How ironic :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

warrior of rome series by Harry Sidebottom

Eric Myers Devils Guard Series
Blood and Iron
Blood and Snow

The Devils Guard - The real story
The Devils Guard - Vietnam
The Devils Guard - Counter Attack

Both Peter Kay and Michael Mcintyre’s autobiographies are good reads if you like their stand ups, gave me a good giggle.

I love all of Andy McNab and Chris Ryan stuff both fiction and non fiction. I can’t put em down when I start that’s the sign of a good book Chris Eyan has just bought a new non fiction novel out and I’m 150 pages in and I started on Monday :smiley:
I’ve read every book both of these have fetched out. The good thing with their non fiction is that it’s so believe able as they have been there, done that and got the t-shirt so to speak.

Another vote for Lee Childs Reacher series, Jack Higgins Dillon series though I like all the Jack Higgins stuff and the most recent was Operation Mayhem by Steve Heaney MC. It’s a real life account of Pathfinders operating in Sierra Leone that I read in one sitting.

Last fiction novel I couldn’t put down was Bomber by Len Deighton. Absolutely gripping.

cheekymonkey:
Just finished"The Railway Man" a guy’s story of his experiences at the hands of the maps in Burma. Forget his name sorry. Brilliant book well written.

Written by Eric Lomax and last year made into a film with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman. Haven’t read the book but enjoyed the film.

Kolymsky Heights by Lionel Davidson

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Chris Ryan stuff
I’ve read every book both of these have fetched out. The good thing with their non fiction is that it’s so believe able as they have been there, done that and got the t-shirt so to speak.

Check out the “Strikeback” series, think there is 3 of them. Brilliant. His books brought to life If you havent already

Just finished ‘I Am Pilgrim’, by Terry Hayes.

Fantastic exciting realistic and frightening, best book i’ve read for many a year, near enough 900 pages so something to get your teeth into.

If you fancy something funny and different, though now fairly old, try some of Tom Sharpe’s, i recommend Wilt, The Wilt Alternative (one of the funniest books i’ve read), Wilt on High and if you didn’t happen to catch the BBC mini television series of the book (massive early career boost for David Suchet and Geraldine James) do find Blott On The Landscape, marvellous stuff.

Anything by Frederick Forsyth or Tom Clancy.

A colouring in book is fun :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

‘The Theory of Everything. The Origin and Fate of the Universe’ by Stephen Hawkins is rather decent. In fact, I’ve seldom read a better book. In fact, it’s brilliant!

Read it.

Now.

:smiley:

A lot of people have read but if you haven’t then Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code and Inferno (Dan Brown) are good.

How about the Highway Code.?

Kaistar:
A lot of people have read but if you haven’t then Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code and Inferno (Dan Brown) are good.

+1

If you like subtle wit then John le Carre’s novels are superb.

alamcculloch:
How about the Highway Code.?

Been mentioned twice in fact

Jack Reacher by Lee Childs

The Katharine Dance books by Jeffery Deaver

Sheila Quigley is good plenty by her

Some of Chris Ryan books are good

Keeley Armstrong

The Bible

Dawn Patrol by Geoffrey Wellum.
He was a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot and it covers his life from Joining the Air Force at 18 just before the out break of WWII. until just after the Battle of Britain.
Brilliantly written, I couldn’t put it down when reading about his dog fights, but even some of his training flights will have you on the edge of your seat. I could relate to some of the training stuff having learned to fly a glider in the Air Cadets many many years ago.

I believe he’s still alive and I’ve seen him interviewed on telly a few times in recent years, as with all of these men they play down their bravery and achievements.

muckles:
Dawn Patrol by Geoffrey Wellum.
He was a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot and it covers his life from Joining the Air Force at 18 just before the out break of WWII. until just after the Battle of Britain.
Brilliantly written, I couldn’t put it down when reading about his dog fights, but even some of his training flights will have you on the edge of your seat. I could relate to some of the training stuff having learned to fly a glider in the Air Cadets many many years ago.

I believe he’s still alive and I’ve seen him interviewed on telly a few times in recent years, as with all of these men they play down their bravery and achievements.

just out of interest as my daughters joining the cadets next week. How safe is the glider thing?

Birdsong is fabulous…its a book I can read time and time again

Anything by Ian Rankin, Jeffrey Deaver and Jo Nesbo

A new author for me is Dana Stabenow - so far very good

Mark Billingham is also very enthralling - a very good story teller…