Ban lorries from using car sat-navs [Merged]

Since trucks have been around longer than satnavs it makes you wonder just how short their memories are. We did manage to get around before so what makes them think that we need to be regulated now? It is only an interactive map instead of a paper map and most of us can cope either way.

I wonder what else will hit us before I get out of this industry!

Not sure how they can actually ban them from trucks, the police aren’t going to pull over every truck they see with a sat nav in the windscreen and check that it’s a truck one, I would imagine any enforcement would be done after an incident.
But where would it stop? Nicking lorry drivers for having a normal A to Z with no bridges or anything marked on it?

ROG:
What percentage are resident UK drivers who do this :question: - or is it all non UK drivers :question:

As I said we need to know after any strikes:
whether a truck/car SatNav was in use ?
country of origin of driver ?
signage-- whether signed in advance with an alternative route or just one sign when youre on top of it ? signage-- both metric and imperial ? And there hasnt been any great increase in strikes over the past few years. Any are unacceptable of course. Maybe more awareness with social media etc? Is there an increasing problem due to SatNavs ? Or is this merely “being seen to be doing something” ?

scanny77:
I wonder what else will hit us before I get out of this industry!

A ban on dangerous sculptures being erected at the side of motorways :laughing:

Just kidding… banning sat-navs or any kind is just as silly… and you make a sound point… the industry is heading in a rather stupid direction - keeps desk jocks busy :unamused:

Winseer:
Actually, I’m 100% in favour of banning truckers from using “Car” SatNavs.

If this were done, and properly enforced - we’d finally get the shortage of drivers manifest itself in such a way that a full time trucker’s salary would come up alongside a Train Driver’s salary within a year or two.
This would mean the higher wages arrive before leaving the EU causes us to drop out of the “48 hour max week” which employers don’t bloody well follow to our advantage anyway.

Result? - £56k salary for a max 48 hour week, rigidly enforced by a new Union that has sprung up to represent Agency drivers, now that they have become the majority in the feet-of-clay haulage industry. :bulb: :smiling_imp:

Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorries - BBC News

'Sat-nav' jams 50ft lorry in Hertfordshire village - BBC News

Note the drivers are not named. This isn’t to “avoid invasion of privacy”.

It’s to make sure we don’t find out that it is a non-local driver (let’s say) who doesn’t know how to drive a truck without using the original driver’s sat nav, and the only one that should be used.

Are you Carryfast’s twin brother?

the nodding donkey:

Winseer:

If this were done, and properly enforced -… Train Driver’s salary within a year or two.
This would mean the higher wages arrive before leaving the EU causes us to drop out of the “48 hour max week” which employers don’t bloody well follow to our advantage anyway.

Result? - £56k salary for a max 48 hour week, rigidly enforced by a new Union that has sprung up to represent Agency drivers, now that they have become the majority in the feet-of-clay haulage industry. :bulb: :smiling_imp: . . . .

Are you Carryfast’s twin brother?

I was wondering the same thing. Uses :bulb: quite a bit. And Winseer is more active when C.F. is quiet.

Winseer:
If this were done, and properly enforced - we’d finally get the shortage of drivers manifest itself in such a way that a full time trucker’s salary would come up alongside a Train Driver’s salary within a year or two.

Result? - £56k salary for a max 48 hour week, rigidly enforced by a new Union that has sprung up to represent Agency drivers, now that they have become the majority in the feet-of-clay haulage industry. :bulb: :smiling_imp:

Crazy. Straight up, certifiably bonkers.

robroy:

Punchy Dan:
Blanket ban be good ,it would make drivers think about where they are going if they had to look on maps first be it paper or google , we got drivers here who have only ever driven on sat nav and go to regular destinations and still can’t tell you how to get there and don’t know where they are on route when asked .

That’s my whole point though Dan on blanket bans, why should I and others have to be banned from using one, just because of inept drivers actions.

Same reason it’s 30mph passed schools and shops etc. We’d do 30 if it was unlimited, but some idiots spoil it for everyone

Can’t see how they are ever going to enforce this if they bring it in. What are they going to do, stop every truck on thd toad to inspect the sat nav? Some manufacturers sat navs are just as bad. My mate drives a MAN and his keeps trying to take him down width restricted roads and weight limited roads. Anytime my truck sat nav tries taking me down a road, if I don’t think it’s suitable then I won’t go down it.

Common sense is our bigger aid we have.

Winseer:

Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorries - BBC News

Note the drivers are not named. This isn’t to “avoid invasion of privacy”.

It’s to make sure we don’t find out that it is a non-local driver (let’s say) who doesn’t know how to drive a truck without using the original driver’s sat nav, and the only one that should be used.

Mad as a box of ■■■■ frogs. :open_mouth:

merc0447:
Trouble is new drivers have never known anything but sat nav, so they are [zb] clueess in the art of sniffing out a customer. Or if the ■■■ lighter is broken they start crying in the transport office for another truck :laughing:

That is the root cause due to many drivers having no geographical knowledge of the country whatsoever and cant live or do their job without today’s sat nav technology.

