Does anyone remember RF & G Bowman and Bowman's Transpor

RF & G Bowman and Bowman’s transport opereated out of the same yard in Mansfield originally, but Bowman’s Transport later moved to Huthwaite, Notts, where still operate today. Does anyone have any pictures of any Bowman’s trucks. My Dad worked for them from 1981-1993 although I have some pictures of his trucks, I would like to find out more about the company if anyone remember and any pictures if anyone has any.

Chris

I remember Bowmans Transport.If it’s the same one they did a lot of motorway maintenance work and road planing.Nice to know they haven’t “pulled t’pin” and are still going. :slight_smile: I’m sure there’s a pic of 'em on here somewhere.

F10/Chris.If you look on the photo forum January 7th under Bonkeydollocks “building roads Derbyshire style” there’s a photo of a Bowman’s Dodge 4-wheeler.

There used to be a Ray Bowman that did Spain,but I think he came from Durham .

kerbut:
There used to be a Ray Bowman that did Spain,but I think he came from Durham .

There was also Dorothy from Brandon who ran a tight ship.

I thought the Worksop company was Bowring

There is also a company called Bowring’s in Mansfield. They operate green liveried ERF’s. My Dad drove there after passing his HGV test in the sixties and had their first artic for a while.

Ray & Dot husband & wife Ray just drove for himself Dot ran the rest did mostly Spain but you would often see Dot loading trailers in Wavins Durham. Not the Bowmans hes looking for I think Wheelnut, Dont think Ray is still doing it probably retired by now.

Hey Greek

Yeah Ray and Dorothy did do Spain - they used to have a few motors on for MacAndrews/Andrew Weir at the same time as us. Dorothy was an absolute charmer - no flies on her, and many a driverwas scared by her. Ray quite often drove one of the motors - I think to escape Dot. Those were the good old days when the industry had plenty of characters and there was always a craic about the job…

Once thought about working for her but you could never get home. She was always sending changeovers down to Cherbourg.Plus the money was crap :exclamation:

Hi, Bowmans transport Mansfield still going strong running out of Huthwaite changed most of the tippers for flats approx 30 in total.
RF & G Bowman still running two volvo 8 wheel tippers out of loacal quarry in Mansfield .
Still family business ( Fact)

Yes the 2 tippers that run out of Ratcher Hill quarry are Roger and Geoff Bowman, who owned RF & G Bowman.

Its been a small world this week. I was in Sutton in Ashfield on Monday and was overtaken by a maroon Bowmans followed by a green Bowring truck. :stuck_out_tongue:

Both totally unrelated,

Greek.
I used to deliver pvc powder into Wavin and if anyone had any problems, the night watchman would call Dorothy Bowman and she would come clutching spanners, trolley jacks or anything else that was required.

I met a couple of nice people driving a Bowman truck for Macandrews. They were a couple but she was his brothers wife if you get my drift. We were weekended at GM Opel in Zaragoza and got absolutely drunk as lords and ladies
:stuck_out_tongue:
I nicked a moped and got locked inside the pool complex :smiley:

Dot was OK with everybody even let one of our lads (Armstrongs) use her apartment in Spain for a Holiday.
But working for her was a little different :laughing: :laughing:
I think they did quite a bit to Zaragoza with the car parts I think :exclamation:

I was chatting to a Bowring driver last night over a quick beer and this subject came up as did a few others. I got the low down on the EJ Meeks operation and the fact that son of Meeks owned lots of shares in other transport companies and is now sunning himself abroad.

Im not sure if all the stories were true but it sounded like the Miners Unions and the National Coal Board along with Richard Budge & Richard Meeks all played a big hand in closing more pits than the Conservatives

Mr MJM:
Hey Greek

Yeah Ray and Dorothy did do Spain - they used to have a few motors on for MacAndrews/Andrew Weir at the same time as us. Dorothy was an absolute charmer - no flies on her, and many a driverwas scared by her. Ray quite often drove one of the motors - I think to escape Dot. Those were the good old days when the industry had plenty of characters and there was always a craic about the job…

On my first trip to spain, on the way back i had a blow out, i was 21 and a bit puny, ray pulled over and said could he help, i said that he should carry on as i didnt want him to miss his ferry as we were about 3 hrs from the boat his reply was that there was another ferry tomorrow and to put the kettle on as i wouldnt be a lot of use helping to change the tyre, to cut a long story short i ended up making tea and biscuits for about 8 guys who also stpopped cos ray had, i was 21 and that was 20 yrs ago now and i still remeber it well, a true gentleman

My Dad used to drive for RF & G Bowman. He had a brand new back in the day G reg FL10 and before that a F12. He used to do Mansfield Brewery work, Barrs pop also in Mansfield plus other general haulage. RF&G Bowmans were more red and blue. The Bowmans your all talking about was Tony Bowmans now run by his son Pete Bowman. If anyone has any pics of old Bowmans lorries please post them.

deleted

Wheel Nut:
I was chatting to a Bowring driver last night over a quick beer and this subject came up as did a few others. I got the low down on the EJ Meeks operation and the fact that son of Meeks owned lots of shares in other transport companies and is now sunning himself abroad.

Im not sure if all the stories were true but it sounded like the Miners Unions and the National Coal Board along with Richard Budge & Richard Meeks all played a big hand in closing more pits than the Conservatives

I don’t recall a Richard Meeks. There was Eric and his two sons David and Robin, who took over the British Coal Transport, David was the whizz kid and Robin the accountant, they all had their fingers in lots of pies. When they set up National Plant & Transport Ltd they bought Hillsdown Distribution a large fridge operator which had depots all over the country. They even built and ran a bagging plant for ICI at Buxton.
The whole lot went bust eventually, something to do with tax, and there was a buy out by Mick North and Mick Berrisford to form J M Transport Ltd