Any good book recommendations?

Piston broke:
Birdsong is fabulous…its a book I can read time and time again

Anything by Ian Rankin, Jeffrey Deaver and Jo Nesbo

A new author for me is Dana Stabenow - so far very good

Mark Billingham is also very enthralling - a very good story teller…

Sorry but have to disagree with the Mark Billingham I just cant get into him

Fulham FC:

muckles:
Dawn Patrol by Geoffrey Wellum.
He was a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot and it covers his life from Joining the Air Force at 18 just before the out break of WWII. until just after the Battle of Britain.
Brilliantly written, I couldn’t put it down when reading about his dog fights, but even some of his training flights will have you on the edge of your seat. I could relate to some of the training stuff having learned to fly a glider in the Air Cadets many many years ago.

I believe he’s still alive and I’ve seen him interviewed on telly a few times in recent years, as with all of these men they play down their bravery and achievements.

just out of interest as my daughters joining the cadets next week. How safe is the glider thing?

I believe the Air Cadets are the biggest glider organisation in the World, every week around the Country loads of cadets get to fly either on experience flights or once they’re a bit older training to go solo without a problem.

It’s about 15 years since I stopped being an instructor at my local cadet sqn, but my main role was to teach the new cadets the basics about flying, gliding and shooting procedures. so they knew what to expect and would understand the safety drills for these activities. They had to do this and pass an exam before they took part in any of these things.

Of course there are risks, but probably safer than her journey to school everyday. joining the Cadets was a great thing for me, I made some great friends, some who are still great friends some 30 years later. and did some great things that most teenagers would never get to do, including flying a glider solo, flights in RAF Air Sea Rescue helicopters. and loads of other stuff.

I’d encourage her to give it a go and a bit of time, I nearly left after a few weeks, but my dad told me to stick it for a bit longer, as usual he was bloody right. :laughing:

animal:

Piston broke:
Birdsong is fabulous…its a book I can read time and time again

Anything by Ian Rankin, Jeffrey Deaver and Jo Nesbo

A new author for me is Dana Stabenow - so far very good

Mark Billingham is also very enthralling - a very good story teller…

Sorry but have to disagree with the Mark Billingham I just cant get into him

Each to their own, Animal :smiley:

Another I’ve just thought of for the OP is The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May

Just finished bravo six zero. Sf team sent intp iraq on mission impossible and nearly cost them their livea. 60 sf and 100,000 enemy. No they didn’t kill them all…good read if thats the kind of books you’re into

just out of interest as my daughters joining the cadets next week. How safe is the glider thing?

well I got my glider pilots licence at 16 mate and its as safe as it can be…checked the same way a pilot checks an aircraft. Spaceys dont do anything not risk assessed. Cadets is a great thing to be part of and they do far more then most kids their age…

Plague Dogs by Richard Adams is good.

Three men in a boat by Jerome K. Jerome - reads like was written last week. Very funny.

Propellerhead by Antony Woodward - a really funny account of being in your twenties, struggling endlessly to chase girls, living with a flat mate, and in in their case, buying into the new 1980s craze of “microlights” as a sport in which to attract girls. Really funny and accessible book, mainly because the guy was so crap at doing it :smiley:

Five weeks in a balloon by Jules Verne

Fate is the hunter by Earnest K Gann. Legendary book for those who like transport.

Edward Rutherford books are very good, especially Sarum, London, and The Forest. Each one is set in a specific location and revolves around a few families over a period of hundreds or thousands of years, following their descendants through history.

Ken Follett, especially Pillars of the Earth and World without End.

Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes, Encounter with Tiber. Story about mans first contact with ET, but done in a very human and scientific way. I’ve read it about 20 times now, and still keep going back to it.

Also, a couple if books which were recommended on here a whole back: The German Job, and The Journey, both centred around a truck driver called John Slater. They’re on the kindle store, and well worth a read. Written by Dave Furlong, ex-truck journalist. The journey is a very unusual story - I won’t spoil the surprise, but it’s quite a unique read.

Gary

seth 70:
Anybody got the guy martin autobiography .what do you reckon to it :question: :question: im not one for books but i fancy that one.

