Books

Despite rumours I do read some books that dont have trucks or saucy pictures in them, :wink:

This week I have read Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzalas, it is a fairly unique novel based on a on-line computer game (which I also play)

Sounds boring?

Well if you have zero interest in Sci Fi it probably will be, however if your imagination does stretch that far, or you play www.eve-online.com then I have to say it is a brilliant read.

Certainly already playing the game will give you some insight to the story, but it does work well as a stand alone novel It has my reccomendation

(and if anyone here does play Eve , No Im am not telling my character name , I have no desire to be podded time and time again)

What books are you reading/read recently that you can reccomend

Me Mam just sent me The World According To Clarkson I’m going to start it tomorrow…hope it’s funny :smiley:

Thoroughly recommend, any of the “Jack Reacher” novels by Lee Child, theres about 12 in total, absolutely brilliant reading, anyone else read them?

I like the Jack Reacher books too. Also i’ve just finished the last of the Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser. 12 in total and they were fantastic reading.

Harry Potter.

what a read they are. brilliantly written and not just for kids either!

bugcos:
Thoroughly recommend, any of the “Jack Reacher” novels by Lee Child, theres about 12 in total, absolutely brilliant reading, anyone else read them?

I also read these and agree with everything that has been said.

I only read wine, food and travel books nowadays. Oh and Clarkson books, local history and anything to do with ships with sails.

Come to think of it, I love reading, anything actually…

I am a great fan of Patricia Cornwell.
If you like murders solved by autopsies and forensics then you cant go wrong. Brilliant - I am hooked on them

I agree with the comments about Lee Child’s “Reacher” books, but keeping it on a wagon theme I thoroughly enjoyed reading “Truckers North - Truckers South” by Leslie Purdon. Our very own Coffeeholic’s book - “Coffee to go” is well worth reading too :wink: . I found “Cola Cowboys” to be ok if you engaged the bullshine filter first, and certainly wouldn’t pay the inflated prices it seems to be fetching on E-bay, I got mine from the local library for the cost of of the online reservation fee (60p).
If you want something different try “Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett, a brilliant book! It sounds like it would be truly awful and highbrow (it’s mainly about a stonemason’s quest to build a cathedral, but I found it enthralling, as did others as it made it into the top 10 of most popular books in a recent survey. The follow up “World Without End” is excellent too (but read it after the first one) .
If you like detective books then try the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. (The Lincoln Lawyer, The Poet, etc).
I have just finished a fascinating book called “Riding the Edge” by Dave Barr. It is the story of an american ex soldier (who lost both his legs from above the knee in a land mine explosion) who decided to ride round the world on a motorbike to prove that being disabled does not mean you have to sit at home and feel sorry for yourself. You might think that this is no big deal, but he did it on a 1972 Harley Davidson. Not exactly the natural choice of steed for this sort of journey! The only serious modification he had to have done to the bike was to have it fitted with an electric starter as obviously he couldn’t use the kickstart with his artificial legs! Most of the journey was completed without much in the way of sponsorship or back-up like Ewan & Charlie had, but he did visit most of the “Leonard Cheshire homes” around the world.