anyone remember these tamworth firms

Tamworth1:

Bewick:
Has anyone got any shots of Smith Bros.,those Black Atki 8 wheel tippers.I always thought they were a decent operation and didn’t union trouble cause them to close, I seem to remember reading about it.Cheers Bewick.

I dont have any shots but there was an article in one of the classic truck mags which was all about one of there mechanics from years ago a chap called Graham Blakeman and plenty of pictures, yes they did have union trouble they closed and then restarted as CTS

Thanks for that T1 cheers Bewick.

heres one of cts

Great picture Craig D about time you put some more on, that CTS F7 looks brand new and parked outside the large sheds that now house the baling machines of Smurfit Kappa.

Clarkes service vans from the 90’s

scan0094.jpg

scan0032.jpg

I still see a Clarkes van down the A5 regularly! Any of Ralph Coleman when he was based at Grendon? Or Millichamps of Atherstone, used to run Fodens back in the day (the owner was my grandads cousin).

Jacko123:
I still see a Clarkes van down the A5 regularly! Any of Ralph Coleman when he was based at Grendon? Or Millichamps of Atherstone, used to run Fodens back in the day (the owner was my grandads cousin).

The Clarkes vans use the A5 every day carring out mobile service work at Smurfit Kappa and Aldi.
Sorry i don’t have any pictures of the other companies you mentioned

my dads,stuart deeley 1635 (tamworth) and simon sargents roadtrain(atherstone)waiting to load in canfranc on the french spanish border simons 2 yr old magnum garry georges daf 105 (Dordon nr tamworth) a few more old stuart deeley motorsfoden still going strong ian mckerlie (polesworth nr tamworth)

CRAIG-D:
my dads,stuart deeley 1635 (tamworth) and simon sargents roadtrain(atherstone) simons 2 yr old magnum garry georges daf 105 (Dordon nr tamworth) a few more old stuart deeley motorsfoden still going strong ian mckerlie (polesworth nr tamworth)

i can remember the ford cargo, that was used on a ashby to west hallam shunt for united biscuits in the early 90s,ian mckerlie also did the same job as well,along with a few other owner drivers,dave bott from melbourne,kelvin tivey from coalville,nicco from coalville,and a italian we called gonzo who had a old left ■■■■■■ merc that was he was always repairing at the side of the road.

Great pictures Craig i remember the cargo and the powerliners always very well turned out, i also remember Ian McKerlie’s Volvo which looked like one of Hayton Coulthards when it was coming towards you.

Tilford Transport from Lichfield road industrial estate.

Smurfit Kappa Tamworth 6x4 Hook Lift.

scan0060.jpg

After well over 50 years as haulage contractors J. Clarke Transport Ltd brought the curtain down on its haulage side of the business for the last time in 2005, rising fuel and running costs all contributed to this as it has to so many other haulage contractors. Clarkes carried on with the HGV service and repair side of the business at Elford and now run a modern contract hire and rental fleet as below.

scan0061.jpg

scan0053.jpg

scan0078.jpg

scan0073.jpg

scan0068.jpg

scan0057.jpg

scan0056.jpg

P J Trans from Amington

scan0071.jpg

didnt steve tilford work for wm rowes at some point … do you have any pics of the f6 tractor units swish had ? i remember them being short w/b and on steel so used to bounce u off the seat when solo yes rich12 ub work that was o few years ago now …ian mc kerlie is still going he has a s reg super space daf hes had from new i speak to him quite regular hes doing containers out of birch coppice now i thinks trying to see what gives up first him or the truck lol

CRAIG-D:
didnt steve tilford work for wm rowes at some point … do you have any pics of the f6 tractor units swish had ? i remember them being short w/b and on steel so used to bounce u off the seat when solo yes rich12 ub work that was o few years ago now …ian mc kerlie is still going he has a s reg super space daf hes had from new i speak to him quite regular hes doing containers out of birch coppice now i thinks trying to see what gives up first him or the truck lol

the last time i saw ian was when he still had the sed ak strato,i think he had that from new.i used to see it parked in the safeway depot at tamworth sometimes,that must have been about 15 yrs ago.

ians daf is the painted the same as the strato was, i drove that a few times when ian had it standing and we needed another truck it used to fly ,he now parks at roadway containers and comes down to our yard to wash off

a few of chippys transport …well turned out fleet no but no longer in transport not sure why they have come out back to front lol

CRAIG-D:

Hi Craig, Steve Tilford worked for clarke’s in the 70’s if I remember right he had a Sedi Atki which I have not come across any photo’s. Believe it or not I can’t find any Swish F6 photo’s and yes the ride was bad but not as bad as a solo Roadtrain!
Is the Chippy Scania tractor unit the one 1 Les Houseman had?

top photos craig,i remember les houseman bringing his trucks home i used to help his lad steve wash it when we were kids.when i worked for b&s traction services we parked in chippy,s yard,les works for debens on containers otta bift now and ian mac is a subbie for rcl outta bift

the scania tractor unit is one les had from new when he left chris moved up from a 4 wheeler to the artic which he wrote off up in scotland its replacement was a streamline (not found any pics of that one) my dad asked if steve tilford was there when i was at rowes the other day when i was on about this site …cheers carl it think B&S were parking in chippys yard after i left blakey when he was in chippys workshop and went to briers …i know i took some pics of briers trucks over the 4yrs i was there but i dont think i had the film developed and now carnt find the film