Employment in Canada

I am wanting to emigrate to canada and looking for a company with a Lmo, I am looking at either British Columbia or Alberta does any one know of anyone hiring, I want to avoid the likes of h&r and west can, any hints or tips or advise would be great.

The easy way loopholes are being closed, so H&R are probably your best bet. Go there, keep under the radar and move on when you get PR :wink:

Is there any such companies in Ontario

No , Ontario aren’t on the program .

You can get an LMO in Ontario, but there’s no PNP or PR. Angela who posts on here was out there and moved to Manitoba. She will know more obviously, I only know what she put on here.

There is a PNP program in Ontario but Truck Driver is, currently, not on the list. Though I heard someone saying it was going to be. I doubt this though. The job list for Ontario PNP is basically the same as the federal skilled immigration list. Keep a close eye on the CIC website though because the rules and criteria change all the time and they don’t tell you about it. It’s down to you to know what is going on. :slight_smile:

I first spoke to the Ontario Trucking Association in 2004 , they said they were pushing to get truckers accepted onto the program , glad I didn’t hold my breath :unamused:

I been told check out driverschoice.ca might be able to help you out.

Hi
I am currently going through a uk based recruiter call truckincanada so far everything seems to be going well just waiting for paperwork ( dvlc and crb ) hoping to be out there for end of May flights, training, visa, lmo are all paid for just have to pay for work permit upon entry to Canada plus a reasonable fee to recruiter will be working with c&j trucking any feedback on these guys would be helpful.

I may have read this wrong but you say you paid for your visa and LMO you just need to pay for your work permit?
Well you don’t need a visa and an LMO is your work permit so not sure what you are paying for. It is never a good idea to use an agent it is easy enough to do yourself and apart from your flight ( which you get back when you get your LMO) does not cost anything.

Both permits I’ve had the company have paid for the flight is part of the condition of LMO that they supply a return flight ticket. I heard a rumor that LMOs now cost the company but that shouldn’t be passed on.

You still have to pay $150 for a work permit, all an LMO gives you is the right to get a work permit as the job cannot be filled by a Canadian. When you switch to PNP and your permit runs out before you get PR, it costs $150 again.

Mine expired three weeks before I got PR, my wife’s permit was up on the same day too obviously, I had two work permits, one for driving, the other for my journo stuff, so that was $450 in cold blood for three weeks, I had a week off work too and didn’t do any journo stuff in that three week period.

Still you can claim for it on your taxes…

Neil1x:
Hi
I am currently going through a uk based recruiter call truckincanada so far everything seems to be going well just waiting for paperwork ( dvlc and crb ) hoping to be out there for end of May flights, training, visa, lmo are all paid for just have to pay for work permit upon entry to Canada plus a reasonable fee to recruiter will be working with c&j trucking any feedback on these guys would be helpful.[/quote

MAYDAY , STOP RIGHT NOW AND DO NOT PAY A CENT !!! Why on earth are you even considering paying money to a faceless name to drive a truck in Canada ? They’re screwing you over , hope your return flights are paid .

He is getting training out of it too, most firms charge a couple of grand for that, so it might be a bit dear, but if you get a class one and a job out of it…

Besides with the amount of people either going home or jumping ship after a few months, it was only a matter of time before firms started wanting the money up front, rather than leaving it to be paid when you left. There have been a few court cases where the firms have lost after stopping wages to pay for training etc when someone leaves, so this way they don’t get knocked.

From that £3000 payable no money changes hands till I’ve seen flight tickets and written offer of employment. After 6 months I get $500 loyalty bonus then 6 months later another $500 then at the 2 year point $1000 so from my outlay of £3000 I get back $2000 so it actually only costs me about £1400 allowing for exchange rates for flights, driver training U.K. Support and the guys knowledge on the subject which I think is not that bad a deal. But then again I would think that because I want to there and not here.

Neil1x:
From that £3000 payable no money changes hands till I’ve seen flight tickets and written offer of employment. After 6 months I get $500 loyalty bonus then 6 months later another $500 then at the 2 year point $1000 so from my outlay of £3000 I get back $2000 so it actually only costs me about £1400 allowing for exchange rates for flights, driver training U.K. Support and the guys knowledge on the subject which I think is not that bad a deal. But then again I would think that because I want to there and not here.

So long as your eyes are wide open then fine . The written offer of employment is valid in terms of visa application , worthless as a binding contract , and I’ll bet you your $1000 that you don’t reach the 2 year mark with them .
Not trying to rain on your parade just saying how it is . Best of luck however .

I was going to say that he wasn’t going to be picking up that grand, chances are he’ll be long gone before that’s due.

There are a lot of firms with LMOs that wait until the new arrivals have done their licence and got a bit of experience at some other company’s expense.

Most of them are better jobs than the ‘importers’ and many newbies end up moving to those companies within the first few months.

Out of interest what other companies have Lmos and wait for the experience, my eldest son is nearly 18 and so I need to get out to canada quickly, I need to find a decent company that I can stay with for a couple of years until the pr comes through, I have been offered employment by h and r but if it is true about no support with pr then I would be wasting my time, which companies would support you with pr? I haven’t got time to mess about with crap companies and move about I need to get it right first time, or would it be better to get out and get my licence through h and r then move on straight away, I am also seeing watt and Stewart and westcan when I come over next week is there anything I should be aware of about them?

Terryx6:
Out of interest what other companies have Lmos and wait for the experience, my eldest son is nearly 18 and so I need to get out to canada quickly, I need to find a decent company that I can stay with for a couple of years until the pr comes through, I have been offered employment by h and r but if it is true about no support with pr then I would be wasting my time, which companies would support you with pr? I haven’t got time to mess about with crap companies and move about I need to get it right first time, or would it be better to get out and get my licence through h and r then move on straight away, I am also seeing watt and Stewart and westcan when I come over next week is there anything I should be aware of about them?

I could be wrong , but it used to be the case that if you changed employers before being granted PR you had to start the application process all over again . No company support is needed for PR though , just got to find a company you can tolerate working for until the shackles are released .
Have not heard any negative comments about W and S , they’d be my choice over Westcan fwiw .Hope this makes sense , bit woolly headed this morning :laughing:

flat to the mat:
I could be wrong , but it used to be the case that if you changed employers before being granted PR you had to start the application process all over again . No company support is needed for PR though , just got to find a company you can tolerate working for until the shackles are released .
Have not heard any negative comments about W and S , they’d be my choice over Westcan fwiw .Hope this makes sense , bit woolly headed this morning :laughing:

I know in NB you can change jobs before you get PR and it doesn’t affect any thing so long as you clear it first with the PNP office who just issue a new piece of paperwork with the new company on it. I know a few drivers who’ve done it and its actually easier, because they already have PNP they don’t need an LMO for the next company they move to while they await their PR.

As for Alberta, don’t you need your employer to effectively sponsor you for PNP in that province and if they wont’ then you can’t apply for PNP/PR without it?