Banning sat nav

Done part of CPc course other day ,drive for wisemans and the instructor was telling us that they have banned the use of sat nav.s at our market drayton depot .poss due to following them literally instead of common sense gather this is a big problem within the transport industry and will affect insurance premiums for most firms

how can they stop you unless they give maps for each drop/collection? i have used mine for years and never had a problem but then i use with an hgv atlas and common sense. oh and its a specific hgv sat nav not a car one at the end of the day you get what you pay for :exclamation:

And how will they know if your using one? Common sense is always needed along with an atlas, if your using a sat nav desinged for a car then you clearly dont have the brains to drive a truck!

been using a car sat nav for 5 years(tom tom go) in conjunction with a london a-z and a atlas that contains bridge heights.
never had any problems…learnt my way round london with it :sunglasses:

Simple if they ban them just drive round randomly looking for addresses stopping every 100 yards to check your AZ which I’m sure they provide.

Any company is perfectly entitled to prohibit the use of SatNavs, or aftermarket SatNavs in their vehicles. Presumably they will provide route instructions to delivery points.

hgvhgv:
And how will they know if your using one? Common sense is always needed along with an atlas, if your using a sat nav desinged for a car then you clearly dont have the brains to drive a truck!

OOOPPPS no brains here then. Funny how I haven’t hit a bridge or gone down a wrong road with one over the last 8 years, but then I do use it with common sense. If i’m at a firm that issues maps to the delivery, then I follow that instead.

Pity I can’t say the same for someone I know, who invested in a truck one and hit a low bridge following it.

Maybe he put it in car mode or didnt know how to update it :wink:

hgvhgv:
Maybe he put it in car mode or didnt know how to update it :wink:

Maybe :unamused: :unamused:

But how do you think we all got on before the truck versions were released, after all they’ve only been out there a couple of years really.

And the combination of my backwards brain, truck atlas and £50 second hand tom tom, seems to do better than these £300 all singing all dancing ones :smiley: :smiley:

If thats what works for you mate then thats fine but things have to move forward sooner or later. Every bit of tech that makes a job easier should be embraced.

Hgv your original comment about not having a brain is a bit rude,i have also used a Satnav for about 8 years and still have the original tomtom and the one i am using now is about 4 years old and not been updated and i have never used a truckers atlas either, i never seem to get lost or hit a bridge its called common sense a thing sadly lacking today in a lot of drivers, i have no idea how i managed before with just an atlas.

What they are most useful for is the last mile.

I use a car sat nav, to work out times and town centre drops, street atlases, a truckers atlas and the most important item common sense. If it doesn’t look right it probably isn’t.

Santa:

Well said that man :slight_smile:

I wonder how goods got delivered in the past before Sat Navs?

hgvhgv:
If thats what works for you mate then thats fine but things have to move forward sooner or later. Every bit of tech that makes a job easier should be embraced.

Where do you get the idea that it should be embraced?

Don’t remember many news items about lorries getting stuck down roads where they shouldn’t be before sat navs were followed blindly. Same with traffic offices giving addresses, we used to get full addressed now its just postcodes and put it in the prat nav.

I know some drivers who couldn’t give you directions to regular drops, as when you ask them they just say ‘don’t know, I just follow the sat nav’ :unamused: :unamused:

Booked in when??:

Santa:

Well said that man :slight_smile:

I wonder how goods got delivered in the past before Sat Navs?

Thats why I bought my first one, we were doing alot of city centre work, and it was easier to use a sat nav than trying to pick out a small road on the map in heavy traffic

hgvhgv:
If thats what works for you mate then thats fine

…so care to take back the comment about drivers who use car sat navs then :question:

of course technology should be embraced i remember my dad going away on a monday with a load of 10p’s and finding phone boxes to ring home the office etc, but now when you break down or have a problem 99% of the time we dont need to walk looking for a phone box sat nav is progressing all the time and is a useful tool personally i wouldnt use a car one and if you have a truck one i cant see how you could hit a bridge? you will have signs for a start! if you programme it correctly as for addresses i still get a full one and if not use the internet on my phone to find the full address oh wait thats another useful tool :open_mouth: .

war1974:
of course technology should be embraced i remember my dad going away on a monday with a load of 10p’s and finding phone boxes to ring home the office etc, but now when you break down or have a problem 99% of the time we dont need to walk looking for a phone box sat nav is progressing all the time and is a useful tool personally i wouldnt use a car one and if you have a truck one i cant see how you could hit a bridge? you will have signs for a start! if you programme it correctly as for addresses i still get a full one and if not use the internet on my phone to find the full address oh wait thats another useful tool :open_mouth: .

All depends how its embraced though. It doesn’t matter the technology, hitting a bridge should lead to a ban, I mean its not like they have no warning. The problem comes when people rely on the technology, and have no other way of doing with out it, and that’s the way its heading with sat navs.

I suppose you still use a mangle instead of a washing machine? Or a payphone instead of a mobile? My point is tech is moving on everyday
so why not make the most of it? Of course you still need common sense! Are you saying no trucker has ever got lost or gone the wrong way before sat navs?! If the tech is there, use it!