Applying For Work In Canada

I’m led to believe that going direct onto the PNP is still an option in MB.

Alberta and it’s AINP could still be an option if you could get on it directly, but only the oil companies had that sway with the AB government and they’re on their arse at the moment so not much chance of that happening anytime soon.

Personally I’d go with Bison, maybe Loblaws.

newmercman:

Alberta and it’s AINP could still be an option if you could get on it directly, but only the oil companies had that sway with the AB government and they’re on their arse at the moment so not much chance of that happening anytime soon.

As far as I know you still gotta wait 6 months before your company can sponsor you. Just about every driver I know in the last 3 years had to apply this way although I could be wrong

Is there no provincial sponsored scheme in Alberta anymore then? I know my friend’s wife was sponsored by the province when they came over, but that was before the last set of rule changes.

Stuartj:
Hi

My family and I are planning to move to Canada next year. We are looking at Manitoba or Ontario. I have read through the post on here but can’t find anyone explaining how they approached companies in Canada for work.

I am an experienced class 1 driver and the plan is to find work, I’ll go over first and once everything is sorted over there my family will join me.

Am I over thinking this, should I just apply blind and to job adverts as I would in the uk or are there specific companies who actively look for uk drivers…?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Have you applied yet, to Canadian immigration?? or are you just coming over to look around first, Stuart. I came over, mind you in late 70s, had family over here, so looked around, found someone to say, they would give me a job, when I became a permanent resident, then went back and applied and was accepted. I then went, when I got here and got my license, it was called a chauffeurs license at that time, which let you drive anything, in those days, this was in Ontario. Now, they will have you do a road test, and written test, air brake test, medical, etc., before they issue you a license, for what ever class of truck you want to drive, a straight truck, with air brakes is a class DZ., Tractor trailer, is class AZ license, an ordinary car license is a class G, no medical required only the road test, in a car, plus a written test about rules of road. SO only doing my best to help out, here, If you do come over, you wont walk into a driving job right away, till you have completed the tests, for what ever class of license you want to get, so be prepared to take any kind of job, to tide you over, till you get your license, I WISH you GOOD LUCK, also, if you do get over here, and are , by any chance going to S/Western Ontario, PM me, I will do the best I can to help you out. All the Best.

newmercman:
Is there no provincial sponsored scheme in Alberta anymore then? I know my friend’s wife was sponsored by the province when they came over, but that was before the last set of rule changes.

Not that I know of for long haul. Maybe that’s been replaced by the EE I don’t know. Once you have ANIP you can change employers but they still have to have an LMIA which is BS because Alberta have already said you have provincial sponsorship

haggis12:

Stuartj:
Hi

My family and I are planning to move to Canada next year. We are looking at Manitoba or Ontario. I have read through the post on here but can’t find anyone explaining how they approached companies in Canada for work.

I am an experienced class 1 driver and the plan is to find work, I’ll go over first and once everything is sorted over there my family will join me.

Am I over thinking this, should I just apply blind and to job adverts as I would in the uk or are there specific companies who actively look for uk drivers…?

Have you applied yet, to Canadian immigration?? or are you just coming over to look around first, Stuart. I came over, mind you in late 70s, had family over here, so looked around, found someone to say, they would give me a job, when I became a permanent resident, then went back and applied and was accepted. I then went, when I got here and got my license, it was called a chauffeurs license at that time, which let you drive anything, in those days, this was in Ontario. Now, they will have you do a road test, and written test, air brake test, medical, etc., before they issue you a license, for what ever class of truck you want to drive, a straight truck, with air brakes is a class DZ., Tractor trailer, is class AZ license, an ordinary car license is a class G, no medical required only the road test, in a car, plus a written test about rules of road. SO only doing my best to help out, here, If you do come over, you wont walk into a driving job right away, till you have completed the tests, for what ever class of license you want to get, so be prepared to take any kind of job, to tide you over, till you get your license, I WISH you GOOD LUCK, also, if you do get over here, and are , by any chance going to S/Western Ontario, PM me, I will do the best I can to help you out. All the Best.

Haggis, this information is totally wrong, you cannot just come over and take any job till you get a licence, well not legally anyhow.
Also you cannot get PR as a truck driver in ON.

You can’t even change your driving license over without a valid work permit let alone do anything else

The whole thing is a farce really, you have Alberta making you jump through almost impossible hoops to get nominated, which is the complete opposite of my own experience in Manitoba, where the PNP office couldn’t have been more helpful and once that was all sorted our local MP’s office dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s on our application and helped out in any way they could, all for nothing as we can’t even vote for them until we get citizenship!