Also it’s the type of people coming into the game today, how many of your kids fancy it for a living very few i imagine but they would if you could take them with you and give them an insight as to what it entails…

In my opinion this is exactly were the whole of the haulage industry has gone wrong no wonder drivers are not coming into the game today.

I always looked forward to the summer holidays and going with my dad in his lorry all over the country by the time i was 15 i knew my way around the length and breadth of the county.

If drivers could take their kids with them today it would breed a new generation of eager youth who in gaining geographical experience and practical knowledge at such a young age would more than likely be eager to become lorry drivers later in life.

moomooland:

merc0447:
Trouble is new drivers have never known anything but sat nav, so they are [zb] clueess in the art of sniffing out a customer. Or if the ■■■ lighter is broken they start crying in the transport office for another truck :laughing:

That is the root cause due to many drivers having no geographical knowledge of the country whatsoever and cant live or do their job without today’s sat nav technology.

Also it’s the type of people coming into the game today, how many of your kids fancy it for a living very few i imagine but they would if you could take them with you and give them an insight as to what it entails…

In my opinion this is exactly were the whole of the haulage industry has gone wrong no wonder drivers are not coming into the game today.

I always looked forward to the summer holidays and going with my dad in his lorry all over the country by the time i was 15 i knew my way around the length and breadth of the county.

If drivers could take their kids with them today it would breed a new generation of eager youth who in gaining geographical experience and practical knowledge at such a young age would more than likely be eager to become lorry drivers later in life.

I agree with ALL of that mate, and I also used to go with my Dad, and when older a couple of older mates.
As for the kids, all 4 of mine came all over UK and Europe on their school hols up to about 8 years ago when my youngest girl turned 13 and it suddenly became uncool :smiley: , broke my heart btw. :smiley:

However I had to talk my 2 boys out of doing it as I thought they would be better off doing something different (and I was right btw) they are both now on much better t.s & c.s and far more money than I am on.

What if I’ve a truck Sat-Nav but haven’t entered the truck dimensions correctly? :open_mouth:
Will they be running a CPC module for this? :laughing:

And it looks like someone’s been posting on a Sat-Nav thread without permission… :wink:

This whole idea is bloody stupid, just like the morons that get themselves stuck or hit bridges.
The Sat-Nav has very little to do with it, the driver either isn’t paying attention or is just a bellend.

Evil8Beezle:
This whole idea is bloody stupid, just like the morons that get themselves stuck or hit bridges.
The Sat-Nav has very little to do with it, the driver either isn’t paying attention or is just a bellend.

Local Gov Elections in 12 weeks. Local councillors want to be seen doing something. Irrelevant whether or not they`re proposing a real solution to a problem, so long as they do something. And pictures of trucks under bridges are good copy.

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

Local Gov Elections in 12 weeks. Local councillors want to be seen doing something. Irrelevant whether or not they`re proposing a real solution to a problem, so long as they do something. And pictures of trucks under bridges are good copy.

As said on another current thread, a 5 year ban and retest would probably be more effective…

The most ironic thing about this is that sat nav use is the main cause, and/or has increased all, or most of the problems that this proposed legislation is clumsily trying to counteract imo.

I may be way off here as I have no statistics to back this up, but as far as I remember there were not as many reports of large trucks getting wedged in villages, or as many bridge hits up to about 10 or so years ago when sat navs were used.
If I’m wrong, I’m sure somebody will tell me.

You even see the odd road sign now saying ‘‘Lorry drivers ignore sat nav down here’’ ffs :unamused: that is what it has come to.

I know it’s unworkable, and it will never happen, but I reckon new drivers should be disallowed to use sat navs until they have say 6 months experience, to allow them to actually LEARN an important part of the job, which would maybe go a long way to stop them blindly following their sat navs.

Evil…can I have a posting extension on this thread as you know how much I love to wind up the sat nav reliant :smiling_imp: . :laughing:

Of course you can mate, it’s amusing reading the posts from your adoring fans… :laughing:

moomooland:

merc0447:
Trouble is new drivers have never known anything but sat nav, so they are [zb] clueess in the art of sniffing out a customer. Or if the ■■■ lighter is broken they start crying in the transport office for another truck [emoji38]

Some of the best days of my life

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:
Of course you can mate, it’s amusing reading the posts from your adoring fans… :laughing:

Yeh, but have you not heard?
I have been ‘‘Put in my place’’…apparently. :neutral_face:
:unamused:

Just another knee jerk reaction from the idiots in power, they won’t do anything to solve the issue with proper training or criteria, just criminalise the issue and that’ll solve everything, happens way to often with far to many things. They take the need for common sense away from people then turn them into criminals when it backfires

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk