Got back on my computer now. Thank god the kids hog the computer .Tony

truckerash:

Gavin McArdle:
Someone used to run abroad in the 80’swith a TM with an extended cab. I saw it it Dover quite often I even had a pic at one time. I believe it had the V8 rather than the V6 Detriot. It had a wedge shaped roof extension and the exhaust went through the air ‘wings’ making it look like it went through the roof, I bet Ash has a pic
Gavin

I’ve been searchin’ high and low for the photo Gavin!
This is the only 1 I can recall which had a extended cab. The guy was from Manchester and traded as A W D Truckin’.
I looked inside and it was pretty basic, just lots more headroom and a big bed.
I distinctly remember it pulling away after I took the photo and the Detriot sound was awesome!

[/quot

I was loading in frigoscania in Kirkby Liverpool early 70’s …The Bedford it was new and had just had the cab conversion it was a owner driver the front had a chrome grill …it was done up like a yanky truck
Ron Forsyth

two threads on Bedford TM here!

Some TM items of interest

Itailian regestered TM400

Where abouts are you in Brittany fergie 47, we lived there nr Dinan for a while. :slight_smile: :wink:

shirtbox2003:
Where abouts are you in Brittany fergie 47, we lived there nr Dinan for a while. :slight_smile: :wink:

Shirtbox2003

Out in the countryside, near Quimper…

Anyone ever do European or M/E in a Bedford TM? Bet you’ve got some pics bubbleman!

Cheers all,

brookie

Not quite what your looking for brookie but I did my first trip to Europe in a Bedford TK flat bed rigid!! :laughing: :laughing:

VED 31J, and it would have been in 1981 aged 19, got my HGV through the Young Drivers Scheme"

Still, I thought I was the dogs danglies though!!, had all the “gear”…gas cooker + bottles, enough food for a month, water, pots and pans, plates, tin kettle, washing up bowl,sleeping gear, clothes for a fortnight etc…I was a “real Continental Truck driver” at last!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sleeping on the parcel shelf ,im 6ft 3in :open_mouth: :laughing: , even had some curtains for it…and I went all the way to…MUNICH :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Four speed box, no power steering, no night heater, no radio,a seat that was like sitting on an orange box, steering wheel seemed like the size of the spare wheel but i loved it!!

Cheers, bullitt.