Anyone gone via the Canadian PNP route?

Hi guys

I’m seriously considering applying via the Provincial Nominee Program ( Ontario or Alberta) my question is have any of you guys gone through this route for emmigrating from the UK ? and do you know any good employers out there that recruit through this way?

Just wanted to know about people’s experiences , time frames etc

I’ve just got my class 1 licence so obviously need a couple of years experience first but just making enquiries

Cheers

Almost all of us over here went through the PNP scheme.

Are there any favourable provinces in regards to trucking jobs? I’m sensing by other threads that most work is out west , Alberta, BC etc… I ideally wanna settle in Ontario

There is no PNP for truck drivers in Ontario to the best of my knowledge.

Alberta has a system where you start on the HRSDC scheme (LMO) you get a temporary work permit and the company nominates you for PNP.

BC, I don’t have a clue. Contractdriver\s your man here.

Manitoba, is best in my opinion, money is fairly good, house prices are reasonable and Winnipeg is the transport hub of Canada, no matter where you go in North America, if you see a Canadian truck, there’s a good chance it’s from Manitoba. There’s plenty of work and plenty of trucking companies to choose from. Here you can go straight onto the PNP at some companies (up to you to find out which, as I don’t know) or get an LMO and then after 6 months apply for nomination from MB under PNP.

Out East, Robinhood is your man for New Brunswick and maybe PEI and Nova Scotia.

Quebec, is another matter, as far as I can work out you have to refuse to speak English, adopt a belligerent attitude and shrug your shoulders a lot, answer every question with a firm non, eat a lot of garlic and throw away your Wife’s razors or wax strips :unamused:

Lol thanks for the info newmercman

Dont forget about the IELTS exam( English/french)…You need this to apply for PNP(after working for 6mnths if you come over on a LMO /TWP) now & eventualy Citizenship (if thats what ya want).unless you are over 55yrs then no ielts needed. I was informed that it would be wise to do it in the UK before coming over as you willl have enough on your plate with starting a new life/job etc when ya get here. jimmy.

newmercman:
There is no PNP for truck drivers in Ontario to the best of my knowledge.

Alberta has a system where you start on the HRSDC scheme (LMO) you get a temporary work permit and the company nominates you for PNP.

BC, I don’t have a clue. Contractdriver\s your man here.

Manitoba, is best in my opinion, money is fairly good, house prices are reasonable and Winnipeg is the transport hub of Canada, no matter where you go in North America, if you see a Canadian truck, there’s a good chance it’s from Manitoba. There’s plenty of work and plenty of trucking companies to choose from. Here you can go straight onto the PNP at some companies (up to you to find out which, as I don’t know) or get an LMO and then after 6 months apply for nomination from MB under PNP.

Out East, Robinhood is your man for New Brunswick and maybe PEI and Nova Scotia.

Quebec, is another matter, as far as I can work out you have to refuse to speak English, adopt a belligerent attitude and shrug your shoulders a lot, answer every question with a firm non, eat a lot of garlic and throw away your Wife’s razors or wax strips :unamused:

LMO in BC

As the the Ambassador for BC :sunglasses: I would like assist and give some timeframes and prices.

The Link at the bottom to the truckers ‘special needs’ programme i’m on, although it looks like they have changed it since i arrived here.

I didn’t do much to get here, Fox’s transport did everything after i was offered the job.

Basic Initial Stuff
I had a ‘Skype’ interview and was offered job at end of October 2012, my LMO papers arrived (by email) mid December 2012 flew to BC January 14 2013, two weeks to pass test…Feb 1st got my own truck trailer, loaded it and then followed another Truck down to Galveston Texas, Tipped re-loaded (can’t remember where!) followed him back… err then i was more or less on my own!

While in the UK I signed an employment contract and returned it by fax along with my basic personal details. About 8 weeks later they sent me a two sheet LMO, my eTickets for the 3 planes i had to catch (Newcastle to Heathrow, Heathrow to Calgary, Calgary to Cranbrook) and details of the Motel I stayed in… that was it.

I got asked to get a criminal records check to show in Canada or the USA (Acro Police report cost 45 quid) and that was all i did!

I got off the plane in Calgary, went through Passport control, went to the ‘immigration’ booths, showed my LMO and Passport, the ‘immigration’ man asked me about Manchester United, Newcastle United, Alan Shearer and whether Geordies should be allowed into Canada, he stapled a two year work permit into my passport and that was it… apart from having to pay $150 to a cashier round the corner… then i got my flight to Cranbrook in the smallest plane in the world :open_mouth: .

I think in BC I/the company can apply after 10 months, although some say a year…I will tell you in 7 months! :grimacing:

P.S: The BC Ambassadors wife and child are joining me at the end of this month :smiley: … time to crack open the champagne and have a ferreo rocher moment! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

PPS: I forgot to say that although Fox’s transport is in BC but they only run loads out of Edmonton area in Alberta to the USA, I think Alberta is where a the main Trucking job’s are.

Contractdriver, thanks for the info! Sounds easy enough

Quick question for you Contractdriver…Bit cheeky but are you able to tell us how much you spent, in total, from the start of your quest to turning the wheel once employed in Canada? (including accomodation costs whilst you went through training and testing).

Thanks

Tazbug

Ah, apologies bud…i’ve just read your other post ‘Whatsitlike’.

Nice motor by the way :smiley:

Tazbug

I came out in 2004 as a PNP to Manitoba, but that was when you did not need a job offer just proof of experiance. If its Ontario your looking at, I would suggest contacting Challanger logistics group in Kichiner. when i worked for them they even had drivers with no experiance at all, they provide the training ect. However for me with many years experiance i found them to be rather condisending, but hey it could be a foot in the door. Another company i have heard is hiring is Loblaw in Regina, SK. They just hired 40 Brits who fly out this month. It takes around 3 to 4 months for them to get the visas. Look out for Loblaw recruting in the UK. ( I dont know when or where so try emailing or calling them direct)
I wish you luck, cheers John.