The PR application is the same, if it lands on one desk it’s a mere formality and paperwork exercise, if it lands on another then they want to know every little detail of your life and require supporting documentation or you get knocked back. I came very close to telling them to poke it and going back to England more than once during my PR application as it was driving me mad, I’d get an email thinking this was the one, but no, they wanted more documents or information and I had done everything to the letter up to that point, so they seemed as though they were just putting me through the wringer because they could.

However all of this is good in a strange kind of way, you don’t get people jumping in trailers to get here and get a free council house and benefits like you do in England, so it’s all worth it in the long run.

I’ve just had enough of the whole lot. Just over 3 years now and due to one thing and another just about no closer to PR now as I was when I got off the plane. We’ve had a great time over here and certainly don’t regret a second but fed up of bowing to every whim or risk PR getting revoked. No rights what so ever but it’s time to move on with my life and actually make plans instead of waiting for email or phone call saying we got it or not

taffytrucker:
I’ve just had enough of the whole lot. Just over 3 years now and due to one thing and another just about no closer to PR now as I was when I got off the plane. We’ve had a great time over here and certainly don’t regret a second but fed up of bowing to every whim or risk PR getting revoked. No rights what so ever but it’s time to move on with my life and actually make plans instead of waiting for email or phone call saying we got it or not

I know it’s a PITA but you can’t be too long before getting it.
It took me over 2 1/2 yrs to get it, because of my circumstances, 2 Imm companies, $$$$'s, I nearly gave up, it is worth it in the end.

neilg14:

taffytrucker:

It took me over 2 1/2 yrs to get it, because of my circumstances, 2 Imm companies, $$$$'s, I nearly gave up, it is worth it in the end.

Not even had application accepted yet by NS so looking at about another 18 months if I’m lucky. Life been on hold for long enough now Neil.

taffytrucker:

neilg14:

taffytrucker:

Not even had application accepted yet by NS so looking at about another 18 months if I’m lucky. Life been on hold for long enough now Neil.

Yeah, I understand, it’s a lot harder than before, for me, the thought of starting again in the UK and trying to get visa’s for my mrs over there made me persevere here till the end.
Do you know where you are going to go to ?

If you’ve got any form of criminal record - forget Canada - you won’t get in.
The US don’t like being called Canadians either , lol :slight_smile:

Back to South Wales. I’ve spoken to a few companies so some options there.

I know a couple of guys in AB working for different companies that have run into ‘problems’ and are looking at going back.

trux:
If you’ve got any form of criminal record - forget Canada - you won’t get in.
The US don’t like being called Canadians either , lol :slight_smile:

Not true. There are steps you can take to get around that, I don’t mean not telling them either. Obviously it depends on the crime, but it’s not black and white.

newmercman:

When i left Loblaws at the end of 2014 they couldnt even get LMIAs for the DC which was causing them real problems - from what I can gather from people still there is theyll hire anyone with a 1A nowadays to avoid the hassle of importing drivers.

Four Tracks seem to do a lot of their work now, for every Loblaws set I see, there’s a couple of four tracks causing mayhem.

neilg14:

haggis12:

Stuartj:
Hi

Haggis, this information is totally wrong, you cannot just come over and take any job till you get a licence, well not legally anyhow.
Also you cannot get PR as a truck driver in ON.

I meant, grab any job, till you pass the license requirements, no, you wont get a driving job, without a license, well, maybe at Pizza Pizza, doing deliveries if you have the car license, a G license, You are correct, no, you wont walk into a truck drivers job, till passing all tests, SORRY, if I did not communicate that correctly. I did say, if you read through my post, you wont walk into a driving job right away, till you have completed the tests, for what ever class of license you want, so take any job, to tide you over. meaning, what ever job, factory, something like that, to make a few bucks, till you get sorted out with tests and license, This is in Ontario, where I am, and worked as a long haul tractor trailer driver for over 30 years.

Haggis, things have changed a bit since you arrived, now you have to go through a ton of form filling before you can come here on anything but a holiday, you can’t get a job doing anything without a work permit, not even a paperboy.

Any company giving foreign workers a job has to prove that they can’t fill the vacancy local, provincially and nationally before they get issued with the authority (an LMIA) to offer the position to a foreigner.