Read it and it’s great if you like bikes/real road racing/trucks/Martin himself. Very revealing, surprising in places and a good read. You can just hear him in the book - “He’s handy with a spanner”.

Anything by Stephen King

The Rothmans Football year book

An ex musician called Chris Stewart, who left Genisis before they were famous, his book “Driving over lemons” is worth reading.
He moved to Andulucia,near Olviga Spain.
Bought a small holding by a river in a deep valley.
He used to rent out a shepherds cottage that belongs to him.
A true story on the hardship of making a frugal living and bringing up his daughter.
The area he lives in is stunning.

something like this is always a good read for some :wink:

a good read.png

hutpik:
If you like historical books the Wellington and Bonaparte Quartet are amazing by Simon Scarrow,and any book by Bernard Cornwell especially the Warrior Chronicles.

all of the “sharpe” series by bernard cornwell.superb stuff.
if world war 2 is of interest a must read is “Lancaster target” by Jack Currie.he was a lanc pilot and tells a superb story of his first operational tour.this can be had from ebay for a couple of quid.(search for jack currie on youtube-he did a couple of documentarys which are on there.riveting stuff)
another must is " the cruel sea" by nicholas monserrat,about a royal navy ■■■■■■ ship on the atlantic convoys-far far better than the excellent film of the book.

cargocargocargo:

seth 70:
Anybody got the guy martin autobiography .what do you reckon to it :question: :question: im not one for books but i fancy that one.

Read it and it’s great if you like bikes/real road racing/trucks/Martin himself. Very revealing, surprising in places and a good read. You can just hear him in the book - “He’s handy with a spanner”.

i thought it was a great read,but i really like guy’s eccentricity.

muckles:
He was a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot and it covers his life from Joining the Air Force at 18 just before the out break of WWII. until just after the Battle of Britain.
Brilliantly written, I couldn’t put it down when reading about his dog fights, but even some of his training flights will have you on the edge of your seat. I could relate to some of the training stuff having learned to fly a glider in the Air Cadets many many years ago.

I believe he’s still alive and I’ve seen him interviewed on telly a few times in recent years, as with all of these men they play down their bravery and achievements.

i think geoffrey wellum’s book is called “first light”.but yes it is a superb book.
i’ve just finished reading robert stanford- tuck’s biography “fight for your life”-brilliant!!
bob stanford tuck was one of our most aggressive and succesful fighter pilots of ww2 ,an amazing read!!
also any book by james holland.his battle of britain book give the story from all sides.you will be surprised by how badly the French let everyone down.

andrew.s:

muckles:

i think geoffrey wellum’s book is called “first light”.but yes it is a superb book.

You are of course right, :blush: No idea why I keep thinking it’s called Dawn Patrol. :laughing:

I liked the early Wilbur Smith novels,the ones about the Courtneys and the Ballantines although the later ones arent so good. If you like crime novels Peter Robinsons Inspector Banks stories are good. Have to agree Lee Child is very good.
For a good laugh if you are not politically correct Richard Littlejohn is a good writer

andrew.s:

muckles:

i’ve just finished reading robert stanford- tuck’s biography “fight for your life”-brilliant!!
bob stanford tuck was one of our most aggressive and succesful fighter pilots of ww2 ,an amazing read!!
also any book by james holland.his battle of britain book give the story from all sides.you will be surprised by how badly the French let everyone down.

Try “The Eighth Passenger”. I think it’s by Miles Tripp. (The 8th passenger in a Lanc is of course…)

Not a book ( but should be ) a good read mind

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=86601

Coffee to Go by Neil Hobbs

Get always good George Orwell- start with 1984.

George Orwell and 1984 was a stunning read.
Known as Big Brother.
What he predicted came true.
The UK has the most Cctcv cameras in the World.
We have microphones in truck cabs that record what you say on a Roadhawk camera.
Rdc’s now have microphones to record verbal abuse by drivers to goods in staff.
If you are involved with an incident on the road and placed in a Police car.
NEVER get in to a formal conversation with the Police while you are sat in the car.
They have microphones.
They are trained to get information out of you.
In a panic ,you say something that will drop you in the ■■■ ■■■.