Axminster transport

LindseyB:
Dear all,
I’m sorry to inform you that unfortunately my dad, Peter Baulch, passed away on Thursday 19th April.
His funeral will be held on Friday 4th May at Axminster Church at 11:30. You will all be very welcome.
My brother and I have enjoyed reading this thread and hearing stories about dad’s working life.
We have found a large number of photographs that I will pass onto Cliff at some point.
Best wishes
Lindsey and Simon Baulch

Sorry to hear of your loss Lindsey and Simon. Although i never met your dad i spoke to him several
times on the phone and he always came across as a great bloke. Without doubt he run one of the
smartest looking fleets on the road in my opinion. RIP Peter.

Posted this a few years ago.

Click on pages once to read.

Capture18.PNG

Thank you for all your replies, information and thoughts.

Does anyone have any contact information for Bernie Thompson?

LindseyB:
Does anyone have any contact information for Bernie Thompson?

Someone in Cherbourg will know of his where abouts maybe the ferry office that was Truckline years ago when I worked with Bernie, just a thought Buzzer.

This was the day’s I will always remember. What a line up of lorries and what a paint job, they were a credit to you boss.

Well Thursday the 19th of April was one of the saddest day’s of my life when Peter’s wife Gaye phoned me to say Peter had died. He was not only my boss for 12 years he was a very good friend for 40 years or more. Always on hand to give advice if needed, and I must admit I needed a bit of guidance throughout my life .Peter was a boss who liked to do all aspects of the job,and really enjoyed getting in the lorry and doing a trip abroad enjoying the routiers eating and drinking as well as the driving and mixing with the other drivers. I have so many fond memories, and I could go telling stories forever but will stop here.
R.I.P PETER BAULCH

Thanks Dean for digging that one out the bottom picture shows the boss at his best.

This was the boss out enjoying his self driving we were loading apples in France.

That was a great send off for a great Man R.I.P BOSS.This is just a few of the old firm that attended the funeral on Friday. Condolences to Gaye, Lindsey, and Simon and there families.

By invitation only first freight train through the channel tunnel. Long after the Axminster day’s.

Cliff luxton:
By invitation only first freight train through the channel tunnel. Long after the Axminster day’s.

I too was an early bird on the tunnel, Cliff, driving through just a couple of days after it opened. Here’s a pic I took of it through the windscreen of the Scania 113 wagon and drag I was driving! Robert

It wasn’t me driving Robert it was our old boss from Axminster Peter after he sold to Danzas .He stayed for a few years after the takeover.

The iconic F89 with the best liveried trailer you could have.

Cliff luxton:
The iconic F89 with the best liveried trailer you could have.

And a classic ‘spready’ toboot! :sunglasses: Robert

Cliff luxton:
That was a great send off for a great Man R.I.P BOSS.This is just a few of the old firm that attended the funeral on Friday. Condolences to Gaye, Lindsey, and Simon and there families.

Whats the name of the big fella stood next to you Cliff ? He looks familiar did he go on and drive for
Crewkerne Transport ?

Nice pic of the F89, i imagine some of those drivers must have some pics tucked away. :wink:

Some great testements to a well loved man.
Can I ask you Cliff,was there a reluctance to drop the CAT name after Danzas takeover?Was it embraced by the employees?Would you still announce yourself as CAT rather than Danzas?
Just wondering,as I always announced myself at a collection point as Meadows as opposed to Danzas,even after the takeover.
The T45`s were a regular at the Danzas depots,Silvertown,MIFT,Coleshill etc.Indeed a great livery.
Rest in Peace Peter.

Dean looking at the picture Roger second to my left worked for CRT before and after working for Axminster, between him and me John Dwyer known as farmer worked there for many years longer than me, you would have met him in Poole, the guy on the right Eddie never did Europe work as far as I know.
Thanks Whiplash I think you are probably right , I left not long after the CATS name came along but it will always be Axminster Transport to me, so I imagine the guy’s that stayed from CATS would have carried on with that name rather than Danzas.

My dear old Dad long gone now but never forgotten, we were loading mussels in Tain in Scotland for the mussel beds in Brittany after the Oil spill in the late 70s.

Had some great times driving this .