Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorriesbu

but will it make the sligtest bit of a differance ?

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37703556

I’ve already got a truck sat-nav and had it as soon as I got my licence. It’s the ■■■■■■■■■ who do things on the cheap with car sat-navs that are the problem.

Interesting to note that ‘a local council’ had said it would need to be able to fine errant drivers for ignoring signs and blighting the countryside. No difference in their priorities then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll never work too many agency on the roads nowadays :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Interesting how they note the incident on the M20 when that lorry with a digger on the back hit a bridge.

Wasn’t the general opinion on here that the bridge hadn’t been measured properly after they made the hard shoulder a running lane or something to that effect? Drivers pulling heavy plant tend to be on it with their heights.

Did anyone ever see any follow up to it? Would be lovely to know if it was actually the highways fault.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141864

SuperMultiBlue:
I’ve already got a truck sat-nav and had it as soon as I got my licence. It’s the [zb] who do things on the cheap with car sat-navs that are the problem.

What a load of Bull faeces, I used a TomTom Go510 before truck satnavs were even commonly available, I never once hit a bridge or got stuck up an unsuitable for HGV’s road!

It doesn’t matter what you use if you are a complete ■■■ you’ll manage to cause chaos, how much money you’re prepared to part with has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Now get on the original topic (I linked in my previous post) that I started, before I sue the OP for stealing my thunder :laughing:

I used a map for 25 years or so…

Never hit owt. Never got wedged anywhere and never pooed my keks if I hadn’t done a job before.

I’ve got Google maps on my phone but rarely use it. Whenever I do, it seems to put me in a field 50 yards from my actual location.

Reef:

SuperMultiBlue:
I’ve already got a truck sat-nav and had it as soon as I got my licence. It’s the [zb] who do things on the cheap with car sat-navs that are the problem.

What a load of Bull faeces, I used a TomTom Go510 before truck satnavs were even commonly available, I never once hit a bridge or got stuck up an unsuitable for HGV’s road!

It doesn’t matter what you use if you are a complete ■■■ you’ll manage to cause chaos, how much money you’re prepared to part with has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Now get on the original topic (I linked in my previous post) that I started, before I sue the OP for stealing my thunder :laughing:

How is it bull faeces you idiot? You may have used a car sat-nav for years but no doubt you also used other means to avoid this kind of thing.

Nobs who use car sat-navs and car sat-navs alone are the problem like originally stated.

I have an all upto date shiny truck nav (see recent thread :laughing:) but this evening I checked tomorrows work and noticed a 14’ bridge on my route, I run at 14’6".
I never used a sat nav, my Philips truckers map told me, which I then double checked on Google.
Buggered me up as had to swap, and now I’ve a crappy day :laughing:

SuperMultiBlue:
How is it bull faeces you idiot?

Calm down Doris, you’ll get your frillies twisted :unamused:

Reef:

SuperMultiBlue:

It’s the welsh mate. Thick as ■■■■.

Why tf do they automatically think sat navs are to blame. :unamused:
I use a sat nav myself, but do not totally rely on it.
The sat nav does not ‘send’ you or ‘tell’ you to go any ■■■■ where.
It’s the idiots without a brain, who take them as absolute gospel who can not think for themselves that are the problem, not sat navs.

You can never legislate anything for ■■■■ whits :bulb:

SuperMultiBlue:

Well I’m a ■■■■ that does things on the cheap in that case, so should I invest do you reckon ?..bear in mind before you answer I went for about 25 years before I bought my cheap sh sat nav, and never had any bother with high trailers using a map.
And still use a cheap sh sat nav today, after 11 years.

So how can I put this as politely as possible without causing offence ?
Here goes.

You are talking complete ■■■■■■■■ mate!
Sorry that’s the best I could do. :smiley:

SuperMultiBlue:

Reef:

SuperMultiBlue:

It’s the welsh mate. Thick as [zb].

That’s rich coming from a manky Manc…

Are we done yet or do we still have 5 minutes before the dinner bell rings? :unamused:

robroy:

SuperMultiBlue:

Well I’m a [zb] that does things on the cheap in that case, so should I invest do you reckon ?..bear in mind before you answer I went for about 25 years before I bought my cheap sh sat nav, and never had any bother with high trailers using a map.

Here goes.

Yes you used a map im on about ■■■■■■■■■ who just use a car sat-nav. How many times do I have to say this. Did you go to school you ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■?

SuperMultiBlue:

robroy:

SuperMultiBlue:

Well I’m a [zb] that does things on the cheap in that case, so should I invest do you reckon ?..bear in mind before you answer I went for about 25 years before I bought my cheap sh sat nav, and never had any bother with high trailers using a map.

Here goes.

Yes you used a map im on about [zb] who just use a car sat-nav. How many times do I have to say this. Did you go to school you [zb] ■■■■■■?

Very adult mate :unamused:

Is there anyone out there who has actually hit a bridge? I’ve always wanted to know this. Did you see the bridge and decide to have a go instead of turning around? Or did you just not notice the big brick thing?

My Snooper has the bridge heights on the A41 between Bicester and Alyesbury set at 14"9’ even though they’re both 15" and there are other bridges set at different heights to what they are same as in the Phillips and AA truckers atlas.
The bridge past Inverurie on the A96 towards Keith and Elgin is set at 14"6’ and there is even a sign saying that height at the Morrisons roundabout going towards Inverness on the 96 and one coming the other way even though you can get through it with a 14"11’ trailer like we do. Yes it’s an arched bridge on an s bend but you can get through it and it saves you roughly 10 mile in a detour.

Is there actual set rules and regs for measuring bridges? What I mean is isn’t it possible one council might be a bit more generous with their measurements than another, you could for example go under a local 14’9 bridge in your 14’11 trailer time and time again, then be in another part of the country and hit a 14’9 or even a 14’10 because the false sense of security the local bridge gave you.

I know of one bridge near me that has had the road dug out as it is the most direct route to Kenfig Industrial Estate and has had more “ski’s” stuck under it than a fat Polish working girl when it was a 12’9, not sure what the new height is because Google maps haven’t updated the street view part yet.

I suppose some bridges have also shrunk a few inches too due to resurfacing and such, in other words we need updated clear and concise information if they are going to market Truckers satnavs, and hopefully this is what this OS mapping will be.