Help please

pnp trucking companies canada (ANYONE PLEASE)

Maybe a more detailed post would get a result, I have no idea what this is about ?

PNP = Provincial Nominee Program. Most Canadian provinces have a PNP program which allows them to bring in foreign workers and largely by-pass the federal immigration system. Thats how most of us got permanent residence in Canada. You generally arrive on a temporary work permit and after 6 months become eligable to apply for PNP from the province you live in. They grant you that status and forward your application on to the federal level. Ontario for example doesn’t include truck drivers on its program so you can only go there on temporary work permits and then probably have to leave when you’ve used up your allowance (think its 4 years now?)

In New Brunswick the individual immigrant applies for his own PNP/PR and is in control of the whole process. In Alberta he/she has to be nominated by the company they work for, which in my mind is a complete abuse of power, but there you go.

The process is quite straight forward when you get your head around it and plan properly beforehand by bringing all the relevent documentation you will need for the application.

Step 1.

Decide which part of Canada you want to live/work in that does PNP. I may be wrong but I think they are AB, SK, MB, NB, NS, PEI and possibly Newfoundland and BC. I know BC used to do it on a small scale, I then heared they’d stopped doing it, so check on that. Its mainly just Ontario and Quebec that dont do it.

Step 2.

Find a company in your desired area that offers LMO’S (Labour market opinion, a document issued by the government which enables the driver to obtain a work permit).

Step 3.

Depending on your circumstances etc, after planning and more planning book your tickets to Canada and get your work permit when you arrive at the airport in Canada (its easier than applying for it from the Canadian embassy in London). You may get either a 1 or 2 year work permit. Obviously step 3 will also include arranging somewhere to live, but I didn’t do that so I’ll leave someone else to advise about that.

Step 4.

After working for six months (I’m in NB, other provinces may differ in time) complete your PNP/PR application and send in to the provincial goverment. Then just sit back and wait.

Step 5.

If you’re on a 12 month work permit you’ll need a new work permit to stay in Canada, thats usually not a problem, and if you’ve receiced your PNP status by that time its even easier as you dont need another LMO, you just go to the border with your PNP certicifate and other relevent documentation such as contracts etc and get a new 12 month work permit.
If you have a 24 months work permit, you’ll probably receive permanent residence before it expires, so long as you apply as soon as you can and dont dilly dally around.

Step 6. After completing the medical exams that you will be called up for and paying the relevent fee’s you will eventually be granted permanent residence which means you can work where you want and for who you want. You do sign a contract with the province you live in to agree to settle there for 5 years but its seldomly enforced.

If you arrive prepared with all the paperwork and documents you’ll need for the application and apply after six months, theres no reason you can’t hold full permanent resident status within about 16 months of arrival. Some are even quicker than that.

As for PNP companies, first decide which province you want to go to. Many many companies offer, or could arrange an LMO for a work permit.

A well written post from Robinhood that should be of great help.
All I would add is: come over and have a look round if at all possible, before you decide where to go.
If you’re in the Steinbach area; come round for a cup of tea.

ChrisArbon:
A well written post from Robinhood that should be of great help.
All I would add is: come over and have a look round if at all possible, before you decide where to go.
If you’re in the Steinbach area; come round for a cup of tea.

^^Absolutely^^. If you’re coming over by yourself and just living in the truck its not such a big deal but if you’re moving over with a wife and kids then definetely go and see where you’ll end up living and do all your home work.

If you’re coming with your family dont simply move to an isolated town just for the job. If that job isn’t what you expected you’ll then be very limited for other work that doesn’t involve commuting for hours at best, or moving house again at worst. Thats why in that situation you should come over to suss things out, find an area you like and one with a few different work options as a back up if plan A doesn’t work out.

