Employment in Canada

Both the companies I’ve worked for have paid for the work permit. As for the PR in AB the company offers sponsorship after you have been with them for 6 months if you change employers then the 6 months start again

taffytrucker:
Both the companies I’ve worked for have paid for the work permit. As for the PR in AB the company offers sponsorship after you have been with them for 6 months if you change employers then the 6 months start again

In NB it used to be that you could apply for PNP after six months of employment at a company but that has since changed to 12 months. If you changed jobs before that time then the clock started from zero but if you already obtain PNP then you can change jobs without it affecting your PR application and the PNP office issue you with new documentation to take to the border to obtain a new TWP for the new company without the need for an LMO.

Right then. Alberta are currently running AT LEAST six months behind for PNP nominations. Couple reasons why which are not too important right now. There is also a waiting list for the English test so try to get that done in the UK before you come.

Watt and Stewart are hiring but the work is crap because there is a lot of lost time on the oversize, and I mean a lot. Money is lousy too. And the boss is more interested in other things it seems. Longest layover I’ve heard of this year is 12 days sat in SC.

H&R are not the ogres they seem to be but are no angels. Absurdly ■■■■ about their satellite messages and such. You can do ok there but stay as far away from the produce work as you can. An interesting aside, they can get LMOs in manitoba as well.

Walters are looking again. Long hours on livestock though and you’ll earn every penny in a hard way.

BC, I’d forget it were I you. It’s hard to get a good gig, the roads get shut half the year so you lose miles and you’ll either find yourself hammering to Toronto or down the west coast.

Truth is that either SK or MB offer the greatest variety and the best chance of good miles and home time. NB will have you either running east coast or doing a huge triangle.

You can now take the English test in Lethbridge as well as other cities and no list from what I can gather talking to guys
. Not all of Walters is cattle only a small % of the trucks do that grain work is hot n sweaty with the summer coming up and the equipment side is growing.

Guys I know at watts are happy as Larry yea lose a bit of time waiting for reload but don’t lose time with oversized it’s light for 14hrs or so of the day atm yea in the winter down to 8 hrs or so of the day until you get into SK.

Stay away from produce at H&R■■? No matter what you get there you’re in for a wait loading and tipping

How many at watt have said they’ll stay there after pr? I know of one guy hasn’t been home in 5 months. Another who sat 9 days one month and 6 the next. That’s not losing a bit of time. Also, you get curfewed in many states. Again, not a bit of time sat from noon Friday till 7 am Monday.

The h&r thing. Well if you stay away from the west coast work and are happy to run the east then you lose far less time. I know as I did it half a year and I think I lost 2 or 3 days.

The grain work at Walters is awful as any grain work. Again, lots of lost hours.

I do grain work and its not so bad. Okay it may not pay as good as some of the other types of work, but I’m home every weekend (sometimes finishing on a Thursday) and sometimes the odd night during the week as well. Its a good home/work balance for me.

So who has LMOs in MB?

H&R we know is a gamble as to whether you survive or not.

Agritel, which I’ve heard bad things about, it’s produce out of TX, AZ or CA into Loblaws, enough said.

From what I hear BFS don’t have any, Bison are not going down that route ATM and nor are TransX.

Trappers appear to be looking further east than Europe for new recruits.

Trappers will take UK drivers, whether they have LMO"s or not, I don’t know.
I got an English mate there and there are some Irish lads on with them.
They don’t pay for the first load/drop or waiting time, the mileage pays I think 38c/mile Canada and 40c/mile US.
My mate gets all the miles he wants, he’s not stood long.

The only time trappers used to stop is when they got captured at a scale, but I thought that had all changed now. When I was at Brandt’s their drivers used to give us dirty looks, some old rivalry probably over Brandt’s having more chrome and lights :laughing:

I was chatting to one of their drivers, he was on his first trip for them, a very young looking Russian dude, said there were more joining him soon.

Everything’s by the book there, but he can max his hours all the time, resets when and wherever necessary.
He also get’s his backload info on the outward journey when running US, so no hanging around like some companies waiting for backloads.

It doesn’t make sense with the exchange rate making the USD expensive, but there is a massive amount of freight coming back north from the US, even the biggest idiot could have reloads sorted before the truck heads south and I’m living proof of that :laughing:

It’s good news for us though as it means there’s plenty of miles available and now the weather has improved the construction industry picks up the pace and throw even more loads out there.

Of course fuel prices will rise, so nobody will become an overnight millionaire, but we’ll all be busy for a while…

It might seem that Construction is booming but in MB,even with the government giving big projects a push but house building is well down, and a couple of the big boys in quarrying /concrete are suffering in a big way with the loss of major contracts to out of province companies.
The ban on building hog barns & chicken barns is hurting everyone as well.
transx use an agent in winnipeg .(kijiji winnipeg lmo s available etc … and you are placed through an agent).
jimmy

Go into Winnipeg Jimmy there’s a building boom there, around the south perimeter the houses are almost down to the road. When I arrived here 6yrs ago it was just fields (I sound like a old man there)

That’s private construction, which does appear to be booming. Your game is more civil engineering which may be on its knees as you say.

The state of the roads is a good indicator of that and they are in a shocking state, I’m convinced the Mayor or Winnipeg has shares in a shock absorber manufacturer as his roads beat the ■■■■ out of your vehicle.

There’s a 2 - 2 1/2 mth waiting list for the Cel-pip test and about the same for the Ielts test in Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton, the bigger cities but no wait in the likes of Fort McMurray, don’t know about Lethbridge, that wasn’t on the list of places to take it when I booked.
Both of these tests can be booked online and you get a choice of dates and venues.
I chose the Cel-pip test because all you do with them is turn up on time with the payment and 2 forms of picture ID, they do all the photo’s and paperwork on the day.
Whereas the Ielts was going to be a PITA, get photo’s done and signed by a professional whatever, get photocopies of ID, and send it all with the payment to Montreal for processing, then they let you know if you can do it on your chosen date.

Bfs can get them but are really peculiar about it. Transx can and will get them but only on very strong recommendation really. Schroeder can and do but they’ve had issues with advertising. Kleysen were getting them. Searcy told someone I know well that they would but it’s open to question. Paul’s hauling were getting them but you’d need to contact them. They were putting drivers out in Brandon doing ammonia. H&R are, and I can you how to do fairly well there as I did work there.

In sk you have Siemens, loblaw, etc.

There’s a potential new boy in Alberta coming up that has a great package for drivers but it isn’t up and done yet.

:unamused:

aye NMM civil (well uncivil) but especially over your way the boom /prices etc are causing problems in housebuilding ,a5% drop in permits has happened and according to talk its the price that is killing the market as a single person cant afford to buy.
The over capacity of redi mix companies east of the A75 and the lack of business is causing some very unrealistic pricing.
The upcoming closure of the 23 east bridge at Morris will keep someone going … as will the renewal of the A75 at Abigny (over the next few years)(cough cough).
imo one of the big union players will cut depots in the next year.
jimmy.

the information i received from a guy that applied to transx/pauls as a twp on a lmo(through kijiji wpeg) is that you go through Lubo at ideal driver training and all lmos at transx are filled at the minute.

The houses that are going up are mostly big places, so $400k and up, whole new estates, where the people buying them from are coming I have no idea, same with all the apartment blocks sprouting up, there are no new factories or anything so where are all these people working? The job market is not particularly great, there are jobs out there, but not many paying enough to buy a $400k house or $1200 a month rent.

Deckx will hire on lmo by recommendation. They will only hire from Europe now, preferably the uk.