Very good post RobinHood.BC are on the PNP but preference is being given to Mexican,East Indian and Russian applicants,don’t ask me why.
Saskatchewan has to be the target,apologies to the Manitoba Mafia,no shortage of work here whatsoever.If the OP can afford an easy ride Loblaws has to be worth a try,otherwise check out the STA(Saskatchewan Trucking Association)website for the usual suspects.Seimens in Saskatoon are on a big push for drivers,not the best kit sometimes but it’s all paid for.Trappers,Manitoulin,Arnold Bros,Bison,they’re all screaming for drivers so take your pick.

Unless you are looking for long haul.
Loblaws ; short haul. Kindersley ; mostly short haul.
Manitoulin ; Canada only. Bison, Trappers and Arnold bros are all Manitoba based companies.
I mostly run to Texas, Arizona and California with the odd Florida and when I see another Canadian truck it is nearly always Manitoba or Ontario registered or else sometimes Alberta and BC.
Except for the livestock and bulk grain boys in the Dakotas it is fairly unusual to see Saskatchewan registered trucks far south.
The only common exceptions I can think of is Yanke who are mostly teams and Saskatchewan flat deck boys hauling oil pipes out of the Houston area.
For this reason Saskatchewan would not be the province of choice for me if I had to go back to the beginning and emigrate all over again.

Whoops! Double post. Fingers to clumsy for smart phones.

Robinhood … That was a well thought out and interesting post, it was full of information and presice and to the point … I am impressed.

Pat Hasler:
Robinhood … That was a well thought out and interesting post, it was full of information and presice and to the point … I am impressed.

Thanks. I know how daunting the whole process can be espeically when you start out and dont know where to begin. I’m sure theres plenty I’ve forgotten to include too!

Thanks for replys very interesting advise,would anyone have an idea when interviews are being held over here .

flat to the mat:
Very good post RobinHood.BC are on the PNP but preference is being given to Mexican,East Indian and Russian applicants,don’t ask me why.
Saskatchewan has to be the target,apologies to the Manitoba Mafia,no shortage of work here whatsoever.If the OP can afford an easy ride Loblaws has to be worth a try,otherwise check out the STA(Saskatchewan Trucking Association)website for the usual suspects.Seimens in Saskatoon are on a big push for drivers,not the best kit sometimes but it’s all paid for.Trappers,Manitoulin,Arnold Bros,Bison,they’re all screaming for drivers so take your pick.

Ahem, Trappers…Manitoba company, Manitoulin…Ontario company, Arnold Bros and Bison…Manitoba companies. The best you can come up with in the wastelands between Alberta and Manitoba are Loblaws :laughing: and Siemens, the same Siemens who refused to buy Steptoe’s old horse because it was too modern to go into their fleet and all the drivers would be fighting over it :laughing:

Robinhood, has explained it all, but I’m sure the OP knew the PNP scheme, it was Pat that asked and he’s a plastic yank, so for the OP, the ones I can think of are H&R in Alberta, Siemens in Saskatchewan, Bison in Winnipeg, but you have to use an immigration lawyer for them and it costs you $5k. Other than that, I’m not sure. A lot of smaller companies will be able to get LMOs, so you’ll have to go on the HRSDC scheme and transfer over to PNP after 6 months, so google is your friend, find all the companies you can and get in touch. Personally I would recommend you stay up late one night and get on the phone, but you could email :wink:

Best thing to do I think would be to check out the jobs on kijiji for the revelent province. That would give a good indecation of the large and small companies looking for drivers and many job postings say that the company can organise an LMO for a foreign driver.

I think I’d be tempted to go to Manitoba. There seems to be a ton of companies there doing decent long haul work. I know very little about Saskatchewan and I dont like how the PNP application in Alberta is controlled by the employer. If you ended up at a bad company who you didn’t get along with, its then within their power to screw you over. Also, I may be wrong, but I’m sure I read that Alberta companies get fewer PNP allocations than work permits, so if they have 100 drivers on work permits, they can only nominate 75 of them for PNP so the other 25 are basically prevented from applying, or something to that effect. For me thats too big an uncertainty thats out of my control. At least in other provinces you apply